Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PIsmo vs iBook 2001

PIsmo vs iBook 2001
Mac_Nacho
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 01:48 PM

Here are some quesitions I have regarding the "new" iBook:

1-Speed!! Is it better than a 400MHz Pismo??
2-Weight!! How does it feel? heavier or ligther than the Pismo?? How much ligther/heavier??
3- What about OS X?? Runs quite good? or is too slow?
4- What can we expect when Os 10.1 comes out? Should improve dramatically?
5- Endurance? the new iBook is solid? or feels like it's going to break anytime?
And the BIIIGGG question....should I go for one, instead of my Pismo?
thanks!!!
iMac 1GHz 17" Super Drive
iPod 5GB

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 15, 2001, 01:57 PM

I think you mean a Lombard? The pismo is 500mhz and has a rage128 w/8 megs of VRAM. The 500 pismo is better than the ibook. It has a 100mhz bus, compared to the 66mhz of the ibook, 1 meg of L2 cache versus the 256k of the ibook, just the screen size itself is better. However, if you are talking the 400mhz lombard, then the ibook is far far superior. The lombard has an inferiour graphics chip and Vram, and it's clockspeed is 20% slower. The pismo performs *slightly* better that the ibook in gaming, however, but not more then a couple FPS.

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 02:41 PM

There were lombard and pismo version of 400 mhz buddy.

Pismo was 100 mhz bus, pc100 memory, airport slot, 2 usb2 firewire slots
Lombard was 66 mhz bus, pc 66, no airport, 2 usb, 1 scsi

They both weighed the same and featured the same "bronze" keyboard.

Lombard models were 333 and 400
Pismo were 400 and 500
spam, this means nothing

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 15, 2001, 02:52 PM

AHA!

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2001, 04:25 PM

I had both machines for about a day, and I must say the the ibook matches up very well with the Pismo. I believe they are about even when it comes to X. I couldn't tell any difference in speed when I had them.
It's just my humble opinion.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2001, 04:36 PM

I recommend you stick with the Pismo since you can carry two batteries at once if need be, have a 100-megahertz system bus, two FireWire ports, VGA and S-Video without an adapter, and a better screen.

The Pismo is a superior machine. I prefer the keyboard on the Pismo, too.

I don't think you can fairly compare the iBook and recent PowerBooks. It's consumer versus professional. Quality reflects.

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 04:54 PM

yes, also some demanding video codecs play better on the pismo than the ibook due to the bus.
spam, this means nothing

<matrk>
Aug 16, 2001, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Mac_Nacho:
<STRONG>Here are some quesitions I have regarding the "new" iBook:

1-Speed!! Is it better than a 400MHz Pismo??

Well, i have access to ibook500 and my own pismo500 -- and i find my pismo is noticeably faster for imovie2, mp3 and other audio work. however, the firewire hdisk access is about the same whenever i plug in our external hdd (to store extra clips).

2-Weight!! How does it feel? heavier or ligther than the Pismo?? How much ligther/heavier??

ibook slightly lighter and smaller than pismo. but then i don't find pismo that bad, especially not after my previous wallstreet...

3- What about OS X?? Runs quite good? or is too slow?

osX runs ok on pismo, dunno about ibook

4- What can we expect when Os 10.1 comes out? Should improve dramatically?

i sure hope so, because i'm not about to change to osX anytime soon at the rate we're going...

5- Endurance? the new iBook is solid? or feels like it's going to break anytime?
And the BIIIGGG question....should I go for one, instead of my Pismo?

no, stay with pismo - way more versatile and not that much worse portability-wise compared to ibook.
but if someone gave me an ibook, well that's a bonus ;-)

thanks!!!</STRONG>

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 16, 2001, 02:43 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:47 AM. )

Package
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 03:09 PM

The Pismo most certainly does *not* have a better screen, it has a *larger* screen. Big difference. The new iBook's screen is quite noticeably brighter and of course, sharper, albeit smaller.

If you have a Pismo and like it well enough, there's no overwhelming reason to switch just yet. I switched because I wanted something smaller and lighter and didn't use the features that set the Pismo apart (PC card, video spanning, 2nd battery, etc). That plus the fact that at the time I could sell my Pismo and get a DVD iBook and still come out ahead...convinced me.

Also, if you want the DVD/CD-RW combo drive built-in, the new iBook is really the only nice solution for that.

Package

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>

Agreed. Unless you're looking for something that is smaller (and lighter) to carry around.

I just dumped my Lombard PowerBook for a Marble iBook. But if I had a Pismo, I would've held on to it for the time being. Enjoy what you have. You have a great machine. Let them come out with the next revisions before you make your move.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: daimoni ]</STRONG>
I Second that Motion! Comparing the Pismo500 to the iBook 500 is like comparing apples and oranges. I love my Pismo500.... it's so GOOD!

But I am looking at an iBook as an addition because i need something smaller and more portable. I think college students can understand.... It's a bitch to carry a pile of books in your backpack in addition to adding on a powerbook to your campus gear. I think I'm gonna get it as soon as I save enough for it. The DVD model will suffice.

And when that time comes, I'll make my Pismo500 a Mobile Desktop
F = ma

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 16, 2001, 09:01 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 12:48 AM. )

<capuchin>
Aug 16, 2001, 09:06 PM

Ultimately, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I sold my Pismo 500 for $2200, bought the iBook, and never looked back. Sure, I can't use PC Cards, run off two batteries etc, but the screen is excellent, and I feel the weight difference a *lot* more than I thought I would.

X runs great - as fast as it did on the Pismo, and with 10.1 it should run a lot faster - you might do a search on the OSX General forum - someone posted a movie of 10.1 running on a new iBook - verrrry impressive.

All in all, it's fast, rugged, light, small, and bright. Strongly recommended. And the best thing is that I was able to "upgrade" to the iBook and make $800 off the deal ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules