Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to get the 21st century talking to the 20th?

How to get the 21st century talking to the 20th?
Thorzdad
Mar 21, 2014, 06:51 PM

Here's the problem...
How can I play the music on my iMac on my decidedly 20th century home audio gear? Or, is it even possible?

On the high-tech side:
• Late '09 iMac running 10.6.8
• 4th gen Airport Extreme

On the low-tech side:
• A mid-70's Pioneer receiver. Nothin' but RCA inputs, but still sweet-sounding.

How might an enterprising fella get music from the iMac over to the receiver? Wirelessly. I'm pretty sure the Airport Extreme is out of the picture, since it doesn't do Airplay. The iMac can broadcast its own temporary network, and I'm wondering if there's some sort of way to bodge something together that way. Would hooking an Airport Express to the receiver (using the audio-out from the AE) accomplish this?

Any help will be appreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2014, 07:49 PM

Yes, buy a used Airport Express and get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Even the old generation ("wall wart") will do.

I'm using two Airport Expresses just for audio transmission to active speakers.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2014, 09:17 AM

I have a Sony 1990s vintage amp that's still great, though it lacks HDMI inputs that would be handy. My AirPort Express is plugged into the Aux input via a mini-stereo plut-to-RCA male white/red pigtail. Works great, sounds great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Mar 22, 2014, 10:51 AM

Airport Express is probably the easiest answer, but please note that modern low-end receivers are pretty effing good. Recently replaced an Onkyo 606 with a dead HDMI board with a Yamaha RX-V375 that cost about half of what the Onkyo did new. I'm very impressed with it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 24, 2014, 08:05 AM

Yeah, but the sx-650 is still running well and looks so classic.
Found a refurb 2012 Airport Express in the Apple Store, so I burned part of a gift card that I'd been sitting on and snagged it.

Thanks!

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 29, 2014, 03:01 PM

So, my AirportExpress arrived today, and I immediately tried to get it set-up. This has turned into a frustrating afternoon of beating my head on a wall.

I'm trying to follow the setup instruction found on this page. For what I'm trying to do (play my iTunes music on my home stereo) I'm assuming I should be following the Connecting to an existing Wi-Fi network, exclusively for iTunes music instructions found half-way down the page. Sooo...
1. Connect AExpress to stereo. Check.
2. Select wireless network. Check (assuming this means the network the AExpress is broadcasting.)
3. Open iTunes on your computer and choose the AirPort Express(es) you wish to stream music through from the speakers pop-up menu in the lower-right corner of the iTunes window. Um...There is no Speakers pop-up in the lower right corner. There IS a new icon up by the Volume control in the top left. Clicking on it I get a choice between my iMac and the AExpress (Base Station 4054e0). I select the AExpress. iTunes thinks about it, then returns the following error:
The AirPlay device “Base Station 4054e0” cannot be found on your network. Please verify your network settings and AirPlay configuration or select another device.
???

FWIW, the AExpress status light has been blinking yellow all this time. So, I went to this page to look deeper into setting up Client Mode. I open Airport Utility (5.6.1) and the new AirportExpress shows up in the sidebar, along with my AirportExtreme. Following the instruction, I select the AExpress and select Restore Default Settings. AU thinks a bit and then asks for the AirportExpress's password. Whaaa??? I never set a password for this thing. After some Googling, I try a soft reset using the button on the back of the AExpress. Same result...asks for a password. Next, I try a hard reset. Same thing, asks for a password.

So, now what? I'm sure this can't be this difficult to do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 04:24 PM

I would start with a factory default (hard) reset.

Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ

Next, I usually set up the AE by connecting it via Ethernet to my computer.

-t

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 29, 2014, 04:38 PM

I already tried the hard reset. Guess I'll try the ethernet connection.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 29, 2014, 05:39 PM

Using Ethernet did the trick!
Many thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 06:07 PM

Cool. Enjoy the new music experience.

Btw, in case you want to stream system audio through AirPlay, OPTION + click on the sound icon in the menu bar:

Stream All Mac System Audio Over AirPlay in OS X Mountain Lion

If you need more options, AirFoil is a great app:

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

-t

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 29, 2014, 06:44 PM

Sadly, I'm a SL holdout.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2014, 06:57 PM

Get AirFoil. AirFoil 4.7.6 still supports OS X 10.6
(Current version is 4.8.6, so you're really not that far behind.)

Rogue Amoeba | Legacy Software

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules