Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Scriptable way to downsample .mov file?

Scriptable way to downsample .mov file?
palmberg
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 06:12 PM

OK, here's the situation....

I use EvoCam with my iSight to capture images which are then turned into .mov time-lapse movies as an archiving method.

I'd like to keep the size of the captured images at their present quality, but that results in a time-lapse movie that's about 49MB, which is too big for sharing via my Web site.

This is all happening on my server, which is a Mini running Tiger. I want to find an automated way to compress the .mov file down to the same quality I'd get if I exported it as a "Web" movie in iMovie HD. Alas, iMovie HD isn't AppleScriptable, so far as I can tell.

Does anyone know of a way to do this without manually importing the movie into iMovie and then exporting "sharing" it?

Thanks very much.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 06:12 AM

Quicktime Pro might be the way to go. That is applescriptable

palmberg  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, it turns out ffmpeg was the way to go. The script I ended up using goes a little something like this:

ffmpeg -i /input/file.mov -r 11.99 -s 240x180 -y /output/file rm -f /input/file.mov

It works really slick. Creates a 240x180, 11.99 fps .mov file and then deletes the original file from the source directory so that EvoCam cam create it again the next day. Then the process starts all over.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules