Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone to car connectivity - options?

iPhone to car connectivity - options?
dawho9
Senior User
Apr 8, 2008, 10:47 PM

OK, so I was checking some of the fancy car-connectivity that exists with the new Microsoft Sync technologies that are in some new Ford's. I'm under the impression that they even allow for voice dialing from the iPhone?

So I was wondering, anyone know of any after-market options that would allow me to get phone/music connectivity to my car?

Thanks in advance,

DJ
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2008, 03:07 PM

From what I understand, there are a few options.

1. FM transmitter. This will get the music to play through the car speakers. Not sure if the phone part will work. We tried this in Airplane mode and a Monster FM transmitter.

2. If the stereo has an AUX input, try that. It will not charge the iPhone, but I had a friend tell me that while using his, he got a call, and the AUX input plug acted like the headset cord, which allows you to talk and listen with the headphones. Well, the car stereo speakers acted as the headphones, and he was able to carry on a conversation using the speakers. Not tested by me, but by a friend. I don't have an AUX plug on my factory deck.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 12:41 AM

i'm interested in this too.

I've been looking around, and so far I think the best way to go might be to just get a cheap (~$150) radio for your car that has an aux input that you can just leave in and plug into the iPhone headset jack. Sound quality won't be great, but it's definitely adequate, and better than burning a CD for nearly every car ride since all my music is pretty much digital and I can't get it to my car easily.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 10:29 AM

The AUX input will still sound better than the best FM transmitter. The sound quality really should not be lost all that much, remember, it is acting like a pair of headphones, so the better the speakers, the better the sound.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2008, 10:22 AM

Right, what I meant by low sound quality was opposed to the specific "ipod car connection kits" rather than the FM transmitters (which do usually sound like crap). The specific ipod kits plug in through the dock connector and supposedly have better sound quality (plus the ability to control via steering wheel controls, etc).

However, all I want is something cheap so I'm fine giving up controls and stuff, just put a playlist on shuffle and it should be ok.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2008, 11:14 AM

If your car stereo has a CD Aux port on the back you can likely find an adapter that will take in some sort of sound source. My car just needed the source plugged in and the aux setting turned to "on". My wife's car had a factory stereo and I spent around $130 to get the Auxiliary input. That was actually without controls.

Currently, I'm outputting both to standard 1/8" stereo plugs. For my iPhone I currently take my Dock with me and hookup to the output. I'm waiting for some bare iPod 30pin plugs that I'm going to solder into Line out adapters. One for me, and one for the wife.

A note of caution. Any of the Car connection kits are going to have to have some sort of Aux input. Some of them are marked as being for a specific car or manufacturer. These will plug into your stereo. Others will need a go between...

Edit:
Oh yeah, your Phone. The iPhone's Head jack is recessed and unless you have an adapter, you won't be able to plug in a standard stereo plug. Calls DO NOT come in through the Lineout on the iPod connector. (and I don't believe they come through the regular audio on the iPod connector either.) Practically, they would come through headphone plug, but then the person calling you would hear their own echo from your stereo. I recommend you get a BT headset and have your phone plugged into your car. When it rings, the ringtone will come through your stereo, you can answer and the lineout will switch off while you're on the phone.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
The iPhone's Head jack is recessed and unless you have an adapter, you won't be able to plug in a standard stereo plug.
I just found this out today. I tried plugging it into standard computer speakers that I have here at work. The plug doesn't reach. I am guessing that you can get this adapter thing at Radio Shack? I am new to the iPhone, I just got mine last week.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 11:33 PM

Garmin bluetooth navigations systems list the iPhone as compatible. I have a Garmin Nuvi and a motorola E815 and the syncing is great. It tells me who is calling, lets me use the phone's own built in voice dialing, which works really good. Its as good a connection as you could possibly hope for.

Nothing like the bluetooth phone connection in Acura's. What a useless pile of **** that is.

taldrich
Apr 23, 2008, 01:37 PM

I had the Parrot (Parrot France, Parrot.com. Parrot SA, Bluetooth. Actualit�s kits mains-libres Parrot France.) fitted on my VW Touareg recently, which also has an AUX connector to the standard CD/Radio.

The iPhone connects to the Parrot via Bluetooth, and syncs contacts etc, and can also be used for voice dialling.

The whole set up is brilliant. Sound quality via the AUX input is adequate, and the Parrot interrupts the audio when a call comes in. It has caller ID and is very clear.

I will have this system put on every car I get in future. Very discreet installation, and much much cheaper than a factory phone instal.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

cms
Senior User
Apr 26, 2008, 03:01 AM

Calls DO NOT come in through the Lineout on the iPod connector. (and I don't believe they come through the regular audio on the iPod connector either.) Practically, they would come through headphone plug, but then the person calling you would hear their own echo from your stereo. I recommend you get a BT headset and have your phone plugged into your car. When it rings, the ringtone will come through your stereo, you can answer and the lineout will switch off while you're on the phone.
I have an iPhone. I have a car with an AUX stereo jack. I plug in my iPhone and listen to my tunes. A call comes in on my iPhone. The volume on my tunes fades down. I talk to the caller. He/she talks to me. We hang up and the volume on my tunes comes back up again. I drive. I am happy.

PS Callers tell me the sound quality is superb; better than on my Apple bluetooth headset. The caller's voice is crystal clear through my in-car speaker system.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cms View Post
I have an iPhone. I have a car with an AUX stereo jack. I plug in my iPhone and listen to my tunes. A call comes in on my iPhone. The volume on my tunes fades down. I talk to the caller. He/she talks to me. We hang up and the volume on my tunes comes back up again. I drive. I am happy.

PS Callers tell me the sound quality is superb; better than on my Apple bluetooth headset. The caller's voice is crystal clear through my in-car speaker system.
Are you plugging into your headphone port or the iPod connector?
I've never had this happen, but I'm plugging into my car through my iPhone dock and into the line out...
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

cms
Senior User
Apr 26, 2008, 11:35 AM

Are you plugging into your headphone port or the iPod connector?
I've never had this happen, but I'm plugging into my car through my iPhone dock and into the line out...
iPhone is plugged in via the headphone port. If I need/want to charge my iPhone, I do so via a separate (obviously...) cable connected to the iPhone docking port. It's a great solution for me, and sound quality is fantastic, both in and out.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2008, 11:57 AM

iPhone is plugged in via the headphone port. If I need/want to charge my iPhone, I do so via a separate (obviously...) cable connected to the iPhone docking port. It's a great solution for me, and sound quality is fantastic, both in and out.
What kind of adapter did you end up getting for your iPhone. There are only two possibilities I can see with this:

1) Your simply speaking and your iPhone's Mic is picking you up.
2) Your adapter somehow wires into one of the speakers, and your speakers are acting as a Microphone.

I'm inclined to think it's the first. I still recommend a line out solution as the sound quality for the tunes would be better.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

cms
Senior User
Apr 26, 2008, 12:23 PM

What kind of adapter did you end up getting for your iPhone. There are only two possibilities I can see with this:

1) Your simply speaking and your iPhone's Mic is picking you up.
2) Your adapter somehow wires into one of the speakers, and your speakers are acting as a Microphone.

I'm inclined to think it's the first. I still recommend a line out solution as the sound quality for the tunes would be better.
I think it must be something to do with my in car speaker system, as the sound quality out is vastly superior to theiPhone's speaker-phone/mic. Sound quality on my tunes is EXCELLENT -- but I suspect that has A LOT to do with the in-car stereo system.

rolnthdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2008, 02:06 PM

I think it must be something to do with my in car speaker system, as the sound quality out is vastly superior to theiPhone's speaker-phone/mic. Sound quality on my tunes is EXCELLENT -- but I suspect that has A LOT to do with the in-car stereo system.
I have a 5th generation iPod and I bought a car stereo that has an attached cord, which connects to the iPod via a dock connector on the bottom of the iPod. I thought that when I purchased my iPhone that I could hook it up the same way. However, my iPhone will not play any music when connected on this configuration. Has anyone had any success with this type of setup or is it even possible?

Thanks,
Larry

Forum Links
Forum Rules