Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Someone using my computer? Safari says so.

Someone using my computer? Safari says so.
dishinki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 07:58 PM

I was logging into one of the gambling sites I play at today via Safari and noticed something very disturbing. In the ID box I was typing my login name and, as usual, a drop box comes down showing my usual log-in name (and a few of the mistyped ones I have done) but also a brand new name! This was definitely someone else's ID and the only way I can see this happening is if someone actually sat down at my computer and tried to log-in into this site with their ID. I google'd this ID and found it to be a women, aged 36 who lives, or has lived recently, about 300 miles away in Chicago. She is also a lesbian seeking some female companionship (Google OWNS) and is a poker player that plays on mac only sites.
What the heck?

By the way, I do leave my computer on with extremely limited security. How could her handle come onto my computer aside from her physically getting into my room and typing it?

Rorzabal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 08:21 PM

It is a bit of a stretch, but I've seen it happen on my IIS machines at work -- another session ID got crossed with your session ID on the server side, and it fed you a cookie that wasn't truly yours (server error).

Other than having physical access, that's the only way I can imagine it happening.

... kind of spooky.

Rorzabal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 08:26 PM

This is probably way more information than you want to know, but here is a link that describes the problem on Windows IIS servers:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...AppFollies/#S2

Scroll down to the section titled "Sessions and Output Caching".

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 11:08 PM

Assuming the drop-down is local (cached by Firefox/Safari), and not some AJAX from the server, the cookie confusion doesn't explain it. The only way to add entries to those is to type them in the box.

Rorzabal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Assuming the drop-down is local (cached by Firefox/Safari), and not some AJAX from the server, the cookie confusion doesn't explain it. The only way to add entries to those is to type them in the box.
I agree... usually these are kept locally (at least with IE, which I'm unfortunate to code for on a daily basis). That's what makes it odd. I honestly don't know how Safari handles its drop-down pre-population (or rather, how the drop-down gets populated in the first place). I'm a recent swither, only been using Safari for about 6 weeks now.

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 12:43 AM

this may seem obvious, but can we truly rule out that she didn't sneak into your room? like, are you sure this person, or any person for that matter, has not used your computer? i'm just saying, you know. check your closet, or under your bed to be sure.

tr

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 13, 2007, 08:59 AM

Maybe you're using HER computer! Think about it.

Next thing you know she'll be posting on some forum that she sat down at her computer and as she was typing her ID, someone else's ID popped up.

Come on, man. Try a little harder. I mean, I love spooky stories but this one isn't doing it for me. You could try to change the story a little, like, "This was definitely someone else's ID and the only way I can see this happening is if someone actually sat down at my computer and tried to log-in into this site with their ID. Then, as swiveled my chair around, I see this lady staring at me from the darkest corner of the room. She had a hook for a hand and had a white, blood-spattered apron on. The lights in the room flickered a few times and then...it was total darkness"
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Aug 13, 2007 at 09:06 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2007, 08:59 AM

Don't panic, put a sticker over your webcam and check remote desktop is disabled in the sharing control panel, when she see's you going for the control panel she will go for the terminal.app to destroy everything, wrestle the cursor away from her and disable remote desktop, after this is done change your password.

If she manages to get the terminal open unplug the computer immediately and restart with the shift key held down, then disable remote desktop.

Check in your attic too.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 07:08 AM

Do you live in an apartment or recently bought your house? The former owners might still be living in there somewhere...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 09:52 PM

Ghosts.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2007, 10:44 PM

A Mac-using, lesbian, single, poker-playing stalker? What's not to like?

Forum Links
Forum Rules