Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iNews - New (and v nice) RSS Reader

iNews - New (and v nice) RSS Reader
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 08:00 AM

Just thought i'd bring attention to iNews, as I havent seen it mentioned here.

It is very nice, nicer than NewsFire IMHO.

Check it out here
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 08:21 AM

Safari RSS.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 08:21 AM

And the RSS Visualizer screensaver rocks.

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Safari RSS.
Yes safari is cool. but this wasnt a name the RSS reader thread

Also, when you want stuff like smart folders and folders picking out keywords in many RSS feeds Safari just wont do.

not that i dont like safari

Anyway, how about we stick to iNews in this thread (wanted to use that smiley for ages )
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 10:44 AM

You can stick to your app but you should know that with so many people going to Tiger and getting the free RSS in Safari, this isn't the most opportune to suggest others. My $.02.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
You can stick to your app but you should know that with so many people going to Tiger and getting the free RSS in Safari, this isn't the most opportune to suggest others. My $.02.
I think it's the perfect time to point out to people that there are alternatives that might *gasp* be even better than what is presented to them from the beginning.

Personally, I really like having a distinct RSS reader that's seperate from my browser. I use Firefox, but for RSS I use NetNewsWire.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Personally, I really like having a distinct RSS reader that's seperate from my browser. I use Firefox, but for RSS I use NetNewsWire.
Hey, just talk about the rss reader mentioned in the first post. Did they skip you as well with the memo on it?

Adolf W. Bush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

It's nice, but it seems quite similar to others out there. Personally speaking, Newsfire really has this nailed down. It takes the concept, doesn't produce another Mail-type app, and then introduces something far more interesting.

But... it's always good to see people pushing stuff out there.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 12:39 PM

I just wish there was more free stand alone RSS readers out there. Where's the Adium of RSS?, that's what i want to know.

asdasd
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 11:44 AM

"It's nice, but it seems quite similar to others out there. Personally speaking, Newsfire really has this nailed down. It takes the concept, doesn't produce another Mail-type app, and then introduces something far more interesting."

Just downloaded this:

It is not fair to say that it does not extend the RSS concept.

iNews has a search option with 100,000 feeds in the list. It's like and itunes for news. Check it out on the toolbar. First time I ever saw that in an RSS application on any platform.

Also I think it beats NewsFire on the look and feel too. It is more like Safari RSs in that it shows all news items, across multiple feeds in a group - what feed is actually shown can be edited in the popups on top, or you can use a command key equivalent. Plus you can browse by caegory.

A for Safari RSS, i think - although it is very good - it has some limitations i think People will run out of bookmark space pretty soon :-)

DylanG
May 2, 2005, 12:02 PM

I've been a NetNewWire user and was disappointed with the Safari RSS design. So far I haven't seen any "in-browser" RSS implementation that I liked. I thought maybe Apple would get it right but I don't think it's well suited for someone who follows a lot of feeds.

I don't like NewsFire. The interface is pretty and very Apple like but I found it cumbersome to have to switch to my browser to read the full article. IMO, NewsFire only works well for feeds that put the complete article in the feed.

I've only played with iNews for a little bit but I like it... maybe enought to switch to it. It's the little things that matter when you're a heavy user of an app. In iNews I like how Command-[ (which I've mapped to a button on my mouse) brings me from the article back to the headline view. I'm constantly hitting that in NetNewsWire and then realizing that instead I need to hunt for the little x to close the tab.

asdasd
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 12:11 PM

"I've only played with iNews for a little bit but I like it... maybe enought to switch to it.
"

Well the thing with me is that I dont use RSS. i downloaded this from a download site cos I download a lot of things. Normally I throw them away a most RSS readers look like email, and start empty. So i have to go to sites, get the RSS url, and copy them over. Couldnt be bothered.

Now iNews got me because I noticed the search option, then I search for "sex" :-), and found some good entries.

I was doing that as a test,of course, cos that is the way to the main consumers heart :-) Not for myself.

That kind of thing may push RSS readership out of geekdom. Getting URLs from a sperate app wil not.

i dont have tiger yet, will for 10.4.1, but I think RSS would be get very busy and full in a browser where it has to share space with other bookmarks.

i did like the demo of the screensaver I saw some time ago on a colleagues pre-release tiger. There is nothing stopping other RSS readers from doing this, though.

DylanG
May 2, 2005, 01:10 PM

Heh... I like your user id. It reminds me of my 9th grade typing teacher who would sit in the front of the room and shout "asdf"... "jklsem" while a bunch of kids hit their keys like robots.

But you're right that iNews is nice for a someone who doesn't already read feeds. Safari 2.0 also helps by putting the RSS icon in the address bar and it will open an external app if you have that registered to handle the "feed" url. (NetNewsWire will ask you when you run it if you want it to handle feed)

I was all ready to give iNews a longer trial until I realized it can't import feeds from an OPML file. I'm not going to move my 100+ feeds so iNews will have to wait until they implement importing (which they say is coming soon).

asdasd
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 02:59 PM

"Heh... I like your user id. It reminds me of my 9th grade typing teacher who would sit in the front of the room and shout "asdf"... "jklsem" while a bunch of kids hit their keys like robots."

It is not one i would chose now, but i am stuck with it - here and AI :-) I have 2 stars after all
( Last edited by asdasd; May 3, 2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling correction)

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 04:09 PM

on the same wave as opml importing just wished it had blogline support like netnewswire because I keep my feeds there so syncing between my computers is easier. also it needs a more mac os x like icon and maybe the bottom status bar to look like.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 07:46 PM

I wonder how long before they get sued over the name iNews. Avid makes a program we use at the TV station I work at called iNews as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules