Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Media Server: How Are You Streaming AVI?

Media Server: How Are You Streaming AVI?
doolally
May 14, 2008, 07:11 AM

Hilo,

I'm not certain which forum this should live it - Mac Mini, Apple TV, or maybe somewhere else - so I threw a dart at my monitor and this is where it landed.

I'm wondering what people are using to stream DivX compressed AVI files to their televisions? After a few hours trolling the intertubes yesterday I'm convinced that Apple TV2 won't do it (at least not without some warranty-voiding fiddling) and my wife is sick to death of burning DVDs for the 2-3 TV shows a week she pulls in from bit torrent.

Is there a simple solution using a Mac Mini? Or some other piece of technological chicanery that I'm not aware of?

We've been toying with Connect 360 to stream the files to our Xbox, but the support seems spotty. Every now and then the Xbox stops seeing the files, for reasons that are beyond our ken.

All advice and insights are welcome, no matter how unusual.

advTHANKSance
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 14, 2008, 10:24 AM

I bought a apple tv and love it. I convert all my movies with handbreak. AND i can stream all my photos too. Its nice to have friends watch my photos on my 50 inch tv instead of on a laptop or computer. I got the 40 gig since I only stream. Just able to do photos was worth it. Others have popped up recently that might do divx. What kind of tv are you using? Might just want to hook the mini to the tv and use it as a monitor.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 11:28 AM

I have a Mac mini hooked up to my projector over DVI. I play AVIs (and all my other video files) with VLC. I also stream them over my wireless network with just regular AFP. Works fine.

doolally  (op)
May 14, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
What kind of tv are you using? Might just want to hook the mini to the tv and use it as a monitor.
/smacks forehead

Of course! We have an HD TV with DVI. I was looking at this problem so hard this didn't even occur to me.

Thanks muchly!
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Chaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 08:31 PM

I Stream .avi and Divx files via EyeConnect by Elgato to my PS3.

It's not a bad setup at all except the PS3 does not appear to want to play with my .264 files.

Nivag
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 07:57 AM

I've got a G5 plugged into my TV, over the top, but it was free.

I then use iPhone Remote 0.9.21 - MacUpdate to launch the files and the web interface in VLC to control what's playing all via my iPod touch.

I would rather have a mini doing this with the bonus of the remote, but that means buying one.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:00 AM

I just convert everything to h.264.

Forum Links
Forum Rules