Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Garageband Performance Problems?

Garageband Performance Problems?
midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 04:58 PM

Hi all.

I discovered last night that GB *chokes* with 5 tracks (4 real instruments+1 drum loop) on my machine (G4/533, 384 RAM). It gives me an error claiming that my hard drives aren't fast enough.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers
Scott

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 09:49 PM

I have received that warning as well. It happens when one is trying to play too many tracks at the same time (although my limit seems to be 8 if I counted correctly - iMac Flatpanel G4 700). I guess the limit varies from comp to comp with what components you have and what else is going on at the time.

My biggest problem with GrajBand performance is that it uses ~20% CPU time even while doing nothing in the background. That, and it feels very sluggish, even while editing or moving around notes and tracks. In terms of performance, GrajBand feels a lot like iCal 1.0 (and the track stuff looks a lot like it too). Undoubtedly updates will address these issues.

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
I have received that warning as well. It happens when one is trying to play too many tracks at the same time (although my limit seems to be 8 if I counted correctly - iMac Flatpanel G4 700). I guess the limit varies from comp to comp with what components you have and what else is going on at the time.

My biggest problem with GrajBand performance is that it uses ~20% CPU time even while doing nothing in the background. That, and it feels very sluggish, even while editing or moving around notes and tracks. In terms of performance, GrajBand feels a lot like iCal 1.0 (and the track stuff looks a lot like it too). Undoubtedly updates will address these issues.
That makes sense. I had assumed that this was a processor overload issue; it's just that it seems a little, um, light of a load for the app to start complaining. I'm hopeful, too, that updates will address some of these issues. But for now, I'll start pricing G4/1.2 ghz upgrades....

ambush
Banned
Jan 18, 2004, 10:43 PM

well

it's computing complex sounds, what do you expect?

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2007, 09:29 AM

I have a similar issue that I hope someone can help me with. I regularly record podcasts for the college where I work. I notice that often when recording it often tells me (It gives me an error claiming that my hard drives aren't fast enough... or something along those lines).

SETUP:
Intel 2.16Ghz C2D 17"
2GBs
(faster hard drive than the stock version .. .forget which one)
Nothing else running

Same thing happens on our brand new Quad-core Xeon powered desktop (top specs) and 4Gbs of RAM.

Thoughts?
It has also given me

Forum Links
Forum Rules