Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Annoying Column View Behavior

Annoying Column View Behavior
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 05:04 PM

So this apparently has been an issue since 10.0, and I'm just now getting pissed off enough to come in here and bitch about it.

I use Column View almost exclusively. I love it. The problem is with the initial opening of a Finder window in Column View after a reboot or login. In the first Finder window I open, while the window itself is the right size and in the right location, the columns are all default size. The solution to this has always been, open new Finder window (don't navigate anywhere), close Finder window, open another Finder window and you're all set.

Three words: WHAT... THE... FU�K??

Is it just me, or has Apple completely missed this bug? I mean come on! How hard could it be to fix this? Why is this still here? Am I in the minority here by using Column View? Is there a 3rd party fix to this? Can someone (this means YOU Apple!) stop the insanity??

Ugh. I usually don't bitch about this sort of stuff, but for some reason it's really chappin' my hide today!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2004, 05:54 PM

If you leave the window open when you log out, doesn't it reappear exactly as you left it when you log back in? I swear mine does...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
If you leave the window open when you log out, doesn't it reappear exactly as you left it when you log back in? I swear mine does...
The window comes back for me (since I left it open); however, my column sizes are different still...

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2004, 06:25 PM

I would like to put out the plea for some smart young programmer to come up with a nice fix for this issue, since Apple has decided that it doesn't exist. Maybe something as simple as an AppleScript that launches at start up/login that opens a Finder window and then closes it. Something more elegant and out of the way would be nicer, but I'll take anything.

(Yeah, I know that opening a Finder window and closing it myself is as easy as blinking, but this is one of those pet peeve things that I just can't deal with.)

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 10:18 AM

You are not alone, yes it has been there since 10.0, yes it is amazingly annoying and yes Apple should have fixed this years ago...

dru
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 01:09 PM

The X Finder is evil. The code gnomes are having their way with us! Revolt!

Try PathFinder from CocoaTech.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 03:10 PM

Yeah, I've been a little annoyed by this since I started using OS X too. Well, at least the Finder window can remember it's size and position (even if you do still have to use a trick to get it to do that , although that "feature" can be nice at times).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

MartiNZ
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 05:18 PM

Yeah, the Finder window size / position thing can be annoying. I've got no idea why the default attributes for those are what they are - it's not quite centred on screen and it's too wide for 4 icons, too narrow for 5 (I mainly use icon view).

I think the best thing would be to have a true 'global' setting for size and position - at least for the brushed metal browser view. Centred horizontally at the top of the screen with the sidebar showing just icons and the window just wide enough to fit 4 across. This is how I have it currently, except that I have to set that for EVERY window, and that's an awful lot!

Then there is the question of why you can't use cmd-~ to switch between finder windows when dragging / copying files. Thankfully Expos� works for that but it would be easier the other way!

As for column view, I've never gotten into it, one of the reasons being the difficulty in saving settings. For similar reasons, I'm glad we have the option in open / save dialogues now as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules