Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.1 is released!

10.4.1 is released! (Page 2)
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by echosphere
Is there a link to the Combo update?
I wondered that myself.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
One thing that 10.4.1 has broken is the SpamCop mail.bundle...it worked fine under 10.4.0 but upon launch you get a message that it is no longer compatible and gets moved to a bundles (disabled) folder.

just tried to install the JunkMatcher bundle and 10.4.1 does not like that either.....
SpamSieve is the same.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 10:11 PM

Working like a champ so far!

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 10:23 PM

Just updated, now all thats left is to wait and see.

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 10:24 PM

Hi, all!

After installing this update, the Translator widget no longer works. This update also did not fix the AirPort problem that my iBook has had since I installed Tiger on it. Other than that, everything seems to be in fine working order. I'm of the opinion that Tiger was a bit rushed. It's definitely awesome technology and Spotlight is definitely a winner, but Tiger sure does need some polishing.

Have fun... Tony.

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:36 PM

Something I noticed immediately after restart, my comp (iMac G5/1.8) went to sleep right as I was working 3 times within a minute. This "sleep for no reason" happened to me once with 10.4 (recently, too), and it is very annoying. I never ever use sleep and have all preferences related to sleep disabled. I don't see how this could be an install problem (I did a clean install for 10.4). The only third party stuff I have installed that could affect the system is USB Overdrive and Snapz and I do not see how either could cause it.
Genius. You know who.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 10:43 PM

SpamSieve update is on the way, BTW. The beta is working just fine with Mail now.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro:
Making a new Bundles Folder and replacing the .mailbundle does not work, therefore they are broke.

T
actually, tetenal is correct...they are just disabled (as mail tells you when you launch it with the bundles there). if you edit your mail pref file via terminal with the command "defaults write com.apple.mail BundleCompatibilityVersion 2" the SpamCop bundle seems to work okay again.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 11:23 PM

actually, tetenal is correct...they are just disabled (as mail tells you when you launch it with the bundles there). if you edit your mail pref file via terminal with the command "defaults write com.apple.mail BundleCompatibilityVersion 2" the SpamCop bundle seems to work okay again.
Well, not to pick nits, but of you have to start 'fixing' things, it was broke.

FYI, this happens with a lot of .bundles such as Growl, etc.

So updates, or 'fixes', are required.

T

Red Dwarf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 11:26 PM

One thing that 10.4.1 has broken is the SpamCop mail.bundle...it worked fine under 10.4.0 but upon launch you get a message that it is no longer compatible and gets moved to a bundles (disabled) folder.

just tried to install the JunkMatcher bundle and 10.4.1 does not like that either.....
Likewise. Updated to 10.4.1 and received the same message on opening Mail.app. Spamsieve worked great in 10.4. Tried to re-install, but gets moved out to disabled bundles folder.
Will have to wait of the author of Spamsieve to come up with a fix. Meanwhile its back to manually clearing the spam.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 11:26 PM

As for the Scrollbar graphic anomaly in Safari for a few websites and forums(the scrollbar leaving trail of bits of itself) a few people here at MacNN and MacAddict also experienced it but I myself didn't file a bug report on this yet. I think, Me and some other guy talked about this in a Mac OSX Tiger bug thread here, a short while ago.
Reported bugs often don't get fixed, but unreported bugs NEVER get fixed.

Wade

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
Something I noticed immediately after restart, my comp (iMac G5/1.8) went to sleep right as I was working 3 times within a minute. This "sleep for no reason" happened to me once with 10.4 (recently, too), and it is very annoying. I never ever use sleep and have all preferences related to sleep disabled. I don't see how this could be an install problem (I did a clean install for 10.4). The only third party stuff I have installed that could affect the system is USB Overdrive and Snapz and I do not see how either could cause it.
Its done this a couple of times already on my 20" 1.8 G5 iMac also. Not on my G4 powerbook though..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 11:39 PM

i've had a steady 4 bars on my airport signal since 10.4 (in 10.3.x, varied 2-4 bars).

not sure it's the update, but only 2 bars now...! same location (desk)...!

hoping this is not update-related...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tbd
May 16, 2005, 11:45 PM

the carbon emacs (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...cspackage.html) broke on 10.4.1. when i launch it i get some error to the extent that "the program died as soon as it was launched." i tried re-downloading, same problem. =(

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:46 PM

I think the most annoying thing in 10.4 to me are the Recovered Files in the Trash on every reboot. Still there in 10.4.1.

leperkuhn
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 11:47 PM

AFP shares not showing up anymore.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I think the most annoying thing in 10.4 to me are the Recovered Files in the Trash on every reboot. Still there in 10.4.1.
Why is that annoying?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 11:57 PM

Because I keep my Trash empty all the time, and when I have to check it to see what's in there that I didn't put in there, it annoys me. It didn't annoy me in Panther because it didn't do it in Panther.

Surely no one at any point in their life has said "Golly, it sure would be great if there were a bunch of 0kb files in my trash every time I rebooted!"

fisherKing
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Why is that annoying?

annoys me as well. we got thru 10.2 and 10.3 without that; why is it necessary or useful now?
(seriously, why do we have this??)

if i boot up, and the trash is full, i have to check to see what's there (in most cases i empty before shutting down), then empty it.

just more to do...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

legacyb4
Mac Elite

Installed 10.4 day before yesterday and did 10.4.1 just now; guess it wasn't long enough time to encounter any overt bugs so everything seems fine now.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 12:21 AM

My PowerBook still doesn't connect to the base station when it wakes up from sleep. I have to manually select it from the Airport menu. Also, files that I download to the desktop still appear below the dock.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 12:23 AM

I've updated to 10.4.1 - Dual 2GHz G5 - all is running well after restart. I'm happy to report that all my VPN slowness is now gone (using VPN Tracker from Equinux). My VPN connections to work under 10.4 were 4-5 times slower than using 10.3.x. Now, after the update, things are back to being quick. Thank you Apple!

Everything else seems to be running fine, so far. Yeah. Great update.

JSD303

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
annoys me as well. we got thru 10.2 and 10.3 without that; why is it necessary or useful now?
(seriously, why do we have this??)

if i boot up, and the trash is full, i have to check to see what's there (in most cases i empty before shutting down), then empty it.

just more to do...
Why shutdown your computer?

Sporty G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 01:45 AM

I was hoping that 10.4.1 would restore the perfect 1080p Quicktime 7.0 playback that I had acheived with my DP 1.8GHz G5 under Panther, but alas it is still crap.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 01:49 AM

Is the debug code removed?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Of all the features to bring back from the classic Mac OS. . . That's pretty funny. What files are found therein?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 02:01 AM

Usually seems to be stuff from Word, which has been locking up a bit in Tiger....

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Of all the features to bring back from the classic Mac OS. . . That's pretty funny. What files are found therein?
Lots of different file names, no application associated. About 20 files, but the only ones that stick out in my head was one named "eels" (I had been playing some Eels songs yesterday) and a few others named after some of my AIM contacts. Not sure if they were related to iChat or Adium. All the files I checked were zero kb.

I've never used the classic Mac OS for more than like 5 minutes. Was there an actual usable reason for this? Is there something wrong with my system that these files are having to be recovered?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 02:11 AM

Yeah, in the classic Mac OS you'd find a Temporary Items folder after a reboot with pretty useless files that irresponsible apps like Netscape would leave. These were files that the apps were supposed to clean up upon quitting but did not. It sounds like the same thing is happening in Tiger now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:16 AM

i hope this fixes the sleep problem i magically got in the past few days.
iamwhor3hay

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sideus
We've got a funny one here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
These were files that the apps were supposed to clean up upon quitting but did not. It sounds like the same thing is happening in Tiger now.
So, out of curiosity, presuming the apps weren't cleaning up properly under previous versions of OS X either, what was happening to the files in 10.3 and 10.2? Were they being deleted automatically, or just hanging around forever?

Edit: I am guessing this is OS X's equivalent of CHK files in Windows. And I'll admit that putting them in the Trash makes a lot more sense than leaving them all over the root of your boot drive. Still annoying, though.
( Last edited by jasonsRX7; May 17, 2005 at 02:28 AM. )

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by sideus
It will be one of the 200+ new features in 10.5.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 02:31 AM

JunkMatcher is just updated

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22023

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 02:35 AM

Is any one else having a problem with the translation widget? It will not work for me since the .1 upgrade today. I thought a restart would remedy it, but alas it did not.

Have fun... Tony.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 03:23 AM

Yeah, in the classic Mac OS you'd find a Temporary Items folder after a reboot with pretty useless files that irresponsible apps like Netscape would leave.
Heheh, the irresponsible app that leaves behind items in my Tiger trash can is Mail.

Could anyone else comment on the translation widget? That's going to really annoy me if it doesn't work. I'm trying to learn two languages here!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by AuPhalanx
Is any one else having a problem with the translation widget? It will not work for me since the .1 upgrade today. I thought a restart would remedy it, but alas it did not.

Have fun... Tony.
Works fine on my machine.

Oh, and to those wondering why the Recovered Files show up - if an app crashes, and you had unsaved data, there's a chance that some of that unsaved data will be in a temp file. If this ever happens to be the case, you'll be damn glad that OS X recovered those files for you. For all other cases, it's easy just to empty the trash...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

neely
May 17, 2005, 03:33 AM

10.4.1 is not showing up in Software Update for me (yes, I do have 10.4 ). iTunes 4.8 never showed up either; had to download that manually. Anyone else having the same issue?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 03:34 AM

iTunes 4.8 didn't show up for me either. But 10.4.1 did. You can download the update manually from Apple's website too.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Oh, and to those wondering why the Recovered Files show up - if an app crashes, and you had unsaved data, there's a chance that some of that unsaved data will be in a temp file. If this ever happens to be the case, you'll be damn glad that OS X recovered those files for you. For all other cases, it's easy just to empty the trash...
The thing is, this made perfect sense in OS 9 and below. Whenever an app crashed the OS went down with it and you had to reboot. You'd then find the temp files as recovered files in the trash. When an app crashes in OS X nobody would ever usually do a reboot, so if there is some useful data left in the temp folder people may not notice it for days or weeks.

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 03:47 AM

Doesn't fix Address Book's inability to connect to a Motorola V600, but then I'm not sure you ever could.
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The thing is, this made perfect sense in OS 9 and below. Whenever an app crashed the OS went down with it and you had to reboot. You'd then find the temp files as recovered files in the trash. When an app crashes in OS X nobody would ever usually do a reboot, so if there is some useful data left in the temp folder people may not notice it for days or weeks.
True, people do not reboot OS X that often (or should not be) - I average 28 day uptimes on my G5, but if there is something valuable in a temp file, it's nice that it's retained in the trash. Of course, I never got anything useful out of Recovered Items in the classic Mac OS, and it does not sound like they will be of much use in OS X.

I don't know what happened to those files in Panther and below, Jason; that's a good question. The only temp files I found right now in Panther were stored in application support folders.

bondsteel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:07 AM

httpmail gets disabled by Mail upon initial start up of 10.4.1, but works fine if you reinstall it again.

Parky
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:43 AM

I get a Kernel Panic every time I shutdown my PowerBook 12".

I've done the usual Repair Permissions, etc, but it happens every time !!!!

Bring back 10.4

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 06:11 AM

Doesn't fix my problems: DVD player still shows almost nothing but green noise, the Adaptec SCSI driver kernel panics on restart, and the Apple SCSI driver won't let the computer sleep.

Now hoping for fixes in 10.4.2!

Barney.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by barney ntd
DVD player still shows almost nothing but green noise
Did you update to DVD Player 4.6?

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 06:30 AM

The translator widget works here. You just have to wait a while before it translates. It's a matter of seconds here.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 06:48 AM

No problems so far on a G5, everything works fine.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Did you update to DVD Player 4.6?
Yup. Did that when it came out. The problem seems to be specific to the Radeon 8500 in Sawtooth G4s without processor upgrades. There's another thread about this. VLC works OK.

tae667
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 07:02 AM

Still no love for latest Series 60 phones in iSync

Forum Links
Forum Rules