Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger and slow print dialogues

Tiger and slow print dialogues
desertmac
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 10:08 AM

Overall I am very happy with Tiger. Have noticed, however, print dialogues take b/w 8-10 seconds now to appear. I always get a spinning beach ball, regardless of the application or how complicated the document.

Anybody else noticing this?

For the record, I did a simple update. I have a 15" 1.67 PB with 1 Gb of Ram.

Any feedback appreciated.

PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:17 AM

Actually Tiger broke my printing completely. Whenever i click the print-button, nothing happens. -But if i choose "print" in the contextual menu i Finder, it works.

Does anybody have any idea of what's going on?

This is for all users and reinstalling a printer doesn't help.

PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:33 AM

btw. This is what i get in Console, whenever i click "Print":

cupsd mach_msg error (ipc/rcv) timed out

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 11:41 AM

It's the opposite for me, I think the print window shows up even faster under Tiger. There again, I did an Archive/Install and not an Update...

PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 11:47 AM

I think I nailed my problem. By moving a xerox pdd plug-in for /Library/Printing to the xerox folder, i can now print. -But still get the same errors in the console.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 12:37 PM

My PB stalled out for over a minute when I went to manually select the PPD file for my Calcomp Ecopro. I also stalled for a good long time (2-3 minutes) in Illustrator 10 when I went to set the PPD there in the Separation dialog.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2005, 12:41 PM

On my 700MHz flat panel iMac the print dialog box slides down in 2 seconds. I did a clean install of Tiger.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 03:34 PM

I'm experiencing the same problems as desertmac. It took about 50-60 seconds before the print dialog came out. I only have one printer setup (HP PSC 2210) which Tiger has default drivers for. Installing HP's own drivers don't solve the problem.

What I did to remedy it was to delete the printers, then from the application I wanted to print from (e.g. Preview), I'd select File > Print. The print dialog will allow you to add a printer from there. I reinstalled the printer driver and was able to print.

Now, it takes about 3-4 seconds for the print dialog to come out on the first try, and about 1-2 seconds thereafter.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 03:48 PM

My printer has slowed down. I'm going to hunt around for a new driver.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
I'm experiencing the same problems as desertmac. It took about 50-60 seconds before the print dialog came out. I only have one printer setup (HP PSC 2210) which Tiger has default drivers for. Installing HP's own drivers don't solve the problem.

What I did to remedy it was to delete the printers, then from the application I wanted to print from (e.g. Preview), I'd select File > Print. The print dialog will allow you to add a printer from there. I reinstalled the printer driver and was able to print.

Now, it takes about 3-4 seconds for the print dialog to come out on the first try, and about 1-2 seconds thereafter.
Thanks very much for this suggestion. This worked for me.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 09:36 PM

Actually, I THOUGHT that had worked. Here's what happens now. When I first go to print from any program, I get a beachball delay of about 7-10 seconds. After this first time of printing, each subsequent time I print from within the same program, the dialogue box appears in 1-2 seconds.

If I go to a different program, however, the pattern repeats itself: first time printing, 7-10 seconds. Subsequent prints, instantly. If I close the program and reopen it, the pattern again repeats itself: first time printing, 7-10 seconds. Subsequent prints, instantly.

Is this what other folks are experiencing?

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 09:40 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing. When i select PRINT, i get a beachball for 5-7 seconds and then the printer dialogue box comes up. Really wierd!!!!!

I'm also having trouble shutting down my computer. I would say 1 out of every 13 shutdowns crashes the computer. It's not that often, but it's annoying.

Other than these two issues, everything works great!!!!!

johnt519
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 10:10 PM

I noticed this the first day or two of running Tiger. I traced the problem to an updated cups.conf file that wasn't put in place.

I submitted this hint to Macosxhints.com:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50430110718551
( Last edited by johnt519; May 5, 2005 at 01:04 AM. )

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by johnt519
I noticed this the first day or two of running Tiger. I traced the problem to an updates cups.conf file that wasn't put in place.

You submitted that? THANKS! It worked like a charm for me. Now if I could only get my wireless working and the syncing working I'd be awesome. :-)

Have fun... Tony.

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by johnt519
I noticed this the first day or two of running Tiger. I traced the problem to an updates cups.conf file that wasn't put in place.

Thanks for this hint! . . . AND . . . for someone who is not very familiar with working in terminal, can you walk me through the process in a step-by-step fashion. Sorry for the ask, just don't want to make a mistake at that level.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

johnt519
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by AuPhalanx
You submitted that? THANKS! It worked like a charm for me. Now if I could only get my wireless working and the syncing working I'd be awesome. :-)
Yep, that was mine. I have no idea why it got posted as Anonymous...

Originally Posted by desertmac
Thanks for this hint! . . . AND . . . for someone who is not very familiar with working in terminal, can you walk me through the process in a step-by-step fashion. Sorry for the ask, just don't want to make a mistake at that level.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
That article pretty much steps you through it, but I'll repeat it here.

Start up terminal. At the prompt type (DON'T type the %'s, those are the terminal prompts, yours may look slightly different) hit return at the end of each line:

% cd /etc/cups
% sudo mv cupsd.conf cupsd.conf.mybackup
% sudo cp cupsd.conf.default cupsd.conf

(or just select and copy the command from this message and paste it into the terminal)

Now, type

% ps -ax | grep cups

A like similar to this will display:

155 ?? Ss 0:02.23 /usr/sbin/cupsd

The first number will be different, make note of it. Now enter:

% sudo kill -HUP 155

Using the same number you noted above. This line will restart the printing system. Try calling up a print dialog and you should be all set.

-- jt

desertmac  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:27 AM

REALLY appreciate the step-by-step. I needed the extra guidance. (The % hint alone essential!).

Followed the steps . . . and so far so good. THANK you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules