Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 Clock Speed Compared to Pentium M

G4 Clock Speed Compared to Pentium M
iDORK
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2005, 02:27 AM

Hi there,

Excuse me if this question has been posed numerous times, I tried searching and didn't find a solid answer but can someone please explain how do you calculate roughly the speeds of G4 compare to PC Pentium M ?

Thanks so much for your help on this!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 02:43 AM

You can't really, because the OSen are so different.

Memory management and multitasking, for example, are much more effective on OS X, so the Powerbook will handle heavy loads far more gracefully than any Windows machine.

For simple number crunching, though, the Pentium M machines are faster.

iDORK  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2005, 09:36 AM

Ahhh thank you!

I remember reading somewhere someone had a comparison between a Pentium M and a G4 processor in terms of MHz. I can't recall what that was. Any idea?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 09:54 AM

Roughly the same clock for clock I'd say. But does it matter? I don't own any particular Windows software, I don't run any Windows software, the code base I am running is all different from anything compiled for an x86 (or specifically P-M), and the Windows machines often have the overhead of virus programs running the background, etc.

But on the other side, if you are a sworn Linux guy or something, then of course your question should be very relevant.

Or if you are really asking on how it'll perform in games, well that again my friend is a whooole other story.

Your question is very relative, so if you can settle with "roughly the same clock for clock", thats perfectly fine conclusion.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 12:01 PM

Pentium M processors can be had in "faster speeds" than G4s, since they're "clock for clock", but Pentium M machines also tend to have "intel EXTREME integrated graphics!!!!!!!" which is the equivalent of a piece of doggy doo doo on a PCB, so depending on your needs you might not win too well -- I imagine a Pentium M 2ghz will compile an app faster than a 1.67ghz g4 depending on how well you play your cards, but it certainly won't be able to do it like OS X can, if that really matters to you
Aloha

Xanadu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 01:34 PM

especially since Pentium M processors have 1 or even 2 MB of level 2 cache, wheras the G4 processors have only 512kb, which is the reason why clock-speed is no longer becoming the single most important feature in terms of measuring processor 'speed' these days...

drHo
Jun 3, 2005, 08:17 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2005...ntium4-03.html

hmm...according to this, the Pentium M is faster clock for clock than the P4, and its even faster than the mighty AthlonFX once in desktop form! interesting, i say if you pair a Pentium M to a graphics card (not intel extreme crap) it should rape the G4.
" pc's feel cheap like a dirty whore..."

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jun 3, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Link
Pentium M processors can be had in "faster speeds" than G4s, since they're "clock for clock", but Pentium M machines also tend to have "intel EXTREME integrated graphics!!!!!!!" which is the equivalent of a piece of doggy doo doo on a PCB, so depending on your needs you might not win too well
There are Pentium M Centrino laptops with good GPU's out now. Dothan Centrino laptops support PCIe graphics cards.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by drHo
…i say if you pair a Pentium M to a graphics card (not intel extreme crap) it should rape the G4.
Why such graphic language?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules