Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I keep this version of the Macbook?

Should I keep this version of the Macbook?
tomster2300
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 02:07 AM

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a Macbook for a long time, and recently purchased one at a reduced price at Fry's Electronics. I knew there had to be a catch for them to be reducing the price, but I didn't figure it out until I got it home and could check. Turns out the models they were clearing out were the older models from before the early November upgrade.

I bought the low end white Macbook on sale for $899, which is cheaper than I could have purchased it with my educational discount, which would have made it $999. The model I bought is as follows:

2 ghz c2d
1 gig ram
80 gig hd
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64 mb shared with main memory
combo drive
OS x Tiger

I'm eligible for the $9.99 Leopard upgrade through the mail as well.

The same model listed on Apple shows everything the same, except includes an Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. It also has Leopard pre-installed, although I don't have a problem installing Leopard myself.

I also read somewhere that they also have some other more subtle upgrades as well - is that true?

Anyway, do you think it's worth keeping this one, or should I spend $100 more and get an upgraded one with my college discount? I would kind of like the most recent hardware, but I'm not sure if it warrants the extra $100. Does Leopard need that extra bit of memory - 64mb and 144mb seem like really small amounts, although doubling the amount seems like it would make a difference.

ankurcd
Dec 22, 2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by tomster2300 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a Macbook for a long time, and recently purchased one at a reduced price at Fry's Electronics. I knew there had to be a catch for them to be reducing the price, but I didn't figure it out until I got it home and could check. Turns out the models they were clearing out were the older models from before the early November upgrade.

I bought the low end white Macbook on sale for $899, which is cheaper than I could have purchased it with my educational discount, which would have made it $999. The model I bought is as follows:

2 ghz c2d
1 gig ram
80 gig hd
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64 mb shared with main memory
combo drive
OS x Tiger

I'm eligible for the $9.99 Leopard upgrade through the mail as well.

The same model listed on Apple shows everything the same, except includes an Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. It also has Leopard pre-installed, although I don't have a problem installing Leopard myself.

I also read somewhere that they also have some other more subtle upgrades as well - is that true?

Anyway, do you think it's worth keeping this one, or should I spend $100 more and get an upgraded one with my college discount? I would kind of like the most recent hardware, but I'm not sure if it warrants the extra $100. Does Leopard need that extra bit of memory - 64mb and 144mb seem like really small amounts, although doubling the amount seems like it would make a difference.
Hi Tomster,
Well, actually I was getting such deals here in Switzerland as well... but, I had sought advise from this forum and they told me to check the specs and voila! it was the older version... as I have discovered, It is next to impossible to get a discount on a Mac...

But, you are right... apart from the graphics capability and OS X Tiger - there is actually no difference. The graphics card is still integrated and shares memory. Unless you are a gamer... all this shouldn't matter ... then again the Macbooks are not yet suited for gaming anyways... even with the Intel GMA X3100...Macbook Pros are better suited for gaming...

My advise would be to quickly upgrade to OS X Leopard with the $9.99 upgrade offer... and it wouldn't matter anymore... then I would just spend some extra bucks on buying some RAM (they are cheap now) and upping it to say 2 or 4 gigs... (the manual tells you how to do it yourself!

I firmly believe the base model Macbook is the best value for money as it has the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and both the HDD and the RAM is upgradable as and when you need... as for the DVD writing.. you can always buy an external superdrive (which are dirt cheap as well)...

Stop worrying... and start enjoying your Macbook! Merry Christmas!
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2007, 08:36 AM

The newer model supports 4GB memory, yours only supports 3.
The GPU upgrade (950 to X3100) is more important than the VRAM increase, but it's not that big of a gain (10-100% faster depending on the game).

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2007, 11:40 AM

If it's only an extra hundred, go for it, provided you can return the current one for free or a very low restocking fee.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 12:32 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I have fifteen days to return it to the store with no questions asked or even a restocking fee. I think I am going to return it and just pick up one of the newer ones if only to make myself feel better. I have a desktop I built for gaming, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like it to have the latest and greatest hardware available for the price range.

Anybody else have any opinions? They're greatly appreciated!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2007, 04:33 PM

That's probably what I would do in your situation. It is always nice to have the latest model, and while the 4 Gb RAM limit and the new graphics might not be a big deal now, it can make a difference in the future.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2007, 07:50 PM

You may want that extra RAM headroom someday (4 vs 3), otherwise the speed differences are probably pretty trivial for everyday use (800Mhz FSB, X3100 graphics).

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

ankurcd
Dec 23, 2007, 03:30 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I have fifteen days to return it to the store with no questions asked or even a restocking fee. I think I am going to return it and just pick up one of the newer ones if only to make myself feel better. I have a desktop I built for gaming, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like it to have the latest and greatest hardware available for the price range.

Anybody else have any opinions? They're greatly appreciated!
15 days free return and no questions asked or even a restocking fee?... well, in that case it is a no-brainer... swap it for the new one... you would feel better
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 01:15 PM

I ended up picking up a new one for $100 more, if only to make myself fee better. Also like imitchellg5 said, it might not be much now, but it could make a difference in the future when the next OS comes out. I plan on keeping this laptop for awhile. I'm a college kid...I don't have that much money .

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 03:18 AM

I forgot to ask, what do you guys think of Apple's Applecare? Is it worth getting? I've heard mixed results about it.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2007, 07:00 AM

I forgot to ask, what do you guys think of Apple's Applecare? Is it worth getting? I've heard mixed results about it.
Funny you should ask. I never get it for some reason. The first iBook I had mysteriously died (logic board failure) a week after its first "freebie" year of AppleCare was up. Then I recently drowned my MacBook in Diet Coke, which isn't covered. My G4 iMac has been trouble-free for 4 years and change, and I never had AppleCare on that either.

I think it's far more important to make sure you have coverage from something like safeware.com or Homeowner's or Renter's add-ons that cover accidents, spills, theft with your laptop. *Trust* me!

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules