Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 101 Uses for a Macintosh Classic

101 Uses for a Macintosh Classic
Jack Sparks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 01:18 AM

So on a lark my friend bought be an old Mac Classic for the holidays. I've finaly gotten it home and frankly I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it. I kinda want it to do something usefull, but I'm not sure what (other than the obligatory Aquarium). So I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the mac elite for help.

What should I do with my Macintosh Classic?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thx,

Jack

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 12:54 PM

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 11:08 AM

it might make a good ashtray....

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 12:30 AM

Does it work properly? Play with it a bit. You will find that it is surprisingly usable.

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 11:41 PM

you can run irc or icq on it while gaming on another comp.

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 14, 2004, 03:03 AM

Turn it into a project, kind of like restoring and old car. Get a suite of programs on it and marvel at how far we've gone since then. Anyone remember when Apple decided to combine Font mover and DA mover to Font/DA mover? Or marvel at the wonder that was the MultiFinder?
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

yoesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 05:57 PM

sys 6.0.8 or 7.0.1 (or 7.1) are probably what you're best bets are in terms of System software.

As for uses? -- try it out, you might be surprised. I found that a basic mac could still help me accomplish 90+% of what i *need* to do (word processing, spreadsheets, graphing, email, etc). MS Word 4 or 5 (5.1a was the best), WriteNow 3 or 4, CricketGraph, MacDraw, MacPaint, etc...plus lots of classic games (lode runner, risk, glider) run very well on an 8 or 16 Hz chip.

You can even hook one of those up to the web (albeit with a little bit of work) and surf (with an appropriate non-graphic browser -- like WannaBe). I had to survive for a bit while my 'book was temporarily out of commission -- so dug the SE/30 out of the closet and had a lot of fun. The B&W was somewhat limiting -- but for text web pages (or low graphic versions), you'd be surprised how fast they can load.

if indeed it is a Mac Classic -- Sys 6.0.3 is stored in ROM, so you can boot up into a system by holding some combination of keys (command-option-X-O, if i recall -- "XO" was one of the codenames for the Mac Classic).

cheers, enjoy....

Forum Links
Forum Rules