Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Adobe fixes data-eating bug in previous Creative Cloud update

Adobe fixes data-eating bug in previous Creative Cloud update
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 15, 2016, 01:28 PM

Late last night, Adobe issued a patch to fix a serious problem that had arisen in its latest update of its Creative Cloud software. On Friday, some users -- particularly those who used the Backblaze backup service -- found that installing the CC update would delete the contents of whatever was the "first" folder (listed alphabetically) in the root system directory. The script that caused the problem would remove contents of the (usually invisible) first-listed folder.

The deletion of user data does not occur in the simple act of installing the update, but only when users would then open the applications, which triggered the script that cause the problem. Backblaze, which uses a hidden ".bzvol" folder, discovered the problem from user reports and subsequently confirmed the issue, notifying Adobe. In some cases, however, users who had the hidden Apple system folder ".DocumentRevisions-V100" at the top of their root drive would lose critical autosave and version history data, which could result in problems with updating and restoring revisions, along with other system problems.

User image of the damage done by errant CC update
User image of the damage done by errant CC update

Shortly after receiving the reports, the company pulled the update while they tracked down the issue. "Earlier today we were notified of an issue with an update to the Creative Cloud Desktop application on Mac that we rolled out earlier in the week. In a small number of cases, the updater may incorrectly remove some files from the system root directory with user writeable permissions," the company said. The corrected update is now available for Mac or Windows installs.

Users who were affected by the flaw are advised to contact Adobe customer support. The corrected update will also appear automatically for most users within the next 24 hours, and should be installed.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 15, 2016 at 02:11 PM. )

zehspoon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2016, 09:50 AM

One more benefit of Creative Cloud.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Feb 16, 2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by zehspoon1 View Post
One more benefit of Creative Cloud.
Wow, yea, this is a pretty amazing one to me. That's a really big oops!

I've been on the edge over Creative Cloud. I have separate tools that do quite well for what I need, but sometimes having that kind of compatibility with peers and clients would be beneficial. And, when I add up what I'm spending separately, I could justify a subscription... IF they really are, overall, the best toolset. (I'd use many of the apps... Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition for websites and podcasting, and possibly Premier and AE for video and 3D work, which I don't do as much anymore. I suppose a few of the other tools could be useful now and then.)

But, I'm not sure that as a group, the apps would be quite as good, or I'd like to use them as much, as specific separate apps. (i.e.: Pixelmator, Affinity, Screen Flow, Audacity / Logic, Final Cut, etc.)
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules