Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein

The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein (Page 4)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 07:03 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/scott...ealand-2017-10

This one is great because of the added flavor of a possible diplomatic incident. Apparently he was one of the legion at Fox who got accused, too.

andi*pandi
Oct 26, 2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
et tu Ellen?
Pretty sure she and Katy are friends, making an in joke. Until Katy Perry comes out saying that Ellen assaulted her, it's not the same thing and you know it.

There will still be comedians making rude/silly jokes. There are much worse out there. However, it is not the same as someone in power expecting to get away with sexual assault because they hold your paycheck in their hands.

False equivalency.
Deflect Deflect.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
it's not the same thing and you know it.
I'm not sure he does. But he knows he doesn't know.

By which I means there are things he posts as joke rebuttals, that he posts because he knows they will piss people off, but he doesn't understand why they aren't really rebuttals.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2017, 11:06 PM

et tu Ellen?
You clearly don't understand what this issue is about. You're not impressing me with your grasp on morals.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2017, 06:19 AM

Clearly

Ellen DeGeneres was labeled 'Ellen Weinstein' by Twitter users who criticized her birthday regards to Katy Perry - which included a snapshot of the talk show host staring into pop star's cleavage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4whc4vLsY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2017, 07:36 AM

Agreeing with Piers Morgan is rarely the way to go.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2017, 11:09 AM

Wapo has an article on what it takes to persue a harassment claim if you work in congress. My eyes glazed over it's so tedious

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 09:24 AM

Down goes Spacey, who tried to deflect by finally 'coming out'

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2017, 11:38 AM

Can't say I'm surprised by either revelation.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 11:50 AM

I didn't th No he molested teens. Gay was in the I know you know I know so it goes unsaid zone

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2017, 12:14 PM

I always got a serious skeevy vibe from him.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I always got a serious skeevy vibe from him.
Well in this case your instincts were right

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2017, 01:16 PM

It was probably how effectively he portrays horribly defective people, which isn't necessarily the best thing to go on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 01:24 PM

Eh, sometimes a person is best in roles that reflect themselves

andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2017, 01:28 PM

John Malkovich is creepy AF. Start the investigation?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2017, 01:42 PM

John Malkovich is creepy AF. Start the investigation?
Malkovich is creepy because he's crazy. Spacey is creepy because he's slimy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 01:59 PM

Busey plays himself in almost everything

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2017, 05:37 PM

Once someone gets a head injury, all bets are off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2017, 05:46 PM

Lethal Weapon predates that, but point taken.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 30, 2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Down goes Spacey, who tried to deflect by finally 'coming out'
From 5 months ago

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2017, 11:46 PM

Spacey is an interesting one. I can see why he would have come out at the same time. Apologising for sexually assaulting a young man/boy when people think you're a straight man and you aren't begs some clarification. I feel like if he'd come out in a separate tweet straight away afterwards, people would be less angry with him.

There have been a number of these incidents lately where your take is down to how skeptical you are of an individual. If you assume from the allegation that its 100% true and that Spacey knew exactly what he was doing and exactly how old the boy was and is therefore a monster, you're not going to give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he is trying to deflect to garner sympathy. On the other hand if you believe he was drunk, didn't realise the boys age and simply clarified his position so people didn't have to come back and ask about that as well, then maybe mentioning it wasn't so awful. In most cases its going to boil down to whether you like Spacey or not in the first place.

Worst of all, virtually no-one seems to consider the variables like this and instead they just react. Sad for a supposedly intelligent species.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2017, 01:05 AM

In this case, he eliminates those variables himself by alluding to other incidents.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2017, 02:13 AM

I must have missed that bit.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 AM

Andy Dick has been fire from an Indy production for groping and other acts.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ram...claims-1053162
Though the 51-year-old actor denies he groped anyone, he does admit to other inappropriate behavior: "I might have kissed somebody on the cheek to say goodbye and then licked them. That's my thing."
Andy Dick has been dropped from the independent feature film Raising Buchanan following accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct on set.

The Hollywood Reporter was not able to reach any of the alleged victims, however, two sources detailed Dick’s inappropriate behavior, which included groping people’s genitals, unwanted kissing/licking and sexual propositions of at least four members of the production. It’s unclear if those involved were actors or crew.
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 31, 2017, 11:33 AM

I feel like we need a chart to separate inappropriate touching from licking (ew) from the even worse things. Adam sandler put his hand on someones knee on the Graham Norton show and caught flak for it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You clearly don't understand what this issue is about. You're not impressing me with your grasp on morals.
34+years of sexual harassment/ethics classes sinks into your head
The first class was when the company I work for was part of Motorola. The instructor was a woman from Motorola University. The course included several video vignettes. One vignette featured a maintenance tech complaining about the new female tech that was hired. She filed a complaint about a bathing suit calendar in one of the tech's work cube, only visible by going into the cube, and he had to take it down.

I raised my hand and asked the instructor about the woman who ran the stockroom for the glass shop. I informed her about the life size Chippendales poster she had on her door.
This was the exchange that followed: "It's in her personal work area"--"So was the calendar" "You can't see it unless you enter the stockroom"--"actually, unlike the calendar, you can see the poster as you walk down the hallway" "Well it's different because she's a......" she stopped herself from completing the sentence.
When I transferred to a different plant, I had to attend the same class, same videos. This time the instructor was male. I related the exchange I had with the previous instructor and how she almost said it was different because she was a woman. He said that was wrong, and wanted to know her name.

We were told that anyone can report harassment, even if they are not a party. I knew that even before the class.
When I became lead operator, there were several woman who were PO'd because they didn't get the job. I had to watch by back at all times. One night, one of the women running the aligners told me "my shoulders hurt, can you rub the for me?" I politely said no, maybe she could get one of the other ladies to do it. If a had been dumb enough to, I would have been in HR the next day.

It's got to the point where you can't compliment someone because they may take you to HR.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 31, 2017, 05:49 PM

I feel like we need a chart to separate inappropriate touching from licking (ew) from the even worse things. Adam sandler put his hand on someones knee on the Graham Norton show and caught flak for it.
If you want to see Andy Dick making someone uncomfortable, watch the roast of Pamela Anderson. She's clearly not into it.

It's got to the point where you can't compliment someone because they may take you to HR.
Why do you think that is? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2017, 06:39 PM

Granted, I have not worked in America for over 11 years, but I've worked in very mixed-sex environments my entire career. I've never felt the need to alter my behaviour, language, or attitudes or been concerned about being hauled in front of HR for an innocent action or compliment. I just act like a respectful professional, no matter if the person I'm interacting with is male, female, straight, gay, minority, disabled, etc.

It's odd. It only seems to be conservatives who have these worries.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2017, 06:50 AM

Andy Dick has been fire from an Indy production for groping and other acts.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ram...claims-1053162
I demand a "down goes Dick".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2017, 10:01 AM

More allegations about Spacey and House of Cards stopped mid production.
Brett Ratner is on the list now too, half a dozen accusers. WTF is wrong with people?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2017, 10:14 AM

Power corrupts? In a land where potential employees skew towards young desperate attractive women?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2017, 12:11 PM

45/47

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2017, 12:32 PM

You read her whole article, and have to see how this permeates everything, from the high school boys who think it's ok to corner you in the hallway, to the mixed feelings about people you revere being jackasses to you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2017, 12:55 PM

To producers who would fire you for telling the celebrity you object

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2017, 01:53 PM

Power corrupts? In a land where potential employees skew towards young desperate attractive women?
Yeah I guess but if there are plenty throwing themselves at you why go around traumatising the ones that don't?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2017, 01:54 PM

So maybe casting agent should be a women only job? At least until the men can learn to behave.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
So maybe casting agent should be a women only job? At least until the men can learn to behave.
Are you Mike Pence?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Granted, I have not worked in America for over 11 years, but I've worked in very mixed-sex environments my entire career. I've never felt the need to alter my behaviour, language, or attitudes or been concerned about being hauled in front of HR for an innocent action or compliment. I just act like a respectful professional, no matter if the person I'm interacting with is male, female, straight, gay, minority, disabled, etc.

It's odd. It only seems to be conservatives who have these worries.
Because the democrats doing this type of thing think their party won't turn on them? I mean, you started great with your statement - that's how everyone should act. Then you undid that by saying somehow this is a conservative problem in the midst of a very left-leaning hollywood community pretty much eating itself alive with all of these high-profile far-left stars being brought down by multiple reports of sexual assault and an environment that suppressed the victims' ability to report it for fear of their careers.

Seems to me like this problem isn't a partisan one, even amidst your attempts to paint it as one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2017, 04:09 PM

Yeah I guess but if there are plenty throwing themselves at you why go around traumatising the ones that don't?
Entitlement. It starts with a bunch of women throwing themselves at you for a job. Then you think, I could sleep with a few more if I proposition them. After that you realize you can intimidate another swath into fulfilling your desires. Finally you've gotten away with so much you just take what you want from the rest.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Because the democrats doing this type of thing think their party won't turn on them? I mean, you started great with your statement - that's how everyone should act. Then you undid that by saying somehow this is a conservative problem in the midst of a very left-leaning hollywood community pretty much eating itself alive with all of these high-profile far-left stars being brought down by multiple reports of sexual assault and an environment that suppressed the victims' ability to report it for fear of their careers.

Seems to me like this problem isn't a partisan one, even amidst your attempts to paint it as one.
No, I'm saying I don't hear the 'left-leaning' members of this board worrying about their innocent behaviour leading to a visit to HR in the way Chongo did above and as the departed Captain did on a regular basis.

I'm not saying that harassment is a left or right issue. There are horrible letches on the left as well as the right. In entertainment, business, politics, clergy, and academia.

The whole paranoia that one will be hauled before the judge because they told a co-worker their hair looked nice today is on the same level of mania that leads people to think there is a war on Christmas.

I'm not talking about actual wrong-doers, I'm talking about over-recation to the idea that all people should be treated with dignity and respect.
( Last edited by Paco500; Nov 2, 2017 at 05:12 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2017, 11:08 PM

Entitlement. It starts with a bunch of women throwing themselves at you for a job. Then you think, I could sleep with a few more if I proposition them. After that you realize you can intimidate another swath into fulfilling your desires. Finally you've gotten away with so much you just take what you want from the rest.
I was thinking it might be a case of wanting the ones you can't have because they aren't throwing themselves at you.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2017, 11:09 PM

Are you Mike Pence?
Ouch.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 09:45 PM

Did anyone ever see the movie Swimming with Sharks?

In retrospect, Spacey is playing Harvey Weinstein, and good God is he enjoying himself doing it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 09:47 PM

The recurring line from that movie...

"You've got to give action to get action."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2017, 11:05 PM

I was thinking it might be a case of wanting the ones you can't have because they aren't throwing themselves at you.
Some people would argue that's it's not about sex, it's about power. Women (or men) throwing themselves out there may satisfy a need for sex, but not the power rush gained from a conquest.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 03:52 PM

Best pick to host the Oscars™ so far?

Chris Hansen.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 10:33 PM

Came across this statement from the production company behind House of Cards.

"As the producer of the show, creating and maintaining a safe working environment for our cast and crew has always been our top priority."

Okay, umm... I'm not going to say you guys didn't care, but this was your number one priority is one of the most ridiculous crocks of shit I've ever heard.

It's around tenth priority on sets where people aren't being assaulted by the lead.

Go **** yourselves.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2017, 10:59 PM

Seems a strong reaction for some fairly standard spin.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2017, 11:04 PM

There are harassment and assault allegations flying thick and fast around Westminster now too. MPs and party members being suspended and investigated. Our defence secretary went the other day and two or three more have come to light since. This could get really messy. I really hope it changes some things.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 11:42 PM

Seems a strong reaction for some fairly standard spin.
Because it's suuuuch a crock of shit.

Again, spin it to say it's an important priority and I wouldn't say a word.

That it's their top priority? In ****in showbusiness?

Forum Links
Forum Rules