Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > remounting network share on wakeup

remounting network share on wakeup
palmberg
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hope this is the right place to ask this....

A friend has an Applescript set up on his GF's iBook to mount a networked share on a Linux box at startup. Problem is, the iBook drops the share when it goes to sleep. Is there a way to make the iBook remount that share on wake, and not just on startup?
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

utidjian
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
Hope this is the right place to ask this....

A friend has an Applescript set up on his GF's iBook to mount a networked share on a Linux box at startup. Problem is, the iBook drops the share when it goes to sleep. Is there a way to make the iBook remount that share on wake, and not just on startup?
That depends on a number of things... how is the "share" being shared? (NFS, Appletalk, or Samba).

I have a number of Macs that mount shares via NFS from a Linux server. They are configured to mount the share automatically when needed. This has to be configured correctly on both the Linux side and the Mac OS X side.

-DU-...etc...
-DU-...etc...

palmberg  (op)
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 11:00 PM

Yeah, it's using Samba.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

utidjian
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
Yeah, it's using Samba.
Sorry to get back to you so late... I was trying to figure out a way around the unmount-samba-on-sleep problem. I couldn't find a solution.

What works for me and my (very) mixed network of clients is to use:

Windows clients: Samba

Mac OS < X clients: Appletalk (netatalk)

Mac OS X clients: NFS + NIS

Linux clients: NFS + NIS

Other Unix clients: NFS + NIS

I will be moving all the clients to NFS + OpenLDAP by summers end... except for Windows. Windows will be Samba + LDAP.

On the server side I am running Red Hat 9 and Fedora Core on some very ancient but very reliable HP Netservers and custom built hardware.
On the client side I have a mix of iMac-DVs, 17" FP iMacs, G5s, Powermac DPs, Dells, Sun SPARC 20s, iPaqs, Zaurus, and assorted Intel based and Mac laptops.

So far everything is pretty resilient and trouble free. Only problem I have is the Macs need to be rebooted (simplest solution) if the servers go offline during a power outtage. So do the Linux clients if the clients come back up before the servers do. I am working on a system for them to delay certain service startups if it detects that a server it needs for that service is offline... and to start the service once the server comes online.

In any case... with the Mac OS X clients using NFS + NIS/automount I have no problem with the Macs sleeping and then restoring the connection on wakeup. All of this is transparent to the user, as it should be.
-DU-...etc...

Drizzt
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 09:05 PM

I have delays mounting my home share from my RHEL4 server to my Mac clients. The delay can be about 30sec, do you have any idea why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules