Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MAC OS X NEEDS SOUNDS FOR THE FINDER!!!!

MAC OS X NEEDS SOUNDS FOR THE FINDER!!!!
G3 Addict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 12:22 PM

Well I'm a Mac Addict since the Performa, and now i have this beautyful G3 that i use everyday, so, i use the two OS on my G3, i have the OS9.1, and the OSX, so, i miss the sounds of the old OS, now when i open a window on the desktop i wait for the sound that i used to listen, so... dont u think that it will be cool have the sounds back? i feel home with my sounds.. osX doesnt look complete without it!

G3 addict
its only the beggining

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 12:25 PM

NOT RIGHT NOW!!! NOT YET, AT LEAST.

I would REALLY like sounds back too, but IMO it'd be a Bad Thing� to reintroduce right now. Why? Consider the tasking load put on your CPU by Quartz alone. You want it to run sounds at the same time as well? Perhaps when Quartz is more GPU-optimized, we might get something like sound sets back, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2001, 12:25 PM

I know there are some people who like sound-feedback from their OS.. but I think it is a very low priority. There are much more important things for Apple to be worrying about right now than sound feedback. I'm sure that given enough time, there's the chance they will implement them. Keep your fingers crossed, I guess.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2001, 12:27 PM

The damn things slow enough as it is!

There are more important things to worry about like SPEED and functionality before the damn sound sets...

------------------

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2001, 12:58 PM

Soundsets never seemed to slow down OS 8+ to any noticeable extent. I'd like to see them put in X.

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2001, 01:01 PM

ARGH, the damn thing is already so ridiculously bloated with visual appeasements, must we insist upon even MORE? How about things like DVD playback first? Speed? 2D acceleration?

Whatever.

------------------

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 01:10 PM

*Edd holding cipher down a bath of cold water*

But I do agree speed before sound I need function keys god damn it.....

But on the other hand sound IS A functionality of the OS

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by G3 Addict:
.. osX doesnt look complete without it!

G3 addict
Hope you mean it doesn't SOUND complete.

But I have never really noticed how sound enhances my productivity. Though I wouldn't mind it if it did provide useful feedback.

I just don't think sound should be a priority. It's more of an "extra."

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Smircle
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2001, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by G3 Addict:
[..]i miss the sounds of the old OS, now when i open a window on the desktop i wait for the sound that i used to listen, so... dont u think that it will be cool have the sounds back?
Actually I so glad they are gone. One of my collegues had them enabled and I was sometimes near to smothering her.
Feedback via sound was (imho) the single most childish "feature" Apple has ever invented.
What about a journaling file system? A self defragging one? Optimizations? Basic things like Samba? Not sounds please...

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Smircle:
Actually I so glad they are gone. One of my collegues had them enabled and I was sometimes near to smothering her.
Feedback via sound was (imho) the single most childish "feature" Apple has ever invented.
Didnt windows have it first?

Either way I agree that they are annoying. Some of my friends who run windows leave the sounds on, and they are just irritating to listen to. Maybe the mac ones are better (i never enabled them myself so I wouldnt know), but it seems like a useless feature to me. If apple does go ahead and implement them, it shouldnt be for a while. They have much more important things to do to enhance OSX.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 02:26 PM

The problem isn't the noise they create, it's the eerie silence they leave behind if you turn them off!

I have them on all the time, but only the Apple supplied one 'cos it's the only one that's subtle enough not to disturb my work.

I want them back too, but I agree with others that say that functionality and speed is top priority. Extras can wait, but IMO, existing OS < X extras are a higher priority than new ones.

------------------
Just face it - some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue!

[Edit: Woohoo, 500 posts! ]

[This message has been edited by Geobunny (edited 04-26-2001).]
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

LaGow
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2001, 02:29 PM

I like the sounds. It makes me feel like I'm working with something real, something visceral and alive. When I installed OS X, not having the sounds made me feel like something had gone wrong.

Still, it's nothing to get angry or aggressive about�on either side of the issue.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2001, 03:12 PM

This has already been discussed. Let's stop beating the same issues over and over again, shall we?

G3 Addict  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2001, 05:32 PM

well.. u guys answer my question... thanxs anyway, i still miss the sounds.. for me(a graphic Artist) sounds was a real element, because sound sets alert me about everything was happening on the desktop.. and now with osx i notice that maybe its important , its just a kind of mac support to your ideas,, like someone who tells u "great job, keep doin it!" i dont know.. we the artist are crazy people... i hope they listen to the ones who like sounds and make our wishes come true!
G3 Addict
its only the beggining

Raman
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 06:23 PM

In defense of the poor guy.. sound is another stimulus to the user to let them know something has or is about to happen. It is part of the human interface just as sight is.

I personally like the sounds in pre-OSX OS', esp EEP and QUACK.

sadie
Senior User
Apr 26, 2001, 06:42 PM

Elementary psychology: some people really notice sounds, some pictures, some words, some sounds and feelings (that's tactile, not emotional).

For many of us, sound is an annoying extra. But there's a noticable fraction of the population for whom they are an essential part of the interface. You should be able to cater for them.

Agreed that many of them are annoying and tasteless (the sounds, not the people... mostly). So Apple needs to ship with a good number (more than 5 or 6) sensible, subtle sets. Other people will make the crap ones later, you can count on it, but give them an example.

All words are lies. Including these ones.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2001, 10:49 PM

Well, just as I love the bloated, screen-eating Boilerplate theme for Kaleidoscope, I ALSO love the most annoying OS 8/9 soundset ever created....

Yes, ladies and gents, my 7300 at home (still running 8.6) has installed and active, the Myth soundset, complete with clanging swords, twanging bows and zapping lightning. Can't wait to be able to put something like that on my OS X G4....

MUHAHAHAHA!

G Barnett

------------------
Those who are easily offended should be.

And often.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2001, 11:17 PM

Heh, boilerplate is cool isn't it?
I remember that... I like Cecil III too...
I wouldn't use 'em, but, that doesnt' mean I can't like 'em...

------------------

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2001, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Heh, boilerplate is cool isn't it?
I remember that... I like Cecil III too...
I wouldn't use 'em, but, that doesnt' mean I can't like 'em...
Heh heh, that seems to work the other way round too, doesn't it?! You used to say you didn't like OS X, but you used it!

------------------
Just face it - some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Sound Dudee
Apr 27, 2001, 05:52 AM

While I am not to fussed about the feature of having system sounds, I am eagerly awaiting some news on general audio functionality of the OSX.

All my audio apps wont work under classic (soundmanager driver problems).

It is a shame, cause I would love to be using OSX more

I get the feeling it's gonna be a long wait for this one.......dagnamit!

Cipher13
Apr 27, 2001, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Heh heh, that seems to work the other way round too, doesn't it?! You used to say you didn't like OS X, but you used it!
Yeah, I wanted to like it, but, its just too damn sh!t.

------------------

bleen
Senior User
Apr 27, 2001, 10:46 AM

I don't care if Apple puts the option of giving the finder more sound like in OS 9. Just as long as I can have the option to turn it off.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2001, 10:53 AM

I would like some user feedback sound for alerts and the like, but not the everywhere I click kind they drive you mad after a while even the toilet flush sound for emptying the trash

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

Forum Links
Forum Rules