Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Laserdisc

Laserdisc
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 10:29 AM

Hello there, I have this weird obsession with old (and new) A/V equipment. But the thing is that I'm an 18 year old student so I don't have a lot of money to blow so I haven't really got to buying more than an LP. I wan't to buy a high end cassette deck (I've been cassette-less for years), a DAT-deck, maybe a DCC-deck, a CD-R deck, A high end VCR, Betamax deck and ultimately a DV-deck (but they are still lot's of ���). Now I recently went to babysit my little nephews and nieces at my uncles place and they still had a Sony Laserdisc player with some Laserdiscs. Something really special over here in Europe since LD never catched on here. Now would it be worth it to spend some money on LD ? Are there a lot of titles available on LD that aren't available on DVD ? My main purpose for LD would be just for fun, I love those big discs
I'm going to have start thinking about a way to add more inputs to my amp tough since my 6 inputs are all used (Tuner, DVD, MiniDisc, CD, Computer, Phono).

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 10:37 AM

We used to have a LD player. I actually still have all the LD's from back then. Been looking for a player.. but at $500+ each..not sure its worth it. The only collection I have that I like to see is the Ultimate Collection for Star Wars.

Now that you reminded me, I may have to hit my parents up and see if they till have their player.

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 10:51 AM

Yeah well, you can get the players for less than �100 on ebay..

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2004, 01:39 PM

I still have mine. I hardly use it anymore. Been transferring stuff to DVD actually.

Is it worth it? Some people will find an obscure movie that only came out on LD in 1992 with 400 copies and make you think it's worth it, but unless you can find a movie that's NOT on DVD, I'd say no.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
Now would it be worth it to spend some money on LD ? Are there a lot of titles available on LD that aren't available on DVD ?
1) Not if you're a student who should be spending his money on more important things

2) Yes, same as with the millions of LPs that will never see a CD versions. I have lots of those!

(click for bigger)

I got into Laserdiscs a few years ago, at the real dawning of the DVD market when everyone was ditching LDs left and right. Consqequently I got some real bargains, like the THX versions of the original Star Wars Trilogy for US$24, and a number of Criterion movies that will never see the light of day in that same format.

LDs, like LPs, are cool and fun and at the same time an impractical pain in the butt. That's why I'm back on eBay buying more of both!

Goldfinger  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
[B]1) Not if you're a student who should be spending his money on more important things
I got my budget balanced . Booze and girls go first [/quote]

2) Yes, same as with the millions of LPs that will never see a CD versions. I have lots of those!
Any recommendations ? I'm not into buying original stuff that is "better" like Star Wars (I actually prefer the newer versions).

LDs, like LPs, are cool and fun and at the same time an impractical pain in the butt. That's why I'm back on eBay buying more of both!
That's exactly why I'm interested in them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2004, 06:27 PM

Laserdiscs didn't pick up period, it's not just Europe.

The original THX enhanced Star Wars, by the way, is an example of a good laserdisc that won't be on DVD.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2004, 06:45 PM

What about all that jazz about it sounding better than DVD's?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
What about all that jazz about it sounding better than DVD's?
I don't know about "better" than DVD, I don't really have much to A/B compare. They can be gloriously loud, though.

I do like DVD's option of 'late night' mode or whatever it is that compresses the sound so you can watch a big action flick and not miss the dialogue. When I was watching the LD of "Heat" I think my upstairs neighbours thought a truck was driving in!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules