Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Video Update

Pismo Video Update
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2002, 06:01 PM

I just hooked my Pismo up to a nice new 19" monitor, and the video card is really starting to show it's age. It simply wasn't meant to hand OS X at resolutions like this. Other than the video card, i'm perfectly happy its performamce.

I know that in order to upgrade the video card in a Pismo one would have to solder the new one to the motherboard, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a successful attempt to do so.

uberden
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 12:35 AM

Removing the old chip and soldering in the new chip would destroy the I/O logic board. The video is not upgradable.

Octo
Oct 9, 2002, 10:53 AM

What if the swap was attempted in a state of the art rework facility? I work as a trouble shooter on some pretty complicated stuff and I have access to repair operators who could swap out either a fine pitch or surface mount component for me with out a problem. I'm sure if we had a pin compatiable replacement then there wouldn't be a problem.

Octo

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 11:27 AM

The Prob is not only the GPU. You also have to upgrade the VRAM, means also these chips have to have the same pin-alignment. I think it�s actually unpossible to upgrade the GPU.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules