Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Pismo OS X Prob...

Powerbook Pismo OS X Prob...
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 06:10 PM

I have my sister-in-law's Pismo and it is ROYALLY messed up. I am trying to install Jaguar on it by formatting and installing. The only CD's I have are Disk 1 & 2 Jaguar so I can't boot into OS 9 off a CD.

My problem is that the Pismo is getting a KP on boot from the Jag CD and when it DOES boot to the CD the installer can't find the HD to install. Is there something I can do to get this Pismo running with Jag?

HELP!

Mac Guru

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2002, 07:33 PM

Are you sure the Jag CDs are good (have they been used to install the OS successfully on other machines)? There were some problems when it first came out with people getting what were apparently bad CDs and caused problems not unliek what you are describing. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say, except that you should try removing any extra memory that has been installed, etc.

Octo
Dec 22, 2002, 10:40 AM

This might be a silly question, but how much memory do you have in the Pismo? I tried to install 10.2 on my Rev. B iMac with 64 Megs and it would freeze and stop responding at different points of the install.

If you only have 64 Megs, that could be part of the problem.

bighead
Senior User
Dec 22, 2002, 01:47 PM

I was able to install 10.2 on my Pismo no problem. I have 1024 MB of RAM and upgraded it to a 40 GB TravelStar and it works hunky dory. I install from an external LaCie 48/12/48 FireWire CDRW though, because it is faster. Maybe your internal drive is bad?

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2002, 07:48 PM

The Jag CD's are fine as I used them a week ago to install on my iBook 500. As for RAM it has 192MB installed.

I was able to get the install to complete on Disk 1 but it now KP's EVERY time on the Apple screen.

Mac Guru

Forum Links
Forum Rules