Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram from OWC or Crucial?

Ram from OWC or Crucial?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 07:34 PM

I have a New iMac 24inch and it rocks.
My question is has anyone ever used ram from OWC?
Which is a better buy?
4gigs from OWC for $90?
or
4gigs from Crucial for $129?
I am looking to order ASAP, thanks...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 08:37 PM

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2008, 09:21 AM

OWC is

Newegg is

I'm always afraid to buy memory from newegg (although I have) because I'm afraid of getting the wrong kind - due to an error on my part, not newegg's. With Mac-friendly sites like OWC, you just click on your model and it tells you what you need.

Or you can just post something here and someone will find the right memory for you at newegg!!!

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 4, 2008, 09:58 AM

I always buy my RAM from OWC, they have an incredible replacement policy (which I have used). I always try to support Pro-Mac shops.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the help, but what is the best bang for the buck in terms of quality and price?
I am going to try and order something soon.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 12:17 PM

The memory you get from Crucial is Micron, which is a top name brand, and one of the brands that Apple uses for their preinstalled RAM. A lot of people on here praise OWC, but I don't know who actually makes it, what kind of QA they do on it, etc., and it appears to be generic. If you want the RAM to be high-quality, I'd prefer Crucial.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 12:34 PM

thank you. i am at crucials site and overnight shipping is not that much...

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 4, 2008, 12:42 PM

Have always ordered from OWC. Never a problem. I do pay the extra for the certified for mac pro. Excellent customer service too.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Have always ordered from OWC. Never a problem. I do pay the extra for the certified for mac pro. Excellent customer service too.
Randy
DItto. I have a 2GB stick for my new 24-inch iMac and it's been fine.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2008, 07:00 PM

I've ordered RAM from all three places; NewEgg, Crucial, and OWC.

NewEgg: Excellent selection, often times sell Crucial memory for less than crucial.com does. Economic shipping options. Stick with the good brands -- the no-names will often lead to nothing but Kernel Panics and Boot error beeps. No sales tax unless you live in CA, NJ, or TN.

Crucial.com: You know for sure you're getting the correct memory. Shipping is high and most places they charge sales tax.

OWC: Often its Micron (Crucial) RAM with their house label on it. The memory I ordered from them for my MacBook Pro was made with Micron chips -- essentially making it a house-branded Crucial. Look in the zoomed photos of the chips. Micron has a distinct logo. OWC ships the slowest because of longer processing times, but they have economical shipping prices.

Bottom line -- All three are excellent vendors, just go for the one with the best price and shipping terms you're most comfortable with. But Crucial memory is top notch stuff, and in most cases completely manufactured in the USA. I always do my best to support US companies and Mac shops like ourselves.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2008, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
A lot of people on here praise OWC, but I don't know who actually makes it, what kind of QA they do on it, etc., and it appears to be generic.
In the end it does not matter since OWC offers lifetime warranty. And in the case at hand, it is Micron memory.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 10:35 AM

thanks a lot everyone.
i decided to go crucial and i will see what happens.
it should be there today. !!!
if it works out well i am going to order some more for the other mac tonight!

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
I've ordered RAM from all three places; NewEgg, Crucial, and OWC.

NewEgg: Excellent selection, often times sell Crucial memory for less than crucial.com does. Economic shipping options. Stick with the good brands -- the no-names will often lead to nothing but Kernel Panics and Boot error beeps. No sales tax unless you live in CA, NJ, or TN.

Crucial.com: You know for sure you're getting the correct memory. Shipping is high and most places they charge sales tax.

OWC: Often its Micron (Crucial) RAM with their house label on it. The memory I ordered from them for my MacBook Pro was made with Micron chips -- essentially making it a house-branded Crucial. Look in the zoomed photos of the chips. Micron has a distinct logo. OWC ships the slowest because of longer processing times, but they have economical shipping prices.

Bottom line -- All three are excellent vendors, just go for the one with the best price and shipping terms you're most comfortable with. But Crucial memory is top notch stuff, and in most cases completely manufactured in the USA. I always do my best to support US companies and Mac shops like ourselves.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 04:52 PM

I don't know if I'm just really lucky, but I've always ordered cheap, no name brand memory from Newegg, and never had any trouble at all.

If you want the added security, OWC is probably best. I've found that Crucial is always the most expensive.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 07:35 PM

With every Mac I've had I've ordered the memory from OWC. The staff there is always so helpful if you have any questions. I've always found their shipping to be very fast and always leaving the same day that I order it.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 10:26 PM

thank you all again for your help.
i just got and installed my 4gig sticks for my macbook pro.
it rocks.
i am currently running 11 large programs and i am having no lag.
i ended up going with crucial and getting overnight shipping.
i ordered late in the day and it still ended up coming the next day.
today i ordered another 4 gigs for the new iMac that me and the lady ended up getting: http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...nvert-my-lady/
hmmm.... that iMac 24inch is super cool and i miss it since it is at her place, but it is hurtin' in the ram department with only 1gig.
i will be getting the 4gig sticks tomm afternoon and will have them installed in there by the night.
i will update everyone then to see if it makes a difference in the areas that I need it to.
Next time i need ram,, i am going to give OWC a shot.

Raman
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 12:01 AM

+1 for OWC. I've been ordering memory from them since 2000 for my various Mac's.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 10:31 PM

they are ok, but i rock

Forum Links
Forum Rules