Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How to adjust Windows XP for "best performance"

How to adjust Windows XP for "best performance"
The Blue Meanie
Nov 13, 2001, 04:56 PM

I quote from a recent letter to the IT section of a national British newspaper:
"In your article on Windows XP, you claim that its [Luna] appearance has no alternativee. Actually, if you go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, and select 'Adjust for best performance', Windows reverts to something almost indistinguishable from the Windows 98/2000 desktop."

Been in the long grass....

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2001, 06:05 PM

I wish they had something like that for OS X

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2001, 06:08 PM

For best performance I suggest a reformat and a Linux install.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2001, 06:12 PM

For best performance, step outside, and holding your XP disk firmly in right hand, launch into oncoming traffic, with a smooth side-hand motion.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 13, 2001, 08:41 PM

Topic: How to adjust Windows XP for "best performance"
Turn it off and get a Mac?

Mike

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2001, 10:17 PM

Its easy. All you have to do to get the most out of XP is get a Dual processor machine and upgrade to XP pro. Geez, with a solution as easy as that I better put my Mac on eBay post-haste.

austeros
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 10:23 PM

put it in the microwave and make a cool looking coaster

3 seconds aught to be enough

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Creation
Nov 13, 2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>For best performance, step outside, and holding your XP disk firmly in right hand, launch into oncoming traffic, with a smooth side-hand motion.

CV</STRONG>
What if you're left-handed? You'll probably throw it behind you and it'll land on the welcome mat totally unharmed.
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. - SomethingAwful.com

shanraghan
Senior User
Nov 13, 2001, 10:38 PM

Well, adjusting Windows XP for best performance depends on what you consider 'best performance'.

For me, military performance is best.

Just meld some aerodynamic razor fins onto the CD(s), load into a modified crossbow, aim fire and slay Microsoft Tech Support bloodily. &gt;.^
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>For best performance I suggest a reformat and a Linux install.</STRONG>
You Linux people are worse then Mac users.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2001, 11:20 PM

How best to adjust Windows XP "for optimum performance"?

Typically, I find an acetylene torch seems to work well. Failing that, a buzzsaw will suffice. But if it's a real emergency, an axe will do in a pinch.

Or, there's my simple Three-Step Process to Get Better Performance from WinXP:[list=1][*]Sell PC on eBay.[*]Buy a Mac.[*]Forget about WinXP.[/list=a]
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2001, 05:49 AM

Give XP CD to US military and have them launch at Taliban.

That would be XP's best performance

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: typoon ]
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

superlarry
Senior User
Nov 16, 2001, 06:20 PM

give your computer fins, a spoiler, and a racing stripe. maybe put a fan on yourself so you *think* you're speeding along. and wear sunglasses. there, now you're cool for having XP.. almost.

suprz
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>

Turn it off and get a Mac?

Mike</STRONG>
mike, you read my mind...
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2001, 12:03 PM

Actually I was going to post a thread asking why my emachines p-3 500 with 192 megs of ram feels MUCH faster than my pismo 500 with 1 gig of ram.

I dusted off the 'ol emachines to do some COM programming in Visual Basic and decided to come on over to MacNN and realized how fast my PeeCee is compared to my Pismo at doing stupid things like web browsing!!

What gives?!!!

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 17, 2001, 02:25 PM

wow, either you guys are in serious denial or have serious problems.

ap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Raman:
<STRONG>Actually I was going to post a thread asking why my emachines p-3 500 with 192 megs of ram feels MUCH faster than my pismo 500 with 1 gig of ram.

I dusted off the 'ol emachines to do some COM programming in Visual Basic and decided to come on over to MacNN and realized how fast my PeeCee is compared to my Pismo at doing stupid things like web browsing!!

What gives?!!!</STRONG>
Im actually surfing right now on a pentium1 133 mhz with 32 mb ram and windows 95, and its also much faster than the G3 350, 192 mb, OS 9.1 that I usually surf on.

Macs are cool machines, but they are slow compared to windows machines. Especially in web-browsing, fileopening, and jpeg viewing.

ap

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2001, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>How best to adjust Windows XP "for optimum performance"?

Typically, I find an acetylene torch seems to work well. Failing that, a buzzsaw will suffice. But if it's a real emergency, an axe will do in a pinch.

Or, there's my simple Three-Step Process to Get Better Performance from WinXP:[list=1][*]Sell PC on eBay.[*]Buy a Mac.[*]Forget about WinXP.[/list=a]</STRONG>
Millennium, You could combine step 2 and 3 since if you buy a Mac you can forget about XP then there would be no step 3.

Sorry had to bring that one up
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2001, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Raman:
<STRONG>Actually I was going to post a thread asking why my emachines p-3 500 with 192 megs of ram feels MUCH faster than my pismo 500 with 1 gig of ram.

What gives?!!!</STRONG>
you do realize that web speed is all your connection speed. A little comes from the browser which would then depend on the processor. Nothing magical.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2001, 04:42 AM

Juan, you're very mistaken.

Earlier this year, someone compared Mac browsers versus PC browsers. Mac browsers were smoked by PC browsers in every test, losing by a margin of 80% or more.

One of those old (top-end) 733-megahertz G4 Power Macs lost to a Pentium II 233 if I recall correctly.

I love my Pismo/500 a lot, but I don't find it very practical considering my Pentium II/266 notebook is considerably faster. And I'm not even going to talk about my VAIO or Athlon desktop.

vsurfer
Senior User
Nov 18, 2001, 11:44 AM

Seems the computercounterculture in the UK has someting to spray I mean say on the matter:
http://freespace.virgin.net/andrew.harrison4/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/22837.html

FERRO
Senior User
Nov 18, 2001, 07:06 PM

erase it and use the expensive software install disk as a coffee table coaster.... "for optimum performance"...

� FERRO 2001-2002

Forum Links
Forum Rules