Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless for old PCI Mac to connect to Airport software basestation

Wireless for old PCI Mac to connect to Airport software basestation
mfox
Oct 14, 2002, 10:40 AM

Greetings. I have an Airport card in my G4 Cube which I have used as a software basestation to my Pismo. (The Cube is directly connected to my gigabit modem supplied by Sympatico for my high-speed connection.) What I'm interested in is having a wireless internet connection with an older, non-airport-ready Mac that my daughter uses in our rec room, about 20 meters from my Cube. At present, her machine is a Power Computing PowerBase but if it made a difference, I also have G4 PCI (Yikes) that she could use. My question is whether the PowerBase or the G4 Yikes could be wireless equipped so as to connect through the Cube's software base station.

Octo
Oct 14, 2002, 11:40 AM

Check out the WET11, from Linksys. It is a ethernet to wireless bridge. You plug a short ethernet cable between the machine in question and the WET11 and then after you configure the WET11, using a web browser, you can access your wireless network. A couple of advantages of this are that there are no additional drivers to install and you also don't have to open up the case of your system to install it.

Octo

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 02:00 PM

Any of these products (assuming they have OS 9 drivers) should work:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

If you're running OS X (which is impossible afaik on the Powerbase, but certainly not out of the question on the G4...) then it's a whole other ballgame.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2002, 03:27 AM

Or you could get one made for macs.
Proxim Skyline PCI card. I have one in a G3'ed 7500: works well in classic OS and they claim support will come for OS X.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

mfox  (op)
Oct 15, 2002, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all these suggestions! I had no idea that there were all these PCI cards out there that can communicate through Airport. The software base station on my Cube will be run through OS X, but if I install the card on my PowerBase, the latter would be running OS 9. I assume that's no problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2002, 01:43 PM

The only problem from running OS 9.X would come from the existence or lack of drivers for the particular card you're interested in.

So far as I can tell there are only about 5 manufacturers of PCMCIA wireless cards (which are the actual link used by the PCI cards). And it looks like there are only two major chipsets used on the wireless cards! There is a lot of crossover of driver applicability; I've seen many posts about using X driver for a Y card (or base station, for that matter). I don't have access to a good list or I'd post it <hint, hint, hint!>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2002, 08:50 AM

I, too, need one of these devices for a 7300.

From reading, I can see that there are LOTS of wireless PCI adapters for PCs, but only a few for Macs (the proxim is one and it's expensive).

The best solution appears to be the WET11. Best price: $100 on pricewatch. No drivers hence any and all networkable OSes (especially OS9 and OSX) are compatible. You could probably go wireless on a System 7 machine (although I'm not sure about TCP/IP and internet browsing on those puppies).

Thanks for the info...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2002, 10:28 AM

The WET-11 is a good solution but it does not support AppleTalk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules