Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Battery replacement Qs

Battery replacement Qs
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 02:13 PM

I have an iPod mini whose battery is quicky going south and I have some questions regarding this.

First after googling and searching this foum, it seems apple charges around fifty bucks plus or minus 5 bucks plus S&H. You also have to live without the ipod for a few weeks.

The other option is to do it yourself and here are my questions.
1. I've looked at newertech and sonnet, both priced about the same. any issues of one over the other? it seems sonnet provides you with all of the tools but newertech only the screwdrivers.

2. The surgery, how difficult is it, and what risk of damaging the outer shell, or the inner guts

3. After looking at various sites that describes the steps it doesn't seem all that difficult but I cannot be sure, any feedback on the whole experience.

That should do it.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 08:07 AM

Nobody has any info or experience on newertech or sonnet for their battery replacements?

nsfbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 11:13 PM

I just replaced the battery on my daughter's mini. It was amazingly simple and straightforward.

Two things to note: 1) Rather than use the recommended flathead jeweler's screwdriver to pluck off the end plates, use a utility razor blade. It is thinner and makes it easier to get them off cleanly. 2) The battery I got was a no name that was higher in capacity than the original. It wound up being a bit bigger than the original too. It was a tight fit going back in. Not a problem, but you need to use care in sliding it back in.

It took less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

tr
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 11:21 PM

i replaced the battery in my girlfriend's iPod mini, got a NewerTech at OWC:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/BIPOD600MM/

1. the newertech says it comes with tools, but as you noted, it comes with a metal screwdriver. and, if you use it to try to take off the plastic bottom and top, you'll run the risk of damaging it. OWC does have a video showing how to go about the installation process, which i watched. it helped a lot.

2/3. watch the video for installing in the mini from OWC first:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/...stall-service/
then you can decide if you're up to it. i was a bit hesitant at first, not because of what's involved (i'm pretty much comfortable doing any electronic stuff, i do it at work all the time), just because the mini is pretty tight (the bottom and top caps), and it wasn't really my own iPod, but my girlfriend's, so if i screw up...but after watching the video, i felt pretty confident. it really wasn't that hard.

my advice: work carefully, take your time, and don't force things. the only really tricky part is the top and bottom. once those are off, everything just slides out. the battery works great, and my girlfriend was getting great battery life. i say "was" because a month later, she bought a new 60gb iPod in black. all that work for nothing.

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules