Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Some dumbass broke into my wife's car

Some dumbass broke into my wife's car
SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 8, 2005, 11:39 PM

Kristin was going to work this morning.... found this:

>sigh<

Let's see... car accident a few months ago, arrested a few weeks ago, and now some dumbass breaks into her car last nigth. Maybe I should just move....

But anyway, what kind of an idiot does this?! ITS A ****ing 1989 Honda accord with a freakin' tapedeck!!!! They didn't steal anything from the car... BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING TO FREAKING STEAL! HENCE WHY THE HELL DID THEY BREAK INTO IT! Dumbass. I think maybe I'll wait around one of these nights and try to catch one.

anyway, ran to www.car-parts.com, found a side window for $35 in milwaukee, vacuumed out the car, drove over and bought the window, came back, took apart the door, vacuumed out more glass from inside the door, replaced window, reassembled everything, and sent her to work 2 hours late. Not too shabby. Could have been worse.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 8, 2005, 11:40 PM

Oh yeah. Heh. Scored a car alarm on ebay for $20 or so. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 8, 2005, 11:42 PM

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2005, 11:47 PM

Maybe you should get a different car. http://www.crimedoctor.com/autotheft2.htm
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 12:01 AM

They didn't even want the tape, huh? What was on it that was so unappealing?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 12:11 AM

You`d think someone would be smart enough to break into a car that wasn`t 16 years old.

But at least they left the Creedence tapes.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Maybe you should get a different car. http://www.crimedoctor.com/autotheft2.htm
Meh. But it's cheap to run and ... as stated, the parts are cheap too. It's a nice boring little car. Once i get the alarm in it I'll feel better though.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 12:38 AM

Some dumbass broke into my 10 years old car a while ago. He broke a window, stole my car radio/cd player and a case containing 40 of my favourite CDs. The CDs had no sleeves or cases and my CD player was starting to piss me off 'cause it was not working properly anymore. So bottom line, 3 months and 300$ of insurance franchise to get everyting back. The guy probaly got no more than 50$ out of this. Dumbass!

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dork.
They didn't even want the tape, huh? What was on it that was so unappealing?
Dunno. Mixtapes generally. Mid to late 90s alternative stuff. Some electronic. Some punk. Buncha random stuff really.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 02:24 AM

Someone put a brick through my window once and stole...

24-pack of toilet paper.
8-pack of paper towels.

For whatever reason, it didn't bother me too much.

I mean, if they needed it that bad.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
You`d think someone would be smart enough to break into a car that wasn`t 16 years old.

Nice Lebowski reference.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 08:41 AM

It's called Vandalism. Comprehensive covers it, if you have it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 08:46 AM

So the next time somebody breaks the window of her car and doesn't find anything to steal - the alarm will sound.

Brilliant.

That pretty much solved the problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2005, 09:40 AM

My goddaughter had her car broken into a while back, and when the schisses didn't find anything they thought they could sell, they destroyed the dashboard-did enough damage to total the car! I hope they eventually go to prison and meet Bubba-the 450 pound molester who's pretty lonely...

In your case, it looks like all you're out is a few hours time at the shop to replace the window and clean up the broken glass. I'd count myself lucky on that score.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 10:11 AM

anyway, ran to www.car-parts.com, found a side window for $35 in milwaukee, vacuumed out the car, drove over and bought the window, came back, took apart the door, vacuumed out more glass from inside the door, replaced window, reassembled everything, and sent her to work 2 hours late. Not too shabby. Could have been worse.
That is impressive. Good job.

If you'd had an SUV, though, it probably wouldn't have been broken into.

It says right here that older cars (not SUVs - or Suburbans) are popular for thiefs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 10:13 AM

Here in Baltimore, where car break ins aren't usually to steal stereos but rather hobos who want cash and CDs and whatnot (or so the cop told me when my car was broken into), if they don't find something, sometimes they'll defecate and urinate in the car just to spite the owner.

(When my car was broken into, they took $3 in quarters from the ashtray, and then popped the trunk and took my bag of Mac tools. A whole lot of good those DiskWarrior and Mac OS CDs will do them, I bet. And I wonder if they even know what a FireWire drive is?)

tooki

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

It says right here that older cars (not SUVs - or Suburbans) are popular for thiefs.

AHahhaah Rob got owned by a GIRL!!!!\

I bet Cody even uses Chapstick.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 10:29 AM

Not so true; air bag heists are big right now in the detroit area; from all makes/models including SUVs. I've had it happen to me twice (Dodge Ram) but not the Durango yet. But all Dodge trucks/SUVs pre 2002 (and most of their cars) you only need a small ice pick and you can get right in under the plastic surround on the door handle. 2 seconds, if that. Cop showed me after my second air bag heist. I was hoping to find one of them dead though in the front seat; you screw around taking them out and they will explode on yeah.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 10:30 AM

Rob, you should watch "My Name is Earl." It's all about Karma - you might learn something.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ

Damn, beaten to it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
Not so true; air bag heists are big right now in the detroit area; from all makes/models including SUVs. I've had it happen to me twice (Dodge Ram) but not the Durango yet. But all Dodge trucks/SUVs pre 2002 (and most of their cars) you only need a small ice pick and you can get right in under the plastic surround on the door handle. 2 seconds, if that. Cop showed me after my second air bag heist. I was hoping to find one of them dead though in the front seat; you screw around taking them out and they will explode on yeah.
That may be true for Detroit, but that article was in general in the whole country.

So while your obvservations maybe valid, they don't negate the FBI report.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
Rob, you should watch "My Name is Earl." It's all about Karma - you might learn something.
Never seen it.. but...

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 10:39 AM

I was thinking that he pissed off someone in the forums and they wanted to teach him a lesson.

Love the wheel of karma pic.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by anim8ing

-t

dav
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 10:49 AM

I was thinking that he pissed off someone in the forums and they wanted to teach him a lesson.
hmmm, yes i suppose there are some personalities here dumb enough to do that.
one post closer to five stars

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 11:34 AM

AHahhaah Rob got owned by a GIRL!!!!\

I bet Cody even uses Chapstick.
Actually, I love to ski (and I'm good at it - not like most fraidy-cat loser skier chicks) and I use Carmex instead...most skiers I know use it and now it's a habit.

I, too, LOVE the "Wheel O' Karma"

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 12:13 PM

what about her, um, papers, uh, you know, uh, her papers, business papers?

Monique
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 12:19 PM

Was she in it? Were your children in it? It is just a thing and if you have insurance it is not a huge deal.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
It's called Vandalism. Comprehensive covers it, if you have it.
It's called deductables, and paying $36 for a window and installing it myself was far far cheaper.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
So the next time somebody breaks the window of her car and doesn't find anything to steal - the alarm will sound.

Brilliant.

That pretty much solved the problem.
Hopefully the alarm stickers on the windows and flashing LED on the dash will prevent it from happening. Nobody has ever broken into my neon or SVX, and they both had alarm systems.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Here in Baltimore, where car break ins aren't usually to steal stereos but rather hobos who want cash and CDs and whatnot (or so the cop told me when my car was broken into), if they don't find something, sometimes they'll defecate and urinate in the car just to spite the owner.
Yeah. I'm considering 'hunting' for one sometime by leaving a wallet on the dash, and waiting in the shadows with some mace and a baseball bat.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Nice Lebowski reference.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
Oh yeah? And what would that be? When was the last time I ****ed anybody over or did something bad? Oh yeah, I didn't, you were just being a dick and assuming things.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Never seen it.. but...
Nah I was going to watch a jesus movie instead. The karma ones are too buddhist and we all know that buddhists are going to hell since they didn't accept christ as their savior.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:27 PM

OMG did you scratch your mountain bike?

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:28 PM

Actually, I love to ski (and I'm good at it - not like most fraidy-cat loser skier chicks) and I use Carmex instead...most skiers I know use it and now it's a habit.

I, too, LOVE the "Wheel O' Karma"

Carmex dries out your lips. Use something that moisturizes.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
Actually, if you ever wonder why some cars (notably Mercedes) REQUIRE you to go to the shop and get their electronics reset after anything minor - that's why.

The airbag is the most-stolen component these days, and their serial number is matched to the other car parts via electronics, else they won't work.

An airbag that has been removed from a Mercedes is worthless and is destroyed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Was she in it? Were your children in it? It is just a thing and if you have insurance it is not a huge deal.
Duh !

You might wanna read and UNDERSTAND his post.
-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Hopefully the alarm stickers on the windows and flashing LED on the dash will prevent it from happening. Nobody has ever broken into my neon or SVX, and they both had alarm systems.
Lucky you.

An alarm is useless. There are so many alarms going off all the time, people aren't even looking at what's happening. And even if they were, they can't do a thing.

Utterly useless. Will only work with dumb thieves. But maybe that's what you are dealing with...

-t

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 12:37 PM

Very sorry to hear about the car break in yesterday. Such evil in the world. A car alarm such as LoJack is very smart.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
A car alarm such as LoJack is very smart.
LoJack is NOT a car alarm, it's a Vehicle Recovery System.

-t

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 12:46 PM

OMG did you scratch your mountain bike?

Pretty sad that my bike is worth 3x the amount of your car.

edit: all of your cars combined is more likely

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 12:51 PM

Hehe

-t

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Hehe

-t

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:57 PM

edit: all of your cars combined is more likely
And yet, I don't care. I doubt I'll ever spend a lot of money on a car, because you can get great cars for not much money. Kristin's little accord cost us $500, and it gets over 30mpg and is cheap to insure and fix if it needs repair (which up to this point, has only been from accidents and **** like this, nothing ever unreliable).

My svx cost me $3600, and it's able to get lots of looks, haul serious ass, and be quite comfortable for well under 5 grand. I don't see the point in getting something much more expensive... do you honestly think you have $2000 worth of more fun riding your bike than I do riding my $400 diamondback? I doubt it. Diminishing returns my friend.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 12:58 PM

Do you always thumbs up people who laugh at your posts?

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:13 PM

And yet, I don't care. I doubt I'll ever spend a lot of money on a car, because you can get great cars for not much money. Kristin's little accord cost us $500, and it gets over 30mpg and is cheap to insure and fix if it needs repair (which up to this point, has only been from accidents and **** like this, nothing ever unreliable).

My svx cost me $3600, and it's able to get lots of looks, haul serious ass, and be quite comfortable for well under 5 grand. I don't see the point in getting something much more expensive... do you honestly think you have $2000 worth of more fun riding your bike than I do riding my $400 diamondback? I doubt it. Diminishing returns my friend.
In a word, yes. My cannondale is a joy to ride, well built, and has the best parts available, I know for a fact that I can take a 15 foot drop off a cliff and not bottom out my suspension, your DB would most likely snap in half at that point.

My point is, get the right tools for the job. If I'm hauling w bikes, a set of clubs, and maybe some of my hockey gear, It all fits in my explorer without a problem. As far as destroying the earths resources, we're doing a good job of that on our own. I'm not depleting them any faster by owning an SUV than you are with that honda accord you own. Sure you may get better gas mileage, but it's all relative to how far you drive, etc.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:38 PM

In a word, yes. My cannondale is a joy to ride, well built, and has the best parts available, I know for a fact that I can take a 15 foot drop off a cliff and not bottom out my suspension, your DB would most likely snap in half at that point.
Cool. Congrats, but I don't see how that's worth a $2000 premium just knowing your bike won't bottom out after falling 15 ft (which is ********). How often do you drop 15 ft cliffs?

My point is, get the right tools for the job. If I'm hauling w bikes, a set of clubs, and maybe some of my hockey gear, It all fits in my explorer without a problem.
Then you are ignoring your own point. You have a need for CARGO SPACE, not 4wd and offroad suspension. The right tool for your job would be a large wagon or minivan.

As far as destroying the earths resources, we're doing a good job of that on our own. I'm not depleting them any faster by owning an SUV than you are with that honda accord you own. Sure you may get better gas mileage, but it's all relative to how far you drive, etc.
Actually you are. Quite a bit.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:43 PM

Cool. Congrats, but I don't see how that's worth a $2000 premium just knowing your bike won't bottom out after falling 15 ft (which is ********). How often do you drop 15 ft cliffs?

Then you are ignoring your own point. You have a need for CARGO SPACE, not 4wd and offroad suspension. The right tool for your job would be a large wagon or minivan.

Actually you are. Quite a bit.
You've obviously never ridden a bike in any kind of competition environment, and yes to me the premium is well worth it. Let's go ride one day and we'll see if you can keep up. I will personally guarantee that you cannot.

And for cargo space, I chose the vehicle that I wanted to get. I have no need for 3 or 4 rows of seats, or a sliding door on the side, now do I? Everything fits just fine, thanks.

And no, NJ has some of the toughest vehicle inspections in the nation, so I'm not pumping out anymore smog / other emissions than anyone else is. Sorry to blow up the floats in your parade.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 01:48 PM

You've obviously never ridden a bike in any kind of competition environment, and yes to me the premium is well worth it. Let's go ride one day and we'll see if you can keep up. I will personally guarantee that you cannot.
I really don't care. But that isn't the point. The point is you claim you need a vehicle DESIGNED FOR DRIVING OFFROAD to transport your ****ing bicycles on the road. You are a poser. Truth hurts.

And for cargo space, I chose the vehicle that I wanted to get.
The problem is what you 'wanted' is what the auto marketing guys brainwashed you into wanting. You want a vehicle designed for an 'active' person who is exciting and adventurous, not a boring soccer mom mobile. Hence, they made you want the SUV instead of something that would be better suited to your needs.

I have no need for 3 or 4 rows of seats, or a sliding door on the side, now do I?
So? You also have no need for offroad suspension, stiff frame, lots of ground clearance, and super tall sidewalls on your tires for managing tough terrain. Somehow that doesn't bother you, becuase you are a poser.

And no, NJ has some of the toughest vehicle inspections in the nation, so I'm not pumping out anymore smog / other emissions than anyone else is.
Yes actually you are. You're emitting a lot more smog than someone driving a normal car. Truck regulations are a LOT looser than car regulations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules