Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FastMac iMac Upgrades

FastMac iMac Upgrades
indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 10:33 PM

Well anyone used one I wouldn't mind the speed increase and the price is low, but they offer no instructions on their website. Is this a good idea or would a new macmini or emac be absolutely far superior?
Thanks, indigo

http://store.fastmac.com/product_inf...roducts_id=123
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 10:41 PM

A new (or refurb) eMac or Mac Mini would be far superior for many reasons beyond the chip (system bus, graphics card, USB 2.0, etc etc) but that does look awfully intriguing. $200 for a G4 slot loader. Not too shabby.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
A new (or refurb) eMac or Mac Mini would be far superior for many reasons beyond the chip (system bus, graphics card, USB 2.0, etc etc) but that does look awfully intriguing. $200 for a G4 slot loader. Not too shabby.
That's just for the G4 upgrade!

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 11:09 PM

what else do u need aside from that, when u consider the cost
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by indigoimac:
what else do u need aside from that, when u consider the cost
A faster G4 -- many of Apple's standard apps require/recommend a 600mhz - 1ghz processor. 550 would definitely be a nice upgrade from a G3, but it would be woefully slower than even the cheapest eMac. Except for Alti-vec optimized tasks (like converting to mp3), a 550mhz G4 will run a whole lot like a 550mhz G3 for most things.

The system bus on the mini/eMac is 67% faster than on the slot-loader. This is an important measure as it reflects the real speed at which data is shuttled between the machine's various subsystems. Raw processor speed isn't the whole story.

USB 2.0 - lots of USB peripherals these days really take advantage of the speed bump from 1.1.

Graphics. Many of the nifty graphical OS goodies simply will not work on the graphics card in the G3 iMac.

Any optical drive on an eMac or Mac Mini would be far faster and far more flexible than anything on a slot loading iMac.

Almost any monitor you get with a mini would be far nicer than the slot-loader. The eMac monitor IS ALREADY much nicer than the slot loader.

Regardless how reliable your iMac is .. its 5 years old, right ? However you slice it, a new machine will most likely last longer than 5 year old machine.

Your key phrase is when you consider the cost. Well, $200 definitely the cheapest solution ... but there are so many upgraded items in the mini or eMac package, you'd still probably get more bang for your buck buying one of them, IMHO. Believe me, I'm a huge advocate of slot-loading iMacs ... I have one sitting by my main machine right now and think its just one of the best all around machines ever made. But a simple upgrade to a 550 G4 would really be a tiny upgrade in comparison to a machine that is, what, 5 years newer ?

tr
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 09:12 AM

another company a while back (powerlogix?) offered the same type of upgrade, only they used a 700mhz G3, which was nice, because it hit that magical "600 mhz or above" processor requirement that a lot of apple software list. while i like this upgrade, since it uses a G4, 550mhz isn't going to do much; i wish they used a faster G4.

tr

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 09:54 AM

I was initially intrigued by this, but on further review, I'll hafta pass. My slot loader is a 600MHz G3. Seems like a 550MHz G4 upgrade isn't really an upgrade.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules