Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ThinkSecret: Tiger 10.4 to be released on April Fools' Day?

ThinkSecret: Tiger 10.4 to be released on April Fools' Day? (Page 3)
Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 12:34 PM

can't wait for friday to come.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 29, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
can't wait for friday to come.
Well, even if it's announced on Friday, it wouldn't actually show up in stores for several more weeks.

BTW, there's no guarantee that 8A425, despite being a Release Candidate, will be the final release. In fact, my guess is that it will not be the Gold Master. It depends on how big the bugs are though. The bit about "Japanese character search in Carbon applications and a glitch on nVidia GeForce cards" may not be a big deal. However, even if 425 does become Gold Master, it will take a few weeks for Tiger to actually hit store shelves.

In the meantime, both AppleInsider and MacRumors have chimed in.

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 04:43 PM

if they announce friday, will there be more information about the operating system? like screenshots, more videos, etc?

would love to see how the final look will be, and maybe a new apple default wallpaper?

-shamir

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Kanji86:
if they announce friday, will there be more information about the operating system? like screenshots, more videos, etc?
It is unlikely that the site will be updated significantly, if that's what you're talking about. If you can get your hands on a video of the announcement, however, that will probably have some demonstrations. This said, it will only be new pictures of the same stuff we've seen before.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
It is unlikely that the site will be updated significantly, if that's what you're talking about. If you can get your hands on a video of the announcement, however, that will probably have some demonstrations. This said, it will only be new pictures of the same stuff we've seen before.
Yeah, I'm looking forward more to the forum posts, online articles and such, since (I assume) the NDA should be lifted that day.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Yeah, I'm looking forward more to the forum posts, online articles and such, since (I assume) the NDA should be lifted that day.
Me too. It should be quite crowded in here by then.

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 08:44 PM

great - thats all i really wanted to know. im dieing to see what the final build will look like...hoping they will include some nice visual effects as well...

thanks all, lookin forward to seeing some screens, reviews, movies etc.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 09:19 PM

Yummy.

Moose
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 10:19 PM

BTW, there's no guarantee that 8A425, despite being a Release Candidate, will be the final release. In fact, my guess is that it will not be the Gold Master.
Just to clarify, "final release" and "gold master" are one and the same.
It depends on how big the bugs are though. The bit about "Japanese character search in Carbon applications and a glitch on nVidia GeForce cards" may not be a big deal.
They are.
The NDA will be lifted when it has been released--in other words, when people who aren't under NDA can have a copy in their grubby hands that they didn't obtain improperly.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Just to clarify, "final release" and "gold master" are one and the same.
I know. I'm just saying that I think 425 isn't the final release/gold master.

They are.
OK then, if true then we know that 425 isn't final release/gold master.

The NDA will be lifted when it has been released--in other words, when people who aren't under NDA can have a copy in their grubby hands that they didn't obtain improperly.
Well, I guess it depends on how Apple defines it. If that's they way they've defined it then fine, but oftentimes an NDA is lifted before stuff actually hits store shelves, as you know. However, since I am not privy to NDA'd information, I don't know what the situation is here. Are you giving us a hint.?

Moose
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 11:11 PM

Well, I guess it depends on how Apple defines it. If that's they way they've defined it then fine, but oftentimes an NDA is lifted before stuff actually hits store shelves, as you know. However, since I am not privy to NDA'd information, I don't know what the situation is here. Are you giving us a hint.?
I'm saying that Apple's NDAs, in general, apply to pre-release software (and hardware).

Tiger will not be considered "released" until the general public can obtain it through legitimate means.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 12:16 AM

bah trying to save for trip to europe. i guess i'll splurge .
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 12:19 AM

Tiger will not be considered "released" until the general public can obtain it through legitimate means.
I can't remember, but do most stores get it simultaneously for release?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember local stores may not have had Jag in stock when the NDA lifted. I dunno, maybe it was just a few stores, or they just had a few copies which were immediately sold out or something.

EDIT

Speaking of broken NDAs...

Here is some (more) talk of Tiger's supposed support of pivoting screens. Previously people were saying it must be Power Macs using ATI's retail video card software. However, this example uses a PowerBook (ie. built-in GPU) which also supports pivoting screens.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 30, 2005 at 12:37 AM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 10:03 AM

I can't remember, but do most stores get it simultaneously for release?
Apple has been inconsistent about this in the past, so it's not really possible to determine for sure.

Sometimes they announce a release date, in which case stores get it shortly before the release date, but they may not sell it until the release date. When that happens, preorders get shipped on the release date, so it can actually be faster to go to a store. The OSX 10.1 release was done in this way, though there was a twist: stores couldn't sell Puma before the date, but they could put it on display models. This caused quite a few people to start monitoring the Apple Stores on a regular basis.

Sometimes, however, Apple announces a shipping date, in which case everyone -stores and preorders alike- are shipped their copies on the same day. Stores can start selling immediately in this case, but it will usually be faster to preorder. I believe that the 10.3 release was done this way.

Whichever date they announce, that date is usually when the NDA is lifted.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 04:48 PM

eWeek rehashes the rumours: Tiger on Track for Mid-April Release

It is understood that Build 8A425 was distributed both internally and to selected key developers last Tuesday, and unless major new issues are discovered it will be the last significant milestone before the product goes gold master.

The build includes only two significant glitches, concerning Japanese language support in some Carbon-based applications, and issues with some Nvidia GeForce graphics cards.

Assuming that no major issues appear, this means that the product is on track for release about mid-April, although it could be pushed back by up to a week if required.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 01:04 AM

1 more day....
iamwhor3hay

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 09:14 AM

Now when you go to Apple Mac OS X page you're greeted front and centre with the Tiger demo.

How long has it been like this? Previously, Tiger was much less prominently displayed.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 09:24 AM

Now when you go to Apple Mac OS X page you're greeted front and centre with the Tiger demo.

How long has it been like this? Previously, Tiger was much less prominently displayed.
Since Macworld this year
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Since Macworld this year
You sure? I seem to remember that it was on the front page, but not the primary focus of the page. Now it's the first thing you see.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 10:22 AM

You sure? I seem to remember that it was on the front page, but not the primary focus of the page. Now it's the first thing you see.
OptimusG4 is right, it has been the primary focus already for quite some time now. Nothing new to see.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 10:39 AM

OK then, thanks for the clarification.

BTW, Tiger has now appeared for pre-order on ValCenter.ch which is a Swiss online Mac store. However, they don't expect delivery until May. Also, the Detroit Free Press is wondering it's going to show up in the next few weeks too.

Overall, given the current status of things in general, I'm thinking/guessing a late April release (where people can actually buy Tiger from brick & mortar store shelves) is the most likely. Apple will have the final release version on hand for NAB for the new cool Apple video software, and Tiger is shipping shortly afterwards. (I admit though, that Apple does not need to have the Gold Master for NAB just to demo software. It'd just be nice if they did.)

The previous rumoured April 15 release date seems to be pushing it though. Whatever the case, we may (or may not) find out tomorrow. Happy April Fools Day!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 06:39 PM

AI: 8A428 is Gold Master

Assuming this is not some early April Fools joke: w00t!!!
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 31, 2005 at 06:47 PM. )

osxisfun
Mar 31, 2005, 07:02 PM

how far did the last "panther released to stores if you bought it within the last X weeks you get it for free" go back?

thks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
how far did the last "panther released to stores if you bought it within the last X weeks you get it for free" go back?

thks.
You're joking, right?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2005, 07:08 PM

AI: 8A428 is Gold Master

Assuming this is not some early April Fools joke: w00t!!!
w00t. im realy excited about Tiger launching, mainly bc its the only new OS release I've seen since switching.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
You're joking, right?
You don't even think it will make it back to last Thursday? I've just bought a new PowerBook! Still, I'll be fine paying for the upgrade, and I hope they do a t-shirt for it like with Panther .

osxisfun
Mar 31, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
You're joking, right?
no.

I should have added - for people that just bought a new mac.

does anyone remember how far a pruchaser of a new mac during the last OS release period got a free upgrade from jag to panther?

was it 2 weeks or a month? other?

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 07:26 PM

I think it would be amusing if when tomorrow comes ThinkSecret posts "Syke" in big letters on their site.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
I think it would be amusing if when tomorrow comes ThinkSecret posts "Syke" in big letters on their site.
you mean "psyche," which comes from the same root word as psychology and psychedelic.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Mar 31, 2005, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
you mean "psyche," which comes from the same root word as psychology and psychedelic.
yeah but i prefer syke it's more Anglo, English is such a weird language of-topic: I wonder how many other people here are non-native speakers.
edit: Hellenikaws ton logon hoidaw. I forgot I studied ancient greek in school.
( Last edited by MacManMikeOSX; Mar 31, 2005 at 08:01 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
I would suggest "psych." "Psyche" is already a differently pronounced word. Though "syke" does actually seem to be the most common spelling.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

osxisfun
Mar 31, 2005, 09:13 PM

apple site says when the publicly anounce tiger is available for pre/ordering.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 10:22 PM

apple site says when the publicly anounce tiger is available for pre/ordering.
I realize that you're probably in GMT or even ahead of it, but you're still a little early for most of our readers. April 1 isn't for another three hours over here.

osxisfun
Mar 31, 2005, 10:27 PM

huh? GMT? I am on the west coast.

i meant, i went to the apple support section (10.4) and they have a FAQ that states what i posted above...

so, i'll be hoping its soon

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 07:58 AM

It's 6:00 AM here in Houston. Still no announcement on the Apple site.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 08:44 AM

huh? GMT? I am on the west coast.

i meant, i went to the apple support section (10.4) and they have a FAQ that states what i posted above...

so, i'll be hoping its soon

I hope it didn't, cos what you said made next to no sense at all. Apple can usually do better than that.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 10:23 AM

I was thinking I would wait until 10.4.1 before I upgraded, but perhaps I won't have to wait that long:

The build reportedly still had a few outstanding issues, but those were not expected to delay Tiger's release. They are expected to be fixed in the next free (downloadable) update to the operating system.

Considering it will take several weeks before it actually hits store shelves, by the time it actually ships, maybe we'll already be at the point where the most important niggling issues have been solved.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 10:35 AM

I was thinking I would wait until 10.4.1 before I upgraded, but perhaps I won't have to wait that long:

The build reportedly still had a few outstanding issues, but those were not expected to delay Tiger's release. They are expected to be fixed in the next free (downloadable) update to the operating system.

Considering it will take several weeks before it actually hits store shelves, by the time it actually ships, maybe we'll already be at the point where the most important niggling issues have been solved.
One can assume that if 10.4 has gone gold, there's a team already working on 10.4.1, even as 10.4.0 is being sent off to packaging.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
One can assume that if 10.4 has gone gold, there's a team already working on 10.4.1, even as 10.4.0 is being sent off to packaging.
And if these remaining Tiger 'issues' are not to delay the release, one can assume that the team working on 10.4.1 has the orders to finish the job by the Tiger release date.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2005, 10:50 AM

So if they were to release it today at what time do they normally do this? Whenever they feel like it?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Abit667:
So if they were to release it today at what time do they normally do this? Whenever they feel like it?
9:00 AM Pacific would be a good guess, but who knows?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Abit667:
It's Apples product. Why wouldn't they be able release it whenever they feel like it?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
Yes of course, but IIRC, it took longer with previous OS releases, but I may be misremembering. If it truly took longer previously, I'm hoping it won't take as long this time.

Anyways, maybe I won't wait if everyone says 10.4.0 works well for them. Everyone being people with CPU upgrade cards, of which my Cube has one. My Cube also has a bazillion peripherals plugged into it. I'm less worried about my TiBook though. It's not my primary machine, and I don't have anything critical on it. I just need to be able to use iPhoto, Photoshop, Office, and Keynote on it.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2005, 11:13 AM

hmmm...

Apple's Small Business site now lists only Tiger when you click on the 'Mac OS X' link. Not sure how long its been like this...

http://www.apple.com/business/

The link takes you here:

http://www.apple.com/business/tiger.html
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 11:48 AM

1047am est...and the apple website is down...

could this be???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
1047am est...and the apple website is down...

could this be???
It's not down here! They must like you...

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2005, 11:55 AM

blah, come on guys, be serious! Only post if u know something
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 11:59 AM

oops! april fool's...

(sorry, had to get someone, since my girlfriend got me first today...)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:59 AM

How long before it shows up on a Torrent is the real question everyone is wondering

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 12:02 PM

Tiger Woods signs long-term deal with Apple Computer as Mac OS X 'Tiger' spokesperson

"Tiger Woods and Apple Computer is the perfect marriage, with both of us striving to be the best. With OS X, Apple is the industry innovator in operating systems and our "Tiger+Tiger" partnership help tell the world about the benefits of using Mac OS X,� said Steve Jobs, Apple�s CEO. �Others are now following OS X�s taillights, and "Tiger+Tiger" will make it even harder for them to ever catch up.�

Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger" will be available on Friday, April 15, 2005 beginning at 8:00 p.m. through the Apple Store�, at Apple�s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $129 (US). Users with a .Mac membership can take full advantage of all the innovative new features in Tiger to synchronize their information between multiple Macs. More information on Tiger can be found at http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/

Forum Links
Forum Rules