Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newer tech ipod battery -- anyone have it yet?

Newer tech ipod battery -- anyone have it yet?
bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 10:10 AM

Just wondering if anyone with a 1st or 2nd generation ipod has tried one of the newerTech batteries, for $40 (lesser-capacity one $30, I believe). I'm thinking of getting one for my husband's old ipod, as it's way less expensive than an Apple battery.

On the other hand, I'm thinking of getting him a new ipod, too! He'll be 50 in 3 weeks and I was thinking that would be a fine gift...

Anyway, looking for experience with the new batteries, especially ease of installation. Anyone?

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2004, 07:04 PM

Just ordered one of the high capacity $40 model and should receive it today. Will let you know how it turns out. I have to admit I ordered it as soon as I read on xlr8yourmac.com that he (Mike?) got 21 hours or so of continuous use. Even if real-world use is substantially less than that it's got to be better than the 3+ hours I'm currently getting with my 1st gen iPod.

Uber

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 09:37 PM

Thanks. I'll look forward to your comments. In addition to use, I also want to know how difficult it is to install!

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 11:05 PM

Installing an ipod battery in a 2g ipod is mind-numbing easy. All you NEED is an old credit card or hotel room key, which would do great.

Then what you do is take your ipod and examine it, since the metal case is pretty much ALWAYS bigger than the ipod's casing, you should be able to "slide' the casing over enough to stick the card in with no problem..

The real *@#$& is getting it around the corners, but once you've made your way around you should be able to pop the front right off. Be careful of that board at the top!!! Don't pull on the HD ribbon either, and eventually it'll come apart.

The topmost thing is the battery, can't miss it. All you have to do is unplug, swap, and pop the ipod back together. I once did this at a bus stop when I wanted to reset my ipod and all *grin*
Aloha

bgordon
Sep 26, 2004, 11:10 PM

I got the extended life NewerTech battery from Other World Computing a few days ago for my 1G iPod and installed it this past Friday night...on a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy, 10 being hard, I'd say it was about a 3.5 getting the case apart. It's pretty intuitive, once you get going...the hard nylon case-separator tools work well....and the battery already showed 3 bars when I put it in.

I charged it all night Friday, then started the iPod on continuous play at 8 a.m. to see how long it would last. At midnight, 16 hours later, I stopped it with 2 bars (half the battery) remaining. Pretty freakin' impressive, considering I had to recharge the old battery every day...and I even got the NewerTech RoadTrip FM transmitter for $9.95, even though I don't have a car!

From my experience, it's a can't-miss deal, and no, I'm not affiliated in any way whatsoever with the folks who sell it.

- bgordon

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 12:40 AM

I purchased a battery from them for my 3g iPod. Good battery except for the finish.
I needed to trim the protective shirkwrap to get it comfortably fit in the iPod and the power wires were a little longer than the apple battery.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 12:51 AM

this is the first mention i've seen of this. this is awesome. my 1G iPod needs one of these... mmm.

direct link to OWC's page for the 2100 mAh battery (the larger/more expensive of the two):

http://tinyurl.com/6qwcw

Forum Links
Forum Rules