Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Xbox Internet Sharing Over AirPort

Xbox Internet Sharing Over AirPort
iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 01:23 PM

I recently set up my Xbox to work online with Internet Sharing through Panther I searched the forums and could not find anything. So I headed over to the Apple Discussion pages and found this information that I thought I'd post over here to help anyone that might be having trouble getting this to work properly. Thanks to Rob on the Apple boards for this information!

------------------------------------------------------------

I just did the same thing (substitute powerbook for G4) for my brother. The xbox seems to have difficulty obtaining an address from the dhcp server that is started on the Mac as part of the 'share my internet' process. I don't think it's necessary, but I set the ethernet port to "Configure IPV4: Off". I then started internet sharing and checked the IP assigned to the ethernet port (in terminal.app, type "ifconfig en0" [zero, not a capital-o] and it will return the info about the config of the built-in ethernet. On my machine it returns "inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255". I believe OSX always uses 192.168.2.1 but it would be best to check rather than just assuming.

On the xbox, set
IP Configuration: Manual
IP: 192.168.2.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway: 192.168.2.1 [or the address returned from the ifconfig command above if it's different]

DNS Configuration: Manual
[enter the IPs of the dns servers provided by SBC] They should be in the documentation and likely in your router config. If you can't find them, type "dig" in terminal.app and after a bunch of text scrolls by, you'll have a line starting with "SERVER" near the bottom, the IP address in that line is the DNS server your computer is using, so you can enter the same in the xbox settings.
PPPoE Settings: Off
Advanced: Automatic

You should now be able to connect to xbox-live.

Rob

------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps anyone that had has much trouble as myself!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 05:58 PM

You might also want to check out Aquaduct which is the mac client for XBC (Xbox connect). Allows you to play online w/o payinng for live. And you can have your xbox modded
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

pbookwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 11:23 AM

Thanks iPond317. After about two hours of trying to get this up and running I found your thread. Works!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 10:11 PM

Does this work with the 360 as well?

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2006, 11:35 PM

Aquaduct is pretty old and broken, I've found. I just have a cheap PC for running XBC with, and it works great. I can also remotely admin the game with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection app for Mac. It does work with the 360, but I've had some issues with Xbox 1 and Xbox 360's in the same game (Halo 1 games with mixed consoles end in a draw).

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 01:50 AM

Ya know, I wasn't having any problems with matchmaking in Halo 2 until recently. I haven't made any changes to my system nor my Mac and when I send a party invite, the receiving party gets an error saying that live is having a network problem. The same happens on my end if someone sends me a party invite. I'm not quite sure what's going on here, as I've followed the directions above exactly. Anyone run into this problem?
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2006, 02:41 PM

When I plugged an ethernet cable into my xbox 360 to my Windows based laptop "actually windows i.e. toshiba" I was able to connect to live. Can I use Airport on my Macbook to connect to live with the ethernet cable?

Forum Links
Forum Rules