Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Quake4

Quake4
demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 12:59 AM

I want a PC!!!

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 01:41 AM

Why? Isn't Q4 just the same thing as Q3 with more polys? Who cares.

jeffB
Dec 2, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Not
even
close.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:31 PM

Hey, I'm missing Civ 4 too, brother...but no game is worth wasting even 1 dollar on a PC...

Ok, so if I could have a worthy gaming PC for $1, I would. But I'd keep it hidden in a closet or something.

I wouldn't want anyone to know.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 01:28 AM

Nice attitude. Put down the software because its not out for Mac yet.

The game is very impressive visually. Game play is standard shootem up but still lots of fun. I do prefer doom3 over quake4 though. My favorite game of all time is Farcry I think I will play that again on a harder level.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 5, 2005, 01:50 AM

No, I'm not putting it down because it isn't out. I just remember ID saying they wouldn't be doign another quake, and being totally surprised when I heard about Quake 4. I googled it, read that it has fancier graphics, same weapons (OH WAIT the nailgun now looks like it did in quake 1!) and even the same deathmatch maps like DM17. Woop dee ****ing do.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2005, 10:43 PM

Now, if they re-released RTCW ET based off that engine, then I'd bust a nut all over my 20" cinema display.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 12:04 AM

Do you really think the current ET looks all that horrible? Personally I'd rather have smother framerates and more simplistic graphics. The current ET is fantastically fun on the right server.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 6, 2005, 09:24 PM

Nice responses for those who accused me of being a mac fan boy. Quake 4 sucks. The end. Nobody cares. It's quake 3 with better graphics.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 09:36 PM

No, I don't think ET looks horrible at all.

But even CoD UO looks much much better (i.e. more realistic).
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

jeffB
Dec 7, 2005, 11:19 AM

It's quake 3 with better graphics.
I notice you're still wrong.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
No, I don't think ET looks horrible at all.

But even CoD UO looks much much better (i.e. more realistic).
It's also much newer and has much higher requirements. >shrug< I think ET is cool. It's an older game, it's totally free, and it runs FAAASSSSTTTTT on most macs.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffB
I notice you're still wrong.
Dude. It even has the same levels.

jeffB
Dec 7, 2005, 12:28 PM

Dude. It even has the same levels.
And again.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 01:21 PM

So considering it has exactly the same weapons, levels, etc... and better graphics, how is my statement "it's quake 3 with better graphics" wrong?

jeffB
Dec 7, 2005, 02:52 PM

So considering it has exactly the same weapons, levels, etc... and better graphics, how is my statement "it's quake 3 with better graphics" wrong?
Play it first?

jeffB
Dec 7, 2005, 02:54 PM

isn't doom 3 exactally the same as doom2, which was really just a map pack for doom1, but with more pollys?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 07:56 PM

isn't doom 3 exactally the same as doom2, which was really just a map pack for doom1, but with more pollys?
I doubt it. But Doom3 was revolutionary. Quake 4 has nothing new to bring to the table. Again, who cares. Here's an idea: Play Quake 3 only get a better graphics card.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 10:56 AM

No and no.

Not even close on both.

Have people in here actually PLAYED the games?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 10:57 AM

Bleh, stupid server.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2005, 11:46 AM

I almost bought Quake 4 but then I remembered I was holding out for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

http://www.telefragged.com/interviews/etquakewars/

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 8, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thain Esh Kelch
No and no.

Not even close on both.

Have people in here actually PLAYED the games?
Which ones? I've played Doom, Doom3, All the quakes except this new one... what's the point? Same weapons, same maps, same physics. Whatever. It would be kinda neat if they made it so that you could play Q3 players with Q4, like make the net code interchangeable.

TheDeathman
Dec 8, 2005, 07:32 PM

If I remember correctly, Quake 3 was just an arena multiplayer with the single player being against bots. I own a PC, I own Quake 4, and I think the single-player is worth it alone, the multiplayer isn't what I play the game for. If you're looking from a purely MP perspective Q3 is better than Q4, but if you're looking for a great single player Quake 4 is just as good as Doom 3.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 07:51 PM

I think the consensus is Doom 3's single player kind of sucked. Same enemies jumping from the same hidden places, over and over again. Great graphics, but not enough puzzles and varied gameplay.

Quake 4 will come to OS X eventually. I mean, we've all the other quakes and dooms.

What I'd really like to see is Sierra and Valve start making games for the Mac. F.E.A.R. is a great game, and so was Half Life 1 and 2.
( Last edited by jamil5454; Dec 8, 2005 at 08:00 PM. )

jeffB
Dec 8, 2005, 11:03 PM

Which ones? I've played Doom, Doom3, All the quakes except this new one... what's the point? Same weapons, same maps, same physics. Whatever. It would be kinda neat if they made it so that you could play Q3 players with Q4, like make the net code interchangeable.
the games were made on completely different engines. i don't want to insult you, but the idea of using interchangeable netcode between two different games, beyond being impossible and pointless, is awful. extra chromosome stupid.

the whole part when you say you haven't played the game, makes your opinion kinda worthless.

and who cares?
me, the starter of the thread, and i'm willing to bet, a handful other people.

if you don't want to play it, or don't like it because of an uninformed theory, don't. i can't fathom why you're even bothering to trol.. post about it.

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 11:15 PM

if you don't want to play it, or don't like it because of an uninformed theory, don't. i can't fathom why you're even bothering to trol.. post about it.
You signed up in 2004, you should know better.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 09:49 AM

the games were made on completely different engines. i don't want to insult you, but the idea of using interchangeable netcode between two different games, beyond being impossible and pointless, is awful. extra chromosome stupid.

the whole part when you say you haven't played the game, makes your opinion kinda worthless.

and who cares?
me, the starter of the thread, and i'm willing to bet, a handful other people.

I responded to this last night, but it seems hte forums ate my post. So do you mean it was almost as dumb as saying Doom3 was like a map pack for Doom1? That dumb?

Secondly, they use different GRAPHICS engines. I'm sure the physics engine will be almost identical so it has that fluid quake feel to it. If they did make htem identical (gravity, speed of movement, etc) then employing a compatible network code would not be impossible. Far from it. The only information your computer is sending out is your position, direction, speed, stuff like that. Coordinates with a few other bits of information, like when you're shooting. This information could easily be interpretted by TWO different GRAPHIC engines, one using much more complex models and textures, the other being more simple.

PS: Use the ****ing shift key, lazy slob.

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 11:20 AM

doom2 was prety much a map pack. i guess comma's and sarcasm are difficult, they're treacherous in conjunction. i was kinda impling that calling quake4 the same as quake3 was just like calling doom3 the same as doom1/2. you know, saying something stupid.

"I'm sure" is a terrible way to start an argument, you're admitting that you don't know.
just because it might be remotely possible to play against someone playing a different game, doesn't make it a good idea. you're allowed near a keyboard after all.

p.s. there's periods in "p.s."
p.s.s. quake4 is a great game, better than quake3, if you played it, you might have something worth saying, not that your speculation isn't mildly amusing.

in conclusion, i wish i could go back in time and give your father a condom or a coat hanger. your choice.

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by esXXI
You signed up in 2004, you should know better.
i thought i saw him post something worth reading once, just don't make me find it.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 12:28 PM

doom2 was prety much a map pack. i guess comma's and sarcasm are difficult, they're treacherous in conjunction. i was kinda impling that calling quake4 the same as quake3 was just like calling doom3 the same as doom1/2. you know, saying something stupid.

"I'm sure" is a terrible way to start an argument, you're admitting that you don't know.
just because it might be remotely possible to play against someone playing a different game, doesn't make it a good idea. you're allowed near a keyboard after all.
Have you played quake1? Quake 2? Quake 3? Guess what they all have in common? Really really similar physics, that give it that ultra fluid ultra fast quake feel. Quake 4 undoubtedly has the same feeling. Hence, it would be perfectly reasonable to speculate that the code could be made interchangeable. You're the one acting like just because the games use two different GRAPHICS ENGINES they would be impossible to use together. You're the one making concrete assumptions. You're also the one who doesn't use the shift key and makes lame ass insults. How old are you anyway, fanboy? 16?

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 12:45 PM

quake 1 through 3 were all pretty different. different graphic and physic engines.
suprise, so is quake4.

im not commenting about a game i've never played, champ.

p.s. quake4 uses doom3's PHYSICS ENGINE, which quake3 didn't. weird.

you might as well want to play on a cod server with an unreal tourney client. see, that sounds just as stupid as your idea.

you're entire argument is "quake4 is just quake3, with prettier graphics" which is wrong. and you don't even know you're wrong because you have not played quake4. quake11 is just quake10 with better graphics.

i'm 24, a/s/l salior?

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:16 PM

quake 1 through 3 were all pretty different. different graphic and physic engines.
suprise, so is quake4.
No they weren't. The single player experience maybe, but in terms of multiplayer they all had a very similar feel to them, and what you could do (rocket jumping, stuff like that).

you might as well want to play on a cod server with an unreal tourney client. see, that sounds just as stupid as your idea.
That's a stupid statement, as the multiplayer games are completely different. Quake 4's multiplayer uses the SAME ****ING MAPS as quake 3. It also has the same weapons, with a slight difference in rate of fire, amount of damage, etc.

you're entire argument is "quake4 is just quake3, with prettier graphics" which is wrong. and you don't even know you're wrong because you have not played quake4. quake11 is just quake10 with better graphics.
Your. Not you're. I am not an argument. I have an argument though. Yet another example of "your" stupidity. And sorry, in terms of multiplayer, it IS the same game. Same maps, same weapons, and probably same quake feel. You lose. Now go get a quake tattoo and be the ultimate quake fan.

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 01:27 PM

Your. Not you're. I am not an argument. I have an argument though. Yet another example of "your" stupidity. And sorry, in terms of multiplayer, it IS the same game. Same maps, same weapons, and probably same quake feel. You lose. Now go get a quake tattoo and be the ultimate quake fan.
i correct minor grammatical errors because i don't have anything to actually say.

cod and ut could be played together. "The only information your computer is sending out is your position, direction, speed, stuff like that. Coordinates with a few other bits of information, like when you're shooting."

quake4 is different from quake3.
different Physics Engine.
different Graphics Engine.
different Game.

they might have a similar feel, being they are the same franchise, but they are, in fact, different games. not just more polys. don't play it, don't find out.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 01:31 PM

i correct minor grammatical errors because i don't have anything to actually say.

cod and ut could be played together. "The only information your computer is sending out is your position, direction, speed, stuff like that. Coordinates with a few other bits of information, like when you're shooting."
The maps are different. The weapons are completely different. The classes of enemies are different, and who you can play. UT 2004 has vehicles and planes. COD had neither. The physics engines are totally different between the slower realistic COD and the fast paced arcade insanity of UT, which is also a far cry from the lightning fast ultra fluid physics of the quake world.

Quake 3 and Quake 4, however, share the same maps, about the same physics, and almost identical weapons. It would be possible to have them be compatible.

That is what I've had to say, you're just too stupid to admit it.

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 01:34 PM

just because it might be remotely possible to play against someone playing a different game, doesn't make it a good idea.
I already admitted it could be possible, sport.

Until I learned they use different physics engines, and it's just a stupid idea.

jeffB
Dec 9, 2005, 01:38 PM

I notice everything you've said in this thread has been wrong.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 03:33 PM

I already admitted it could be possible, sport.

Until I learned they use different physics engines, and it's just a stupid idea.
And what's different about them? The force of gravity? The ability to control movement a little while in midair? The terminal velocity or maximum running speed? All could be tweaked slightly to make the games compatible.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 9, 2005, 03:34 PM

I notice everything you've said in this thread has been wrong.
I notice that everything you've said has been stupid. I'm done with you. Go masturbate to DM17 or something fanboy. You're obviously t he only one who cares if this ever comes out for mac. Have fun. You win at the internet.

Dueschebag.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 09:48 PM

Is he really banned now?

Fighting about games is pretty stupid boys.

For the record, it would be very nearly impossible to align the netcode between Quake 3 and Quake 4. There's more than just your position, direction, etc. sent out during netplay.

And also for the record, I'd love to play Quake 4 on my Mac, but my Mac can't even do the last Unreal Tournament...so yeah, no luck for me.

unfairlybanned68
Banned
Dec 12, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling
Is he really banned now?
Nope.

For the record, it would be very nearly impossible to align the netcode between Quake 3 and Quake 4. There's more than just your position, direction, etc. sent out during netplay.
Like?

jeffB
Dec 13, 2005, 11:47 AM

reading your posts is like drinking sand. uninformed and irrational. good luck with everything friend.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 PM

To get back on the topic of the thread, as this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273411 says (at the bottom), Quake 4 will be coming to the Mac. We'll have to wait a few months, but it is coming.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
To get back on the topic of the thread, as this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=273411 says (at the bottom), Quake 4 will be coming to the Mac. We'll have to wait a few months, but it is coming.

Hip hip hooray! Too bad the only mac capable of running it on low settings will be a G5 since everything else has a non upgradeable already outdated graphics card. But hey! At least we'll be able to play Quake3 with more polygons and higher textures ... I mean, quake 4 on the mac platform!

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 02:34 AM

If there are levels that look exactly the same as Quake 3 in Quake 4 (which I have yet to see everything I have seen thus far is different than Quake 3) that doesn't mean they are the exact same versions. Same thing goes for everything else. The tech in Doom 3 was heavily upgraded from Quake 3 and Quake 4 was in turn upgraded from Doom 3 which it has a lot more in common with than Quake 3. So you'd have to do much more than just modify the net code in order to get them to multiplay with each other. You'd have to backport the new models\levels code so you can run the same models and levels on both, and despite how it might "feel" there is a lot of changes under the hood as far as the physics go going from Quake 3 through Doom 3 through Quake 4.

Then of course unless you change the rendering code to match too the levels\models etc. wouldn't look as good in Quake 3 as they do in Quake 4. So the changes would be so radical that if you wanted to play them you might as well get Quake 4. That's not even mentioning AI. =p Although given some time the community might make Quake 3 compatible with Doom 3\Quake 4's models\levels you'd still have to play other people who have that modified version of Quake 3 and given what I have seen that is similar to that idea it probably wouldn't be as fast or efficient as Quake 4 or Doom 3. Also I wouldn't count on if they did make changes to Quake 3 to accommodate Quake 4 that raven would do the same to Quake 4.

To say they "feel the same and therefore they are the same" is grossly oversimplifying the work that went into Doom 3\Quake 4 and just screams troll as well. Of course though no one is making you play new games so if you don't want to then don't. But other people might want to and it's their right.
( Last edited by smoke-tetsu; Dec 18, 2005 at 02:41 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules