Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Switcher Questions

Switcher Questions
yfzcentral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 04:58 PM

Hello All,

Just got my C2D 15'' base MBP!!! Whoo hooo!!!

Anyways, Now it's time to (man, this keyboard is super quiet!!!) to start installing programs.

I installed firefox and am using it as I type this.

However, I get the firefox icon under the HD and want to get rid of it. How do I do this? I tried dragging to the trash can, but then it want's to delete it. How can I add it into the dock?

Second question is this: The screen is great, but the fonts look like CRAP! They're not clear at all. Is there some type of function to enable them to be 'clear'?

Thanks!! Dumb questions, I know.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 05:57 PM

1. Firefox.
You downloaded Firefox from the internet and it made a disk image on your desktop. A white hard drive looking icon. If you open that you should see Firefox inside there. Drag Firefox from inside that disk image and put it in your Applications folder (Macintosh HD > Applications). Now you can eject the disk image (drag icon onto the trash) and delete the firefox.dmg file you downloaded.
Firefox is now in your Applications folder. Macintosh HD > Applications. Find Firefox and drag it to the left side of your dock and it should stay there.

Have you tried Safari? Apple's webbrowser? Just thought I'd put that out there.

2. Fonts.
Click the blue Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen > system preferences > displays.
What resolution is your monitor on? Unless it is on the highest resolution (highest numbers) the fonts will look off, since the screen has it's 'best' resolution, and outside of that things look very off.

How do these help?

yfzcentral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it a lot!

I'm running at full 1440x900.

The fonts just dont appear to be super crisp like they are (gulp) on my laptop.

Almost like it needs to be anti-aliased.

Thanks again!

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by yfzcentral View Post
Thanks for your help! Appreciate it a lot!

I'm running at full 1440x900.

The fonts just dont appear to be super crisp like they are (gulp) on my laptop.

Almost like it needs to be anti-aliased.

Thanks again!
'Font smoothing' is supposed to be A Good Thing. You can tweak the settings in the Appearance bit of System Preferences. You need to restart an application for the new settings to take effect.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by yfzcentral View Post
Second question is this: The screen is great, but the fonts look like CRAP! They're not clear at all. Is there some type of function to enable them to be 'clear'?
OS X renders fonts in a different way to Windows and it will take a little getting used to. Personally, going the other way, I think that Windows fonts look shite (jaggy as hell and metrics all over the shop even with anti-aliasing on).

However, two things will improve the font rendering in OS X. Go to System Preferences and select Appearance. At the bottom is the Font smoothing style option where you can choose from Automatic, Standard, Light, Medium and Strong. Personally, on my PB, I like Strong, but you can try out different settings to see which suits your tastes. As mentioned above, to see the setting take, you will have to quit and relaunch any open apps.

However, before messing with those settings, make sure you first calibrate your screen. Do this via the Displays>Colour settings in System Preferences (or if it still works on the Intel Macs, download SuperCal as it is easier to use).

Forum Links
Forum Rules