Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Radeon X800 XT in Power Mac G5 1.6ghz?

Radeon X800 XT in Power Mac G5 1.6ghz?
chibianh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 10:35 AM

Hey fellers. I currently have a Power mac 1.6 with a radeon 9800 pro. Just wanted to get some advice on whether I should get an X800 XT. Mostly, my main concern is whether my lowly 1.6ghz G5 system can fully take advantage of the X800 and not be a bottleneck.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 14, 2005, 10:47 AM

I think it'd be tons faster for gaming. G4 systems with an X800 can play doom3 reasonably well, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Abit667
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 11:34 PM

I'd keep the 9800pro unless you have a bunch of money you just have to spend. The difference between the two isn't really that great. Your G5 1.6 should be pretty good for a while as well. I'd save the upgrade for when you get a whole new machine.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 11:52 PM

If you do decide to get an x800, do a little searching around here, xlr8yourmac.com, etc., about the latest driver/ROM update. There's been some problems, but a new ROM update just came out that supposedly fixes them.

chibianh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Abit667
I'd keep the 9800pro unless you have a bunch of money you just have to spend. The difference between the two isn't really that great. Your G5 1.6 should be pretty good for a while as well. I'd save the upgrade for when you get a whole new machine.
the differences between an x800 XT and 9800pro aren't that great? Anyways, i'm going to go find some benchmarks and do some more research before deciding whether I should upgrade or not. Thanks for the responses.

Burke
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 12:45 PM

Isn't the X800XT for the newer G5 Macs only?

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

What a ton of misinformation in this thread!!!

Originally Posted by powertrippin
I think it'd be tons faster for gaming. G4 systems with an X800 can play doom3 reasonably well, so I wouldn't worry about it.
A G4 system can't use the Radeon X800XT Mac Edition as it requires an 8x AGP Pro slot. Only Power Mac G5's can use it.

Originally Posted by powertrippin
The Radeon X800XT Mac Edition is generally twice as fast as the Radeon 9800 Pro and is about $100 cheaper than the Geforce 6800 Ultra.

I would suggest that if you are into alot of 3D games or 3D applications that the card is worth getting, even for a Power Mac G5 1.6. The Power Mac G5 1.6 has a decent system architecture and an 800Mhz front-side bus. The card should add another addition life to your computer.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
What a ton of misinformation in this thread!!!

A G4 system can't use the Radeon X800XT Mac Edition as it requires an 8x AGP Pro slot. Only Power Mac G5's can use it.
Actually you're wrong on that. Looks like you need to start reading up on Xlryourmac and stuff. Someone used a FireGL or something or other, which is basically an X800 with a modified ROM in order to get it to work. It made doom 3 playable on a G4 system.

http://www.barefeats.com/firegl.html

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=249497

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=122630

So yeah, it wasn't misinformation, it was something you didn't know about.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 03:43 PM

I did qualify my email by saying "Mac Edition" as the user is obviously talking about the Radeon X800XT Mac Edition, so I'm not wrong.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

powertrippin
Baninated
May 16, 2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard
I did qualify my email by saying "Mac Edition" as the user is obviously talking about the Radeon X800XT Mac Edition, so I'm not wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules