Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I network two mac running OS X?

How do I network two mac running OS X?
Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 01:26 PM

I've turned the sharing feature on but that's the extinct of my networking abilities. In 9.1 everything is set but I'm looking to make the transition to X . Any help that tells me what to do step by step would be appreciated.

Thanks.
It's just my humble opinion.

fats
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 10:42 PM

I suppose this should be in usage and support but I'll say how anyways.

You have to have their IP addresses set up, just as you did in OS 9 (except this would be in networking preferences). You can turn on appletalk if you like but I'm not sure if its worth it.

Now in the finder pick go and then connect to server. Type in the IP of the other computer and you get the same login box you got in OS 9. Enter username and password (the username of the account on the other OS X box is a good start) and click ok and you can choose which volumes you want to get on your desktop. From there its just like OS 9 as the disk will show up on your desktop.

Its as easy or easier than it was in OS 9.

Quadzmodo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 10:50 PM

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Prior to recieving your helpful information, I figured it out. You're exactly right, it's easier than 9.1. Thanks again.
It's just my humble opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules