Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mouse Movement in OS X...

Mouse Movement in OS X...
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:38 PM

Is there some sort of hack or app that can improve upon the way OS X handles mouse movement. My mouse seems pretty slow, and does not accelerate fast enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2004, 01:39 PM

What kind of mouse? Are there drivers for it?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 01:43 PM

It is a Kensington Optical Elite, and it comes with 'MouseWorks' software, I installed it but find it very annoying that it changes the way the scroll wheel button behaves in OS X, and it does not allow you to change it back (it changes its behaviour to a horizontal scroll movement when it is pressed).

In addition the software adds an ugly icon to the menu bar that cannot be removed.

TIA...

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 02:32 PM

I was in the same boat too with my logitech mouse, but managed to get some drivers for it to make it work right.. Hate Apple's mouse accelration with a passion, much prefer Windows.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
I was in the same boat too with my logitech mouse, but managed to get some drivers for it to make it work right.. Hate Apple's mouse accelration with a passion, much prefer Windows.
Naturally I got to ask...

What did you do to make it work to your liking?

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 03:10 PM

The problem is that most mice (Logitech or Microsoft) seem to have a different resolution than the Apple mice. The Apple mice track amazingly well under OSX. Most drivers for other mice don't. And if you try to use them without a custom driver they truly suck. Microsoft's software is the best I've used, although even its tracking curve isn't as nice as Apple's. Damn I wish Apple had a four button, wheel button, optical mouse. I love Apple's mice but hate the one button.

BTW - I didn't like it as much as the MS drivers, but you might want to try out GamePad Companion which supposedly has custom mice drivers. You could also try MouseZoom which allows more control over tracking speed.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 04:11 PM

thanks for the response(s)..

Any other suggestions?..

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
It is a Kensington Optical Elite, and it comes with 'MouseWorks' software, I installed it but find it very annoying that it changes the way the scroll wheel button behaves in OS X, and it does not allow you to change it back (it changes its behaviour to a horizontal scroll movement when it is pressed).

In addition the software adds an ugly icon to the menu bar that cannot be removed.

TIA...
Can't speak to the mouse movement and the Optical Elite, but I recently--just yesterday!--got an Kensington Expert trackball, so I've been adjusting the MouseWorks preferences since then. Anyway, I didn't like the menu bar item either. All I did was un-check "Display Horizontal Scrolling Indicator in Menu Bar" under the Scrolling section. No more menu item.

HTH.

Uber

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 05:49 PM

hmmm, i never saw that checkbox...

I'll look at it again... regardless MouseWorks does not allow me to reconfigure the scroll wheel button..

the search continues....

EDIT: Reinstalled MouseWorks and I got everything to work as I originally wanted. I just had to be a little bit more patient.

Thanks for all the repsonses..
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Jul 13, 2004 at 06:13 PM. )

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 07:17 PM

USB Overdrive!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by headbirth:
USB Overdrive!
I second that!

I find Apple's mice to be too slow, although the acceleration is good it just never reaches top speed.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Did the drivers you got allow you to make your mouse track like Windows? If so, will you please tell me what mouse and drivers you're using? I also hate Apple's mouse tracking, it just seems off to me.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Did the drivers you got allow you to make your mouse track like Windows? If so, will you please tell me what mouse and drivers you're using? I also hate Apple's mouse tracking, it just seems off to me.
I'm using a Powerbook so had to install 2 pieces of software to try and get decent mouse movement on the trackpad, and when a mouse is plugged in. For the mouse, I've got a bog standard logitech pilot mouse with logitech's drivers, got them from their site.
The logitech drives have been good, got pretty much the speed and accelration I need. For the trackpad though, I installed Sidetrack, it's good for getting a constant sped for trackpad movements, but the pointer jumps a lot for precision movements.

The problem I get from OS X's built-in drivers, is that when the speed is cranked up, the speed for small movements doesn't seem to match. So it feels like pushing the pointer through mud.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
I'll look at it again... regardless MouseWorks does not allow me to reconfigure the scroll wheel button.
Which version of "Mouseworks" do you have? You should be using the most recent version 2.5.1. There is an option under "Scrolling" that says "Wheel button changes scrolling direction". You should uncheck that.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules