Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AlchemyTV Questions

AlchemyTV Questions
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 04:42 PM

So I just purchased the AlchemyTV DVR, and I'm enjoying it. I've got a couple questions though.

1) I've tried using the beta software that they have available for download on their site. At first, it wouldn't accept my serial number, but an email to Miglia fixed that. But now, as I go through the setup assistant, while scanning for channels, it hangs and stalls on channel 126 (my viewable cable channels only go to 71). It then doesn't allow me to go any further, and it doesn't register that it scanned any channels at all. Therefor, it renders the DVR app useless. I am on a U.S. cable system. Also, in the Preferences setup, if I switch to NTSC the app crashes.

2) Does anyone have a good compression setup going? I am a noob when it comes to video compression, and there are so many options I'm getting a bit lost. I'd like to get 640x480 at a decent quality, and a decent file size. Right now, I'm using MPEG-4 at the "High" setting, 30fps and 1024 bitrate. It yields a 20 minute (after cutting commercials) show to about 1.5GB. That's a bit high for me. I'd like to see it get down to 700MB or so. Anyone have a preferred setting?

Other than the first problem with the beta software, I'm really enjoying the card. I just wish the software was a bit nicer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules