Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > -5002, An error occurred

-5002, An error occurred
harpercollins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 11:18 AM

Hello!
All of the sudden now, everytime I try to log into one of our company servers, i get an error. The error I get is: Connecting to afp:// ... An error has occurred (error = -5002). Here's the funny thing... When I log into a different account on the same computer, I can log into the server with no problem. Could this be a bad .plist file or a bad pref file(s) somewhere? Any assistance would be great! This is a G5 with 10.2.8 and one gb of memory.
Thanks!
mm

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 11:37 AM

Panther has improved networking compatibility, I would recommend saving yourself hours of troubleshooting and either A) clean archive/install of Jag or b) bite the bullet and put panther on that bad boy...youll see a DRAMATIC speed up!

harpercollins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 02:39 PM

check this out...

After being pressured by upper management to get this fixed and resolved once and for all, I had to make a move and do what I usually use to do in OS 9. I use to delete anything and everything that I wasn't familar with in OS 9, and guess what... it worked. Since OS X is a new beast for me, the only way I am going to be able to figure this whole new experience out, is through trial and error. It appears that there is something in the user/library/preference folder that either goes corrupt or needs replacing. I deleted the preference folder. Restarted the machine (this will create a new user/library/pref folder). Logged back into the account i was experiencing this problem with, and wa-la... I was able to log into my server again with no error. Keep in mind that all of your personal prefs and what nots will default back to to their original settings. You will have to go back in and reset your cosmetic settings like desktop picts, folder actions... I think you get the drift.

Thanks!
mm

darrick
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 02:58 PM

i haven't had this problem you describe myself...

tho i think *repairing permissions* is generally the magical quick fix for these gremlin problems on osX that *trashing preferences* was on os9.

harpercollins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 05:55 PM

FYI:

Actually, I did repair permissions before dumping the prefs folder. Still nothing. I even ran Norton Utilities and Disk Warrior before that just to rule out any directory problems. Still nothing. I even deleted all the cache files before deleting the prefs folder. Still nothing. Looks like something in the prefs folder is the culprit. But what I wonder?!?

Thanks!
mm

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 12, 2004, 10:27 PM

For what it's worth...

Code:
afpBadUAM = -5002, /* Unknown user authentication method specified */
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules