Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod battery replacement....

ipod battery replacement....
action
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 04:08 PM

hi gang,

i have the 2nd gen 10gig ipod. the battery life went from 8 hours to 4 hours within the first year. it has maintained a 4 hour life for it's second year.

on a whim i purchased the newer tech 2100amh battery for the 1st and 2nd gen ipods.

the replacement took less then 5 minutes was very simple with the tools and instructions provided.

it has been on continuous play for over 16 hours now.

just a little heads up for anyone who wants to give their older ipods a boost.

chunglee

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 05:15 PM

That's great!

I have a question. How long does it take to charge the new battery?

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 06:05 PM

i haven't really paid attention to battery charge time on the original battery but it took about 40 minutes to charge the original battery to it's full 4 hour capacity.

the new battery i didn't really pay attention either but it significantly longer.

my best guestimate is about 2.5 hours.

with the new battery it takes so long to drain and recharge, it hasn't even gone through several recycles.

i will let the ipod drain and time it's next recharge and update this post.

chung lee

irishman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 02:31 AM

Ambulatory infusion devices such as insulin pumps(at least MiniMed-the largest American maker)recommends Energizer batteries. They decay more gradually allowing replacement w/o loss of function. They have proven durable and leak free. Hope this helps.

Irish

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by irishman:
Ambulatory infusion devices such as insulin pumps(at least MiniMed-the largest American maker)recommends Energizer batteries. They decay more gradually allowing replacement w/o loss of function. They have proven durable and leak free. Hope this helps.

Irish

whatever...

i was thinking of getting the replacement battery for my 3G, as it doesn't seem to be lasting as long as it should. so it wasn't that hard to pop that iPod open?

tr

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 02:57 PM

as far as recharging, it's a little confusing because the battery shows that it's constantly charging. before it used to say charged but now it shows the battery meter constantly charging.

i wonder if it's just me or if that's what happens with the new batteries. i looked on ipodlounge but found no answers.

as far as dissasembly, my 2nd gen 10gig was very simple. you use the supplied tool and separate the plastic clips from the metal back. once it's separated all the way around the metal just comes off.

however, after i separated the clips from the metal back the back did not come off like it was illustrated in the instructions. what they didn't mention is the metal back is additionally attached to the battery via tape. you have to use some force to pull the metal back with enough tention that it separates itself from the batter.

it feels like you are breaking something but you are not.

i looked the dissambly instructions for the 3rd gen and it is a little more complicated since the 3rd gen battery is under the harddrive instead of on top of the harddrive in the 2nd gen.

for the 2nd gen once the back metal cover is off you just replace the battery and snap everything back together.

the new battery is slightly thicker then the original battery so everything fits much tighter which i prefer.

seperating the two halves of the ipod is not hard. just a little finiky. it only took me minutes to actually replace this battery and put everything together.

chung lee

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 09:20 PM

I just got the Newer tech 3G battery for my iPod, and I'm going to install it next week. I'm glad the 2G was easy for you.

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I just got the Newer tech 3G battery for my iPod, and I'm going to install it next week. I'm glad the 2G was easy for you.
hey rozwado1, if you get the chance, tell us how the upgrade went. i'd like to hear you experience, since i'm thinking of the same battery upgrade.

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules