Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook RAM Problem?

New Powerbook RAM Problem?
dgold105
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

I got one of the new powerbooks with the DDR2 memory. I bought 2Gb RAM and installed it. I have been having this strange problem that is very erratic and I have not found a way to replicate it (although it happens a few times a day). Basically first the mouse or trackpad acts funny for about a minute (slow to move etc.) and then my airport connection goes off (i.e. it doesn't see my access point at all). It I log out and then back in doesn't fix the problem - only a restart does. Problem seems to mainly happen when I am downloading a lot of stuff. I did a clean install and the problem was still there. I am thinking it might be the RAM as I haven't been able to replicate the problem with the original RAM that came with the machine. I returned the RAM to the store I bought it from and bought new RAM from a different store today (different brand) and the same problems arose again.

Does anyone think it would be the RAM causing this kind of problem? Are there differences in the different chipsets of DDR2 out there? I followed the Apple specs in buying the RAM and one of the sets of RAM I bought off an Apple dealer.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 12:31 PM

It could be the ram although it seems unlikely. I would boot from Disc 1 included with the PowerBook with the option key down and select hardware test. Then run the extended test and see if the ram passes. If so, then it's unlikely it's the ram although not impossible. I bought 2GB DDR2 from crucial.com and don't see anything like this. I should note I got a new 17" and it died within three days with an apparent logic board failure so these things can happen. The replacement seems fine.

If your problem is happening multiple times a day, the best way to test is to put the original ram back in and run it for a day to see if it happens. If not, then it does point to the ram being a problem.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 12:45 PM

I'd try to replicate it with the original RAM. If you can't then you've hit a lot of bad RAM.
Unfortunately just because the numbers match doesn't mean the RAM will work. Some chipsets are more tolerant of "different" RAM, but Apple's aren't.

If you can't replicate the problem with the original RAM, throw $240 at Crucial for 2GB.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 12:46 PM

Is it similar to my issue? Stock, w BTO 100GB-7200rpm HDD; no new RAM (tried that Value RAM, PowerBook wouldn't boot up ).

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by dgold105
Basically first the mouse or trackpad acts funny for about a minute (slow to move etc.) and then my airport connection goes off (i.e. it doesn't see my access point at all). It I log out and then back in doesn't fix the problem - only a restart does. Problem seems to mainly happen when I am downloading a lot of stuff.
Exact same problem here, with stock RAM. I've had it happen 3x, only when downloading a lot using eDonkey2000. Downloading a lot through other programs hasn't caused a problem.

dgold105  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 04:53 PM

Thanks. I'm going to get Apple to replace the powerbook and then I've ordered RAM from Crucial. i have not been able to get the problem to happen with the original RAM and have really hammered the machine.

dgold105  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

One other question is Crucial RAM the same chipset that Apple uses? Is it 100% compatible with the new powerbooks?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 05:43 PM

Why would you need to replace the PowerBook if there's only problems with the RAM?

Thanks. I'm going to get Apple to replace the powerbook and then I've ordered RAM from Crucial. i have not been able to get the problem to happen with the original RAM and have really hammered the machine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2005, 08:55 PM

One other question is Crucial RAM the same chipset that Apple uses? Is it 100% compatible with the new powerbooks?
Sometimes Apple uses Micron (same brand as Crucial), sometimes Apple uses Samsung.
If you use the memory advisor at Crucial.com, they gaurentee it will work.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:22 PM

Yes, this is a well known problem with the last generation iBooks which apparently is now also a problem with the new PowerBooks.

The issue is you have more than 1 Gig of memory. If you remove one of your memory SIMMS, everything goes back to normal.

At a technical level, the issue with with the lookupd routine. Until Apple releases a fix, you will be best served to take your PowerBook down to 1 Gig.

HOPEFULLY, this issue will be fixed in 10.4.3. But I am nervous--I am in the same situation as you--since the problem has been around for some time with no fix from Apple. But at least they have acknowledged the problem...

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:22 PM

Yes, this is a well known problem with the last generation iBooks which apparently is now also a problem with the new PowerBooks.

The issue is you have more than 1 Gig of memory. If you remove one of your memory SIMMS, everything goes back to normal.

At a technical level, the issue with with the lookupd routine. Until Apple releases a fix, you will be best served to take your PowerBook down to 1 Gig.

HOPEFULLY, this issue will be fixed in 10.4.3. But I am nervous--I am in the same situation as you--since the problem has been around for some time with no fix from Apple. But at least they have acknowledged the problem...

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:25 PM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BWhaler

If this really was the case, how are thousands of users using >1GB just fine? Seems fishy.

Mack
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2005, 11:40 PM

No problems here with 2 GB in a new 17" PB.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2005, 02:04 AM

I just installed a stick of 1GB Kingston Value RAM (now with 1.5GB) and it has been running fine however I've noticed it has froze on my twice. Anyone experiencing freezing?

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2005, 04:25 AM

Yes this is a known issue. I have the same problem 17" 1.5GB RAM.

It's been discussed on Apple.com. i.e. http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

The only working walkaround now is to limit the available memory for system to 1GB using

sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=1024"

(use: sudo nvram boot-args="" to restore the original settings)

Someone said Apple already know the issue and it was mentioned during a recent internal meeting. Hope a fix can be released soon.

DylanG
Oct 31, 2005, 03:31 PM

I've afflicted with this problem too and have been reading updates from www.macfixit.com .

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
If this really was the case, how are thousands of users using >1GB just fine? Seems fishy.
Check out the Apple boards, you'll see. Or the posts here.

But it makes sense when you think about it.

The problem originally was only on the last gen iBooks, and there was a small population who bought a $900 computer then put 140 bucks worth of memory in it.

But now the problem is hitting PowerBooks, where more of the population will upgrade the memory, the problem will be more pronounced.

Check the links here and at the Apple boards yourself. This is a big problem for Apple.

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 04:19 AM

Yeah it's a horrible problem, it drops airport and makes the trackpad go nuts. It's absolutely the most frustrating thing. Wireless is useless if you do anything, like download several files at once or move any medium amount of network traffic. The only fix is to reboot.

Utter crap. You can't miss something like that before you ship this computer. If this is a hardware issue, Apple's going to be replacing quite a few laptops...

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by iDORK
I just installed a stick of 1GB Kingston Value RAM (now with 1.5GB) and it has been running fine however I've noticed it has froze on my twice. Anyone experiencing freezing?
Same here with my 15". I installed 2GB of Kingston Value RAM and the machine froze every 30 minutes or so. I took one module out, and tried running with just 1GB - same result. I swapped slots, same result. I replaced that module with the other module, tried it in both slots and still got the same results. Running the extended test from the Apple Hardware Test resulted in no errors being found under any configuration.

I took out the Kingston Value RAM and returned it. The PowerBook operates fine with the Apple OEM (Hynix) 512MB in either slot.

Looks like Kingston PC-4200 SO-DIMMs just don't work in the new PowerBooks for some reason. I hope there's a fix soon.

cucswiz
Nov 1, 2005, 08:34 AM

Man... this really blows. I returned my 3 week old powerbook in order to get this one with the new display, and now this issue? Is there any official response by Apple acknowledging the problem (and is this hw or sw related)? I'm wondering if I should even open the box when it arrives...

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Yeah it's a horrible problem, it drops airport and makes the trackpad go nuts. It's absolutely the most frustrating thing. Wireless is useless if you do anything, like download several files at once or move any medium amount of network traffic. The only fix is to reboot.
Very weird. I hadn't had the problem for several days. That is until last night when I tried to download the 97MB 10.4.3 update, ... lost my wireless connection and had to reboot 2x. Now that I think about it, I haven't tried to download anything of size for the last several days (until the 10.4.3 update last night). Argh.

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 1, 2005, 03:31 PM

Yeah it happens when you push network traffic, which means my laptop is a pile of junk, because I have to be plugged into the ethernet cable, meaning that owning a powerbook is absolutely worthless.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2005, 06:50 PM

I just got the Airport-disconnect problem Same, updated to 10.4.3-- but the performance has been great otherwise.

Argh x2

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 11:01 PM

I have a DDR2 PB with 512MB installed and an additional 1GB currently in transit. It sounds like to avoid any issues I will have to do the boot args thing to limit memory to 1GB after installing it.

Please fix this soon Apple.

Mack
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 01:42 AM

After being problem free, I had the RAM problem last night. Jumpy mouse, airport cutting out. Activity monitor showing kernal.task using 70% of my CPU. All after some heavy internet activity.

cinder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 04:59 AM

I read about this problem and tried to reproduce it but was unable to.

And then it hit me twice in one night.

It was the last straw with my Powerbook, and tomorrow it will be dropped off at FedEx on it's way back to Apple for a full refund.

Poor screen quality, this problem and a randomly unresponsive trackpad were the issues.
I was very, very hesitant to move to a laptop (I've never liked the cost/power compromise) and now I am definitely going to stick with desktops for a few more years.

Very, very disappointing experience.
Apple needs to pull their head out of their a$$ and do a little more quality assurance on their WORKSTATION level laptop.

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 05:29 AM

It seems like a lot of people with this problem have been trying to use Kingston RAM. Is there anyone who has had this problem with Crucial RAM?

pbarton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by rafterman
It seems like a lot of people with this problem have been trying to use Kingston RAM. Is there anyone who has had this problem with Crucial RAM?
Yes. 2 GB of Crucial DDR2 RAM in new PowerBook 17". Same problem as others.

misc
Nov 2, 2005, 09:34 AM

My post from this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=274384

Originally Posted by misc
It was brought up on MacNN's main page a little while ago. http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/10/...k.ram.problems

And it linked to a current Apple support thread. http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 11:36 AM

Yes, Crucial on a 15".

This seems like a widespread problem, when every discussion board has it mentioned.

Not good.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by cinder
It was the last straw with my Powerbook, and tomorrow it will be dropped off at FedEx on it's way back to Apple for a full refund.
I'm curious if they're going to try to charge you the 10% open box fee.

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 02:21 PM

Please somebody post the story to news sites, apple is completely ignoring the story and issue. this is rediculous.

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 04:20 PM

Has anyone called AppleCare about this problem? What have they said?

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 05:16 PM

Please somebody post the story to news sites, apple is completely ignoring the story and issue. this is rediculous.
(sarcasm) News sites are so last year. Duh. It's class action lawsuit time baby. They've known about this problem since last year when they started using DDR2! (/sarcasm)

I tried to recreate the issue last night (downloading gobs of 300mb+ files) and wasn't able to. I'm not using Crucial RAM though. It was something that NewEgg had on sale. <shrug>

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 06:24 PM

Does anyone think this problem is affecting every single new 15" and 17" powerbook? How could Apple ignore the fact that no one will be able to use more than 1GB of RAM????? I really want to order my new 15" powerbook and I've already received the extra 1GB of RAM from Crucial. I'm just wondering if the reason we're seeing so many reports of this problem is that this is a troubleshooting forum and so everyone posting here has problems and no one that has a fully functioning powerbook is going to post here.

inkhead
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 06:45 PM

Apple just FIXED it, if you have 10.4.3 and a new powerbook check your software update, there is a airport update available for you.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 06:49 PM

Did I read that update wrong, or does it sound like that update fixes issues with certain 3rd party cards?

cucswiz
Nov 2, 2005, 06:55 PM

awesome, seems like that problem is solved... now the display issue??...

i just checked fedex, and my powerbook is delivered at home. what's people take on this whole display thing...

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2005, 08:45 PM

My display has the lines. They aren't as bad as some people seem to think (at least on my PB, there's probably some variation). I am going to call Apple and see if they can do something about it, but if they won't I'm going to keep my PB as is and not press the issue.

I don't have my new RAM yet (it's supposed to arrive tomorrow, then I have to find a #00 screwdriver...) so I can't check whether the AirPort update fixes this issue. Can anyone verify that it does?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 11:08 PM

Apple just FIXED it, if you have 10.4.3 and a new powerbook check your software update, there is a airport update available for you.

Are you sure this fixes it (x-fingers--- dl'ing now...)

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 11:14 PM

If some generous people would be so kind as to increase their RAM back up to 2GB to see if the Airport software update fixes the RAM issue it would be much appreciated!

Also, it looks like some guy in the Apple discussion forums found a different way to fix the problem by resetting the PRAM. He says that after doing it he has had no problems whatsoever. If anyone is interested in trying here is the link to his thread:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
( Last edited by rafterman; Nov 2, 2005 at 11:28 PM. )

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 04:22 AM

The airport update DID fix it for me. I've been using it all afternoon with 1.5GB enabled. So good job for Apple on this prompt fix.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 04:39 AM

I wonder if the update fixed iBook users' problems as well. ???

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 04:42 AM

Since it looks like the Airport update fixed the RAM issue, how do you guys think I should proceed once I receive my new powerbook:

I'm going to be ordering the 15" with 1GB (1 sodimm) already installed. I have an additional 1GB module from Crucial that I want to add once it arrives.

Should I add the additional RAM after booting up the machine (for the first time) and downloading the Airport update?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 05:10 AM

Yes, you should boot the machine before opening the case, if only to make sure it's not DOA. (Not that that's very likely, but you never know.)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 11:58 AM

getting my new 17" powerbook tomorrow.

it comes with a 512 memory stick in there right? if i order a 1gig from macsales.com and put it in with the 512 will they work fine together?

no worries of them not being the same size, etc?
thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
getting my new 17" powerbook tomorrow.

it comes with a 512 memory stick in there right? if i order a 1gig from macsales.com and put it in with the 512 will they work fine together?

no worries of them not being the same size, etc?
thanks.
Yes, it should work fine. The PowerBooks don't support dual channel RAM, so you don't need to match module sizes.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 06:01 PM

It looks like the AirPort update fixed the problem.

As an experiment, knowing that my RAM was going to arrive today, I waited to install the update until I had seen the issue. Then I could install the update and see whether the issue was fixed.

I installed the new RAM, bringing the total to 1.5GB, and it was recognized as OK in System Profiler without incident. I fired up top in a terminal to keep an eye on things, then set Photoshop to work opening a directory full of large JPEGs. Sure enough, as soon as memory usage passed 1024MB, I noticed that the AirPort connection was dropped, kernel_task was at ~73% CPU usage, and the trackpad response was a bit skittish.

So I quit Photoshop, installed the AirPort update, and rebooted. I went through the same sequence of actions. None of the symptoms occurred. The machine's been up 15 minutes now with no problems so far. I did not have to zap the PRAM.

By the way, I am using Transcend brand memory with Samsung chips. It's about $85 for a 1GB stick at Newegg. No problems seen so far. (Though I only have 15 mins uptime, so...) The machine is definitely 'teh snappy' now.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 07:00 PM

FWIW, I've been using the Transcend 1GB (also from Newegg) for the last week+ with no issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules