Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to open WordPerfect files?

How to open WordPerfect files?
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 12:01 PM

Is there any free or nearly free way to easily open WordPerfect files on either 9 or X? I just need to print a document.

mindwaves
Mar 2, 2004, 12:18 PM

I think Corel has WordPerfect free for download for Mac OS 9 users. (www.corel.com)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2004, 12:20 PM

What format is the document in?

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 12:29 PM

It's in WordPerfect format... hence the post. I can't open it to tell the version. Corel doesn't seem to have the Mac application anymore.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 12:34 PM

check this thread from a few days ago - there is a link in there for d/l of wordperfect.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 12:45 PM

If it was made in a relatively recent version of wordperfect, I don't think you can open it on a Mac unfortunately. (If I'm wrong, somebody please let me know).

I'll bet MacLinkPlus or whatever it's called now could do it, but that's an investment...
cpac

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 01:24 PM

Nah, you're screwed if it is a recent version of WP. I asked this question a while back for a friend of mine whose law office only uses WP. There is an old version (3.5?) for Classic that you can download, but after that, you're out of luck. There seems to be an OpenOffice plugin that is partly done and can import basic stuff, but is limited on some formatting. That might work if you can get OO running.

kman

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2004, 02:03 PM

I still have to deal with the occasional WordPerfect user, and I have no trouble at all opening newly-created WordPerfect for Windows files with my old copy of WP Mac 3.5 running in classic. (And the files I create/edit on the Mac open in Windows just fine.) Luckily, the basic WordPerfect file format has remained virtually unchanged for years.

I sure wish Apple would add a WordPerfect read capability into the next version of TextEdit, though ...

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 02:55 PM

yes actually, I take it back.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of WP (3.5e+some updates) and was able to open a document made with WP 9.0 on the PC.

Tables and footnotes came through fine (though some of 3.5e's interface seems very archaic

That said, you cannot save from 3.5e to a format more recent that WP 8.0 for PC.
cpac

darrick
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 09:29 PM

i don't know how heavily you want to get into dealing with conversions and such, but here's the link to maclink, which converts document files to different formats:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/

i use wordperfect and love it; it's an old interface but the functionality is just so super.

hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules