Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > neon in a g5

neon in a g5
bradleykavin
Aug 9, 2004, 01:07 AM

where can u get neon lights to install into a g5? and how would you do it without damaging the computer? i really want to do this so if anyone knows any place or anything it would be of big help
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 02:43 AM

Seems like such a waste to do and can't believe I'm encouraging you to do it but...

Mod your Mac

Modding.net

Out of morbid curiosity, do let us know how far you got.

Cheers.

antisonne
Aug 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Buy some at a auto parts store, they are 12 volt, then just hook them up to your molex connectors. ( 1 red wire, 2 blacks, 1 yellow). Red and black will give you 12 volts, yellow and black will give you 6 (good for reducing fan speed).

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by bradleykavin:
where can u get neon lights to install into a g5? and how would you do it without damaging the computer? i really want to do this so if anyone knows any place or anything it would be of big help
This is a dumbass idea. Why do ppl think that this is cool? It just looks cheap. It might have been cool when it was first done, but now everyone and their brother has a dumbass light set-up in their PC. Lame. Lame. lame. Is there anything that says "I have no life" more than PC case-modding, or posting to this thread?

jeez
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

bradleykavin  (op)
Aug 12, 2004, 09:30 PM

dude u can go **** yourself. im 15 and i think that **** is cool and if anyone doesnt havea life its your gay ass..you make like ten posts a day so odviouslly (with the exception of few and the admin people here) have no life. i go places but i also like mac. dont ****ing talk **** you **** face
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 11:01 PM

dude u can go **** yourself. im 15 and i think that **** is cool and if anyone doesnt havea life its your gay ass..you make like ten posts a day so odviouslly (with the exception of few and the admin people here) have no life. i go places but i also like mac. dont ****ing talk **** you **** face
I guess you have to grow into taste. BTW, I have exactly 0.62 posts per day.

Anyways, I ing stand by my opinion. Modding a PC is lame. Modding a G5 with neon is even more ing retarded.

P.S. Why do you have to state your age? Were you hoping that ppl would be all "hey, the guy is only 15 give him a break. He is too young to not be retarded."
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

bradleykavin  (op)
Aug 12, 2004, 11:10 PM

dude you can seriouslly go **** yourself...you can ahve your opinion and i respect that..but when you critisize other people disrespectfully..thats another story..you didnt have to call me lame and ****..seriouslly your like one of those guys that has no friends and talks to himself and plays dungeons and dragons

teknik
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 01:49 AM

dude you can seriouslly go **** yourself...you can ahve your opinion and i respect that..but when you critisize other people disrespectfully..thats another story..you didnt have to call me lame and ****..seriouslly your like one of those guys that has no friends and talks to himself and plays dungeons and dragons
Why don't you just quit posting, Mr. Moviestar. He was offering his opinion, and you attacked him.

Have fun with your neon G5.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 01:16 AM

You might try to install some slim neons under your G5 case and drill small holes for the wires to run into the case. You can get cold cathodes from a number of places including newegg. Search for "PC case mods" on google and I'm sure you'll find plenty of sources. I personally did mod my PC case with a window and such. And at the time it seems like a great idea. But to be honest I have to go through the whole thing to straighten up cables and such and you have to keep it very clean to keep it looking nice inside. It's not worth it IMHO. It can look good if you do it very carefully - however most people screw it up. I was lucky enough to have a full shop to do it in so all my cuts are perfect and I have 2 92mm fans mounted in my acrylic window - again with perfect cuts. However, if you try to do such things with a dremmel you'll most likely find yourself wishing you wouldn't have screwed up your nice case. Anyway, like I always say, to each his own. I can't say that I would do it again - but it did help my overclock at the time. I do have a pretty high performance PC that I won't complain about. But you might want to think carefully before you do this - as you can't buy another G5 case if you mess up.

Anyway, I really do think that a cold cathode neon under the case with a switch mounted somewhere in the back of your case would add a nice effect that you could turn on and off whenever you wanted. However, I don't know enough about the bulid of the G5 case to tell you how to do it exactly. I'm sure you'll figure something out. Also, this would only look good if the G5 was resting on the floor or somewhere that the bottom was well below eye level...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by antisonne:
Buy some at a auto parts store, they are 12 volt, then just hook them up to your molex connectors. ( 1 red wire, 2 blacks, 1 yellow). Red and black will give you 12 volts, yellow and black will give you 6 (good for reducing fan speed).
Actually the yellow is 12v and the red is 5v.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2004, 11:28 PM

Hmmm... How did I manage to miss this gold nugget of a thread?

Oh well, all is calm now...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

unimaxium
Aug 20, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
You might try to install some slim neons under your G5 case and drill small holes for the wires to run into the case. You can get cold cathodes from a number of places including newegg. Search for "PC case mods" on google and I'm sure you'll find plenty of sources. I personally did mod my PC case with a window and such. And at the time it seems like a great idea. ...
You ****** ******** * *****-like ***** *th ******t. lol just kidding. Now what was I actually going to say? Ah yes...

In case you haven't noticed there are already a lot of holes drilled into the G5 case.
Also like other people mentioned there is a power supply that you might be able to tap into to get power without extra cables. But I do not know how practical this would be.
One other idea I have thought of is getting a USB PCI card like this one that has a USB port on the inside and get a light to plug into the port. Or if you're good enough maybe you could make your own light(s) that plug into the port for maximum customizability in terms of color, brightness, and placement.

I for one would like to see a G5 with a light inside. Normal PC cases with lights inside admittedly are old, but I have never seen a lit-up G5 and would like to see someone with that kind of mod. Other people are perfectly entitled to their opinion, and if you don't like a case mod then I am totally fine with that, but don't go around calling people bad names just because they like something you don't.

perbl
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2004, 12:47 PM

No need to offend us nice D&D-players here then

Btw, how do you play a group-based game without friends?

Forum Links
Forum Rules