Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many A.I. refugees are here?

How many A.I. refugees are here?
Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 04:25 PM

As you already know, I am.
It's just my humble opinion.

The Installer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 05:19 PM

Just temporarily, I guess.

- T.I.

------------------
You call, I install
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is to you. - RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 05:30 PM

Me too.

But when AI is up (an increasingly rare event these days) I go there. I keep getting a bad feeling that they're going to kill AI. I hope not. If they do however I think the classy thing to do would be to create a few extra forums here (future/rumor stuff) and transfer all the AI users/passwords here.

Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 05:31 PM

I live in both neighborhoods. By the way, Quadzmodo, where in Pensacola are you?

Quadzmodo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by ctt1wbw:
I live in both neighborhoods. By the way, Quadzmodo, where in Pensacola are you?
Western Pensacola. I live in a new subdivision, not yet two months old. I live close to the naval training station? Are you in Pensacola or just familiar with it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 23, 2001, 05:59 PM

Sorry about the AI forum downtime, it was due to the server crashing (the fact that it went down now is pure coincidence).

tooki

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Sorry about the AI forum downtime, it was due to the server crashing (the fact that it went down now is pure coincidence).

tooki
Aw, come-on. I thought it was a cube running OSX. I should never crash!
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Quadzmodo:
Western Pensacola. I live in a new subdivision, not yet two months old. I live close to the naval training station? Are you in Pensacola or just familiar with it?
I went to Corry Station twice for three different schools. Total of about 12 or 13 months worth of training. Been sailing a few times down there. The last time I went to school there, there were no open rooms in the barracks on base so the Navy put me up for 3 glorious months in the Best Western suites across from University Mall. Talk about the rough life! I would like to go back down there. I love that area, especially out towards Gulf Breeze and Destin. Beautiful beaches. Oh, and the women...

Quadzmodo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 10:24 PM

I went to Corry Station twice for three different schools. Total of about 12 or 13 months worth of training. Been sailing a few times down there. The last time I went to school there, there were no open rooms in the barracks on base so the Navy put me up for 3 glorious months in the Best Western suites across from University Mall. Talk about the rough life! I would like to go back down there. I love that area, especially out towards Gulf Breeze and Destin. Beautiful beaches. Oh, and the women...
Believe it or not it's gotten better.. The beaches and the women. It is a beautiful place, I missed it when I lived in Atlanta. Nothing like southern hospitality.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 11:14 PM

You lived in Atlanta? I grew up in Snellville, which is in Gwinnett County. I went back a few years ago and vowed to never live there again. It's so crowded I thought I was going to die of old age at a traffic light. But I am a big Braves fan. Always have been and will be.

elppa cam
May 24, 2001, 01:16 AM

Ha-ha... what was the question? Oh, yeah... AI refugees... count me as one... for now...(if you know how to count votes...tee-hee)

AI... where are you??

[This message has been edited by elppa cam (edited 05-24-2001).]
"I... baked... your... dog... for... you..."

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 24, 2001, 01:19 AM

AppleInsider will return.

Can't say much more than that. All of us are really busy, most of all NFN, and they haven't given us all the details on the AI front yet. But they're not killing it, that's fer durn sure.

Rest easy.

HTH

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 01:54 AM

<singing: "it's a small world, after all...">

that's funny that this thread is turning into 6 degrees of separation. to contribute to the fold, i'm from gulf shores...i'm sure you know where that is quad.

gwrjr33
Senior User
May 24, 2001, 04:50 AM

Another AI refugee here.

My brother lived in Norcross, Ga. That's in Gwinnett, right? My other brother is in Lawrenceville these days. My dad lived in Fla. for 20 years but I never got up around the panhandle area. I'm mostly familiar with the east coast from West Palm all the way up to St. Augustine. I really like St. Augustine. The Space Coast is nice too. Got to see a night launch of a Delta rocket a few years back. That was seriously cool. It was like a 30 second sunrise.

Also, my sister lives in Savannah but el matteo already knew that.

[This message has been edited by gwrjr33 (edited 05-24-2001).]

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 05:54 AM

Should we re-name the lounge to "refugee camp?"

I'm here...

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 07:50 AM

I think I'll keep bring this up untill AI finally gets reliably delivered.

Thanks.

It was down again as of this morning.

wormboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 08:20 AM

One more AIer here. Are you sure that cube has not been retasked to QuakeIIIArena?

Retrograde
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 08:32 AM

I think we have all gotten used to AI's instability... unfortunately.

But what I don't understand is why AI goes down as much as it does? I mean, why doesn't the MacNN forum go down with similar regularity? What are the differences in hardware and/or platform that makes AI more unstable than the MacNN forums?

Oh, and you can count another in your poll. Whenever AI goes down I end up checking out this forum and sure enough there is a bunch of AIers kicking about.

------------------
We're the first culture in the history of the world that ever regarded innovation as a friendly act.
Marshall McLuhan
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 08:37 AM

ahhhh were getting infiltrated by AI guys!

Quadzmodo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by el matteo:
<singing: "it's a small world, after all...">

that's funny that this thread is turning into 6 degrees of separation. to contribute to the fold, i'm from gulf shores...i'm sure you know where that is quad.
Good to hear from you. Did you go to the mullet toss this year? For all you of you aren't familiar with the gulf coast it's when people gather around and throw fish as far as they can. They are drunk at the time so it's kinda funny. Weird in my opinion, but a lot of people go.

If you're ever in Pensacola look me up. I'll buy the first round

Quadzmodo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 11:33 AM

You lived in Atlanta? I grew up in Snellville, which is in Gwinnett County. I went back a few years ago and vowed to never live there again. It's so crowded I thought I was going to die of old age at a traffic light. But I am a big Braves fan. Always have been and will be.
Clark County Athens here. 45 minutes outside of the new capitol of the south. It's a great place, with a laid back college atmosphere. Too bad I'm an FSU & Florida fan, I almost didn't survive my experience there. lol

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 12:14 PM

Yeah, Quad, those Dawgs out there aren't too easy to get along with if you are a fan of anything down in Florida. Or anywhere for that matter. Hunker Down You Hairy Dawgs! How many times did you hear that on the radio? And when the Dawgs played Between the Hedges, highway 124 would be backed up all the way through Lawrenceville and Snellville. What a nightmare. Anyway, enjoy the sun and surf and beer and women down there in the sun!

artman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 12:17 PM

I seem to "commute" from one forum to another daily...frustrating but what else can one do..?

------------------
The Artman @_@
http://www.artshack.com

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 03:10 PM

I missed the mullet toss this year! I'm going to school in Savannah so I don't get to make it home very often. I'm going back soon for the summer. i thought about staying here, but the east coast just doesn't hold a candle to the gulf coast. I miss the white sands! The beach is like concrete here.

I'm going to the Flora-Bama the night I come home for my birthday. I'm turning 21 the day after I get home. I can't wait!

The Installer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 04:13 PM

...and when you get back, AI still won't be back up.

- T.I.

------------------
You call, I install
Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is to you. - RALPH WALDO EMERSON

Mandricard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 04:25 PM

I'm here too.

Get Cubed
May 24, 2001, 04:30 PM

I just looked back. Yup, still down. I know there must be more AI members here. Where do you all go during the 90% of the time AI is down?

Get Cubed

Belle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 04:48 PM

I'm lurking, as usual. I've been lurking at MacNN on and off for a long, long time - longer than at AI - but it doesn't have the same post-appeal that AI has.

AI is always down when there are fun things to rumormonger over. This week, we've got the imminent arrival of OS X 10.0.4 (or 5, depending who you read), and this juicy stuff from AlphaTop about new iBooks/PowerBooks/tablets/something else. Discussing them here doesn't produce the same bizarre mix of optimism, pessimism, excitement, trolling and downright weirdness that comes with the territory that is AppleInsider.

It's been hard keeping up with all the nonsense here about NFN and whatnot, so can someone tell me if there's been any official word on the future of AI?

Belle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 04:57 PM

Next time, I'll wait until the icons appear before randomly trying to guess where in my browser window the "Edit" button is.

[This message has been edited by Belle (edited 05-24-2001).]

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 06:21 PM

Maybe some of the topics from AI could be added to these forums. That way, it wouldn't matter as much if the AI forums are offline.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2001, 06:36 PM

It's amazing how buggy the AI boards are. What's even more amazing is the response time of MacNN staffers. What's it take, like 5 minutes to re-boot/set-up the thing?

(At least you've still got your original name here, Belle. )

finboy
May 24, 2001, 06:58 PM

Gorgonzola:
I know you guys SAY you aren't trying to kill AI, but if it keeps on being buggy, you won't HAVE to kill it. If it stays down any more, it will be (de facto) DADE.

I'll miss it.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by haunebu:
It's amazing how buggy the AI boards are. What's even more amazing is the response time of MacNN staffers. What's it take, like 5 minutes to re-boot/set-up the thing?

(At least you've still got your original name here, Belle. )
You didn't know? The G4 cube that runs the AI servers is kept inside a locked closet inside a military encampment somewhere in eastern europe. What, you actually thought they would leave a computer with such SOOPER TOP-SEKRET INF0 on it just in somebody's office! pshaw!

matteo

Belle
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 07:14 PM

It's nice to have it back, haunebu. A kindly moderator offered to give my old name back to me at AI, but unfortunately the forum has not stayed up long enough to get that fixed.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 08:40 PM

I'd like to send a shout out to all my homeys�

Fran441
May 24, 2001, 08:43 PM

I'm just checking in here to see if there was any new news on the AI front. (Guess their OS X 'server' is *really* buggy. )

Edit: Two signatures? Weird.
-----------------
It's time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, Long Live the Newton!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Fran441 (edited 05-24-2001).]
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2001, 08:50 PM

I'm here *sigh*

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2001, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by haunebu:
I know. I'll host the damn thing on my computer. How hard can it be?

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 09:33 PM

Alright AIers, why don't we just rumor monger in this thread, or better ye start rumor mongering all over the the other harware and software fora, some of the current (anal) MacNN crowd really hates that.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 10:28 PM

you can toss me in here too...
tho i posted under a different handle at AI...but this handle is registered there...

------------------
Is this what you wanted?
Is this what you had in mind?
Is this what you wanted?
Cuz this is what you're getting.
I hope you choke.
Is this what you wanted?
Is this what you had in mind?
Is this what you wanted?
Cuz this is what you're getting.
I hope you choke.

dolphyjazz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I'm here too....mostly lurking. It sucks when I get home from work and the AI forums are down. Oh well....maybe tomorrow.
dolphyjazz

------------------
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM
iMac DV 400mhz (99)
384 MB RAM

David R
May 24, 2001, 11:32 PM

might as well come out. Me too.

roiler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2001, 11:45 PM

Yeah, me to
http://www.orangeinsider.org/

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 11:45 PM

I have seriously lost interest in bothering with AI anymore. I still pop in when it is up, but few of the topics draw me in for a response. Maybe I'm just burned out on Mac's?...
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

torifile
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 12:17 AM

I'm hear to. I've been here for a while. The ibook forum is better than the current hardware we have at AI.

Quaz, i'm in school in Athens GA. Considering all the people from the southeast here, why don't they put an apple store nearby? Birmingham? Why???

Whisper
May 25, 2001, 12:23 AM

I'm here, but I'm not sure for how long. I haven't really had much of a chance to check out the forums yet. The developer forums look cool, I've been looking for something like them off and on for a while. At this point I haven't really thought about if I'm gonna keep hanging out at AI, nor do I intend to give it much thought until this whole thing gets worked out and AI's either reliably up or officially down. Until then, I'll just have to deal with the extra spare time .

-Whisper
-Whisper

wyntir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 03:41 AM

Hey yall. Sort-of lurking here, mostly at &lt;plug&gt;OrangeInsider! Somewhere the sun shines, somewhere children laugh, somewhere robins flit playfully from branch to branch, singing their endless hymn to spring. That place - is OrangeInsider. For those of a more discerning taste.&lt;/plug&gt;
So, who're these NFN dudes, anyhoo? (Owners? We don NEED no steenkin owners. )

wyn
'Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.'
- Baron Munchausen from 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen'

SYN
Senior User
May 25, 2001, 04:09 AM

yeah, I'm here too. AI had to go down just when I had more time to post there. Oh well...

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
I'm hear to. I've been here for a while. The ibook forum is better than the current hardware we have at AI.

Quaz, i'm in school in Athens GA. Considering all the people from the southeast here, why don't they put an apple store nearby? Birmingham? Why???
Hey Tori - B'ham is on tap for 2001. Montgomery, Mobile, Atlanta, Tallahassee, Panama City, Savannah are all getting them eventually, so says Apple's map. But Birmingham was announced as once of this year's openings. I hope it's sometime this summer so I can make the trek (only 3 hours from home)

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 04:32 AM

Been unregistered here, but that last AI crash finally got me to sign up over here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules