Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Zunes not selling even at 30% off.

Zunes not selling even at 30% off. (Page 2)
seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 14, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
What's a Zune?
The brown present you leave to the toilet fairy every morning.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
What's a Zune?
BZZZZZT!

That answer is INcorrect.

The answer we were looking for is "What is the Pope?"

Too bad, better luck next time!

On to the next round...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 08:13 PM

microsoft's products all suck. the fact they are almost always subsidized doesnt make them good products. The fact that they might have some market success, doesnt make them good products either.

reliability, durability, quality and ease-of-use are all subpar to their nearest competitors. but that doesnt matter, cause its not about good products, it's about business.

Steve:We're better than you are, we have bettr stuff.
Bill: You don't get it Steve. that doesnt matter.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
microsoft's products all suck. the fact they are almost always subsidized doesnt make them good products. The fact that they might have some market success, doesnt make them good products either.
I disagree. Some of their products are pretty good. Their peripheral devices, for example, are generally among the best. The Xbox 360 is basically good, though apparently they ****ed up QA somewhere along the line.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 10:25 PM

"The only problem with Microsoft is, they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste.... and what they means is..... I dont mean that in a small way, i mean that in a big way. In the sence that they dont think of original ideas and they dont bring much culture into their products. You say, 'well why is that important?'...well ...proportionally spaced fonts come from type setting n beautiful books...thats where one gets the idea. If it wernt for the Mac they would never have it in their products. And so i guess, i am saddened, not by Microsoft's success, i have no problem with their success...they've earned their success.... for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third rate products." - Steve Jobs

YouTube - Re: Microsoft CEO Ballmer laughs at Apple iPhone

It is my humble opinion that their "good" products are at the most "adequate"..."average".... thats it, they havent made(as opposed to baught through a corporate takeover or just blatantly copied) anything that i cant find from another company. The fact that i use some of their products doesnt come from me wanting to use them, but rather because i have no other choice, which is more often than not, due to anti-competitive behaviour on their part.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 15, 2007 at 12:17 AM. )

post_break
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 11:30 PM

I must admit, I like the interface but long for the simple click wheel. The zune offers the customizibility I long for in the ipod, other than that its just another music player.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Microsoft has a poor track record when it comes to hardware, lets hope their poor design continues. ...
They made a great memory expansion board for the IBM-PC back about 1985 or so. Their mice are pretty decent (although they design most of them for right-handers).

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 11:52 AM

Microsoft does make nice Keyboards and Mice, but otherwise, their products are very average.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
The problem is... Microsoft tried to copy the iPod, when in reality... they needed to copy the entire concept from the ground up. The iPod is NOTHING without iTunes. The iTunes -> Computer -> iPod relationship is paramount. Until Microsoft releases a REALLY cool iTunes contender for the Zune... Apple shouldn't be all that worried.
Alternatively, if they released a technically fantastic media player (a Zune v2 with all the problems fixed, and good new features or something) that could seamlessly replace the iPod in the iTunes -> Computer -> iPod relationship, that could also work. The iPod is the most easily replaceable component in that system. People already have their computers, and aren't likely going to replace them. People already have their music management system, it's most likely iTunes, and it would be a huge PITA to replace that. People already have their iPods, but they break, wear out, get old, a better one comes out, whatever, and they replace them all the time.

I like iTunes. I'm not going to stop using it. I would, however, be very willing to consider buying a Zune (or any other media player) if it seamlessly integrated with iTunes on my Mac. That iTunes integration is the only reason I'd get an iPod over any other media player right now.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
When I was the CompUSA liquidation sale, they had Zunes and accessories for 30% off. The shelf was practically untoched. One lady was on her cell phone taking a picture of it, then talked on the phone, then asked the sales clerk if they still had any iPods left. Clerk said they were all out, then she left.

Even at 30% off they don't sell. If only I had a camera, I woulda taken a picture of it. The entire store was practically gutted, except for the Zune shelf.
They are hideously ugly. I was in Walmart yesterday and was just browsing their electronics. They had a Zune case, just as nice as the iPod case (albeit on a side aisle) and they are just butt ugly. Big, brown and boxy.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Alternatively, if they released a technically fantastic media player (a Zune v2 with all the problems fixed, and good new features or something) that could seamlessly replace the iPod in the iTunes -> Computer -> iPod relationship, that could also work. The iPod is the most easily replaceable component in that system. People already have their computers, and aren't likely going to replace them. People already have their music management system, it's most likely iTunes, and it would be a huge PITA to replace that. People already have their iPods, but they break, wear out, get old, a better one comes out, whatever, and they replace them all the time.

I like iTunes. I'm not going to stop using it. I would, however, be very willing to consider buying a Zune (or any other media player) if it seamlessly integrated with iTunes on my Mac. That iTunes integration is the only reason I'd get an iPod over any other media player right now.
It would be way too easy for Apple to wreck your **** with an iPod update. The easiest component to replace is iTunes.
Chuck
___

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2007, 01:51 PM

Agreed. iTunes is the only reason for me to buy an iPod. I really like the integration, but if something else (iRiver, etc.) integrated easily, I'd surely consider one.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It would be way too easy for Apple to wreck your **** with an iPod update. The easiest component to replace is iTunes.
How's that? Why would an iPod update have any effect on anything other than an iPod.

Yes, they could change the way that iTunes works and break compatibility with third-party players, but I'm assuming that if we were to start seeing non-iPod players be compatible with iTunes it would be because Apple released an API to allow (at least limited) integration with iTunes for other players. It's not something that I'd expect would happen without Apple's consent.

I suppose I'd be willing to replace iTunes as long as the replacement software offered: smart playlists, nested folders for playlists, a syncing interface for media players that's at least as good as iTunes (probably wouldn't be too hard, I suppose, as long as you're using a player that has drag and drop music management), the ability to import my iTunes library and playlists, and the ability to connect with the speakers I already have set up in other rooms with AirTunes (without me needing to buy any new hardware). It would be nice if it could play FLAC and OGG file as well. Some sort of better system for managing multiple users' music in one library would be nice as well, or the ability to manage your music and playlists from a different computer (so music sharing that lets you actually make changes and stuff).
( Last edited by nonhuman; Apr 15, 2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: I meant FLAC, not LAME...)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
How's that? Why would an iPod update have any effect on anything other than an iPod.

Yes, they could change the way that iTunes works and break compatibility with third-party players, but I'm assuming that if we were to start seeing non-iPod players be compatible with iTunes it would be because Apple released an API to allow (at least limited) integration with iTunes for other players. It's not something that I'd expect would happen without Apple's consent.
Ah, I thought you were suggesting somebody should spoof an iPod.
Chuck
___

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ah, I thought you were suggesting somebody should spoof an iPod.
Ah, no. Not at all.

Actually, I don't know much about iTunes plugins, but maybe someone could write one could allow syncing between iTunes and a drag and drop based player that had a decent interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules