Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did something stupid! Please help ...

Did something stupid! Please help ...
myrddin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 04:32 PM

First, sorry if there is already an answer to this question ...

When I got my iBook last year, it was my first experience with OS X.

In my naivity, I went and created sub-folders in the *main* Applications folder and moved a lot of apps into these various sub-folders. As I installed new apps, I installed [or moved] them into the appropriate sub-folders I had created.

Now wiser, I realise I *shouldn't have done this* as it will cause problems with os updates.

Now, to date, I haven't attempted to update my os from v 10.2.1 that was on my iBook when I bought it because of my stupidity!

I want to update to os 10.2.8 now. If I take all the applications from the sub-folders I created and return them loose into the Aplications folder, will that make os x happy again and enable me to update without too many problems?

Another option I am thinking of is to completely reformat my hd and boot from the original CDs that came with the iBook and then update to 10.2.8 from the stand-alone installer CD I made. Can I do this? Will the startup CDs work from a completely blank, formatted hd?

I look to your wisdom to help me out

TIA, David
eMac 1.25 ghz, 768 mb ram, OSX 10.4.3

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:38 PM

Moving the Applications back and then repairing permissions sounds like it should work ok. It should be a lot less painful than wiping your drive and starting from scratch.

myrddin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the swift reply, Turias.

So, my first option *should* work? I have to confess I am quite nervous of OS X still, after a year

Maybe will give it a go - what's the worst that can happen ?!?!

David

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by myrddin:
Thanks for the swift reply, Turias.

So, my first option *should* work? I have to confess I am quite nervous of OS X still, after a year

David
Nothing terrible. Just backup your important data (which you would have had to do anyway, with a clean install).

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by myrddin:

David
Well, if you are already toying with the idea of doing a clean install and then updating then I would say go for it (moving the apps back to their rightful place and updating). Sounds like you're prepared just in case something goes awry.

myrddin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 04:57 PM

Thanks Turias and cybergoober, your confidence has helped settle my nerves somewhat

I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks so will go for it then - need plenty of time as I need my iBook for work.

Many thanks,
David

porieux
Baninated
Apr 1, 2004, 06:32 PM

This is really stupid on Apple's part IMO.

If they don't want users moving certain applications, then they should make it impossible to do so.

If they are going to let users move them, then installers need to search for the moved apps.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
This is really stupid on Apple's part IMO.

If they don't want users moving certain applications, then they should make it impossible to do so.

If they are going to let users move them, then installers need to search for the moved apps.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
I'm fairly certain that under 10.2 and higher, it is safe to move applications around. The problem existed mainly with 10.1.

10.2's .pkg installers have a Find File feature that allows them to see where certain applications are located and then install the updates there.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 08:54 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of people having problems after Software Updates after moving apps from the Applications folder (or even into sub-folders of the Applications folder) under Panther�

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2004, 11:34 AM

The smartest advice anyone can give you is to upgrade to 10.3.3
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 12:10 PM

There's nothing stupid about what you've done, lots of people like to group their applications in folders.

I think the situation is that recent updates are smarter and will find a moved application but the situation doesn't seem to be 100% clear.

Probably a better long term solution is to use an application launcher like QuickSilver, LaunchBar or Butler so you don't need to worry about cluttering your Applications folder.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2004, 12:30 PM

In my experience with 10.3, the Software Update panel will not detect any updates for your applications if you have moved them. But when I upgraded from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3, the updater searched for applications (like Mail and Safari) and upgraded them successfully.

Forum Links
Forum Rules