Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chevy HHR: How many of you guys are buying one????

Chevy HHR: How many of you guys are buying one????
SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 17, 2005, 11:39 PM

Hey Macnn people! How many of you people are going to be purchasing Chevy's overweight underpowered truck thing that can't really tow or go offroading because it isn't really a truck it's more like a car without a trunk and it only seats two but it doesn't handle or accelerate all that well and it's expensive but you'll get one anyways because they have a LINE IN JACK on tehf ucking stereo so for some reason some marketing twats thought that "OMG LINE IN= IPOD" even htough a ****ing line in jack can be used for almost any portable stereo device, but we'll throw the name IPOD on our stupid banner ad and then advertise on mac forum sites and we'll make MILLIONS! Mac users pay a premium to get a slower product that nobody else has, so maybe they'll pay a premium for our totally inferior useless product! It's GENIOUS! SHEER GENIOUS!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2005, 11:42 PM

The HHR? You mean the pickup truck that all the real pickup trucks point and laugh at? Nope. I'd be afraid someone might see me in it and think I'd gone idiot or something. It's a goofy form for a vehicle without a real market.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2005, 11:51 PM

That thing is sickeningly fugly.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 17, 2005, 11:59 PM

Is this the one where they tried to copy the PT Cruiser?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Is this the one where they tried to copy the PT Cruiser?
Yep, the first time I saw it I thought it was some riceboy mod on a PT.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 12:31 AM

Wait. How much are they? It's gotta be worth a few bucks just to annoy Rob.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 12:33 AM

Sounds too big. My Mini Cooper is all the car I need.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 12:33 AM

And the PT cruiser is bad enough. A friend of mine is a location guy in the movie industry. He drives a lot on the job, so he always has a production car, normally a pickup or SUV so he can keep all his stuff (traffic cones, generators etc) in there.
A couple of month back he was given a purple PT cruiser for a couple of weeks. He has never lived that down.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2005, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I built mine and will order soon. I can't wait!

WHOOWHEE ITS SO BEAUTEEFUL!!!

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
How many of you people are going to be purchasing Chevy's overweight underpowered truck thing that can't really tow or go offroading because it isn't really a truck it's more like a car without a trunk and it only seats two but it doesn't handle or accelerate all that well and it's expensive but you'll get one anyways because they have a LINE IN JACK on tehf ucking stereo so for some reason some marketing twats thought that "OMG LINE IN= IPOD" even htough a ****ing line in jack can be used for almost any portable stereo device, but we'll throw the name IPOD on our stupid banner ad and then advertise on mac forum sites and we'll make MILLIONS!
What the hell are you talking about? The SSR is truck-like and only seats two, but the HHR has the line-in jack. They’re two completely different vehicles at two completely different price points.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sage
What the hell are you talking about? The SSR is truck-like and only seats two, but the HHR has the line-in jack. They’re two completely different vehicles at two completely different price points.
****. You're right. Oh well, way to go Chevy for coming up with two very similiar very retarded very vague names.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 01:06 AM

****. You're right. Oh well, way to go Chevy for coming up with two very similiar very retarded very vague names.
Open mouth, insert foot, as usual.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 18, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
kinkyâ„¢

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Open mouth, insert foot, as usual.
Bleh, so I can't tell horseshit from cowshit. Big deal.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 01:22 AM

Cowpoop comes in pats, as if it were poured onto the ground in a semi-liquid form. Horsepoop comes in round balls.

There ya go.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 01:38 AM

TRUCK?!? The HHR is a station wagon. It's based on the Cobalt chassis. It is a very late-comer for competition to the PT cruiser. It's a very fuel efficient. 30 MPG highway. It's small, and it's very cheap, under $16,000 MSRP.

And it's getting very good reviews.

And I guess it would be easy to confuse HHR and SSR. I mean, they both have "R"s in their name. You must have a real bitch of a time with keeping BWMs and M-Bs models apart. You sure are obsessed with cars. Or is that knee-jerking?

P.S. It's ugly, which shouldn't bother iamretarded68 at all. Look what he owns.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 01:39 AM

SVX.... WRX.... ring a bell?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 18, 2005, 10:25 AM

I still find the SSR dorky looking. And since the HHR looks like the "panel truck" version of the same platform, it looks dorky too. I got the names confused because I've seen only the pickup-style vehicle, not the crusier style one.

I remember when Chevy made cool cars. Chevelles, Novas (the early '70s were great for those!) and the like. Now their marketing-driven product development folks come up with goofy looking stuff. I think it's sad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Now their marketing-driven product development folks come up with goofy looking stuff. I think it's sad.
Same all over though ain't it? Back in 2000 the Dodge Durango was a good looking SUV. Then they had to go all retro and drop the headlights (in relation to the hood) - pretty much the same as they've done with that hideous SUV up there.
Same with the Jeep Liberty - they had to go all retro and put round headlights on it (at the same time as losing what I call the "classic American" windscreen line from the XJ Cherokee).

A while back I concluded that this was the result of letting "general purpose" designers have anything to do with the product. By "general purpose" designers I mean people who'd be just as happy designing the latest basketball boot or shampoo packaging. What they need in the car industry is designers who love cars rather than love design for the sake of it.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 11:37 AM

It looks like a soccer mom alternative to a minivan, so I don't imagine they really intend for it to compete with trucks. It's just a little city car with a bit more space and an old-fashioned look, like the PT Cruiser (which sells well to suburban moms).

Plus, the image Effgee chose shows it in lovely purple, as the marketing department probably presented for reviewers.

Sorry it's not Tuff Enuff for you.

Why don't you pick on the Prius while you're on a roll picking on consumer vehicles outside your demographic?
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 11:49 AM

When someone else makes an error, they are an idiot according to you. Yet, when you screw up, it's because of "two very similiar very retarded very vague names." LMFAO. Classic.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
When someone else makes an error, they are an idiot according to you. Yet, when you screw up, it's because of "two very similiar very retarded very vague names." LMFAO. Classic.

RGB
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 11:59 AM

You hear the new eMacs have flat screens now?? And G5s??

RGB
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 12:02 PM

Actually a decent looking mod, from SEMA

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 12:10 PM

I like the colour: Majestic Amethyst Metallic.

As in, purple.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
SVX.... WRX.... ring a bell?
WORX and SUX. Easy to see the difference.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I still find the SSR dorky looking. And since the HHR looks like the "panel truck" version of the same platform, it looks dorky too. I got the names confused because I've seen only the pickup-style vehicle, not the crusier style one.
Ditto. I honestly thought the pic of that thing in the banner ad right above the forums was the 2 seater 'sporty expensive' one. They both look very quite similarly putrid and tasteless.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 18, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by RGB
[img]**snip**[/img]Actually a decent looking mod, from SEMA
It's snow-white's casket - AAAAAAHHH.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Same all over though ain't it? Back in 2000 the Dodge Durango was a good looking SUV. Then they had to go all retro and drop the headlights (in relation to the hood) - pretty much the same as they've done with that hideous SUV up there.
The reason they're lowerign the headlights is because of all the people complaining on how BAD suvs blind other drivers. You wouldn't know, since you drive a jeep. But if you're in a car, and there's an SUV driving behind you, you really can't see ****.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
like the PT Cruiser (which sells well to suburban moms).
Wrong. I've never seen a soccer mom with a PT. Every single PT I've ever seen has been driven by some geezers. Soccer moms drive SUVs made for offroading.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
Depends on the error. If it was confusing say, a mustang and an F150, yes, I would think they are an idiot.

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 12:38 PM

HHR = too little, too late. PT mania is already dead, and now they release a blatantly unoriginal copy. GM going down the tubes? gee. wonder why.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 12:41 PM

On a side note I do like the way the Solstice LOOKS.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by memento
HHR = too little, too late. PT mania is already dead, and now they release a blatantly unoriginal copy. GM going down the tubes? gee. wonder why.
GM may be in trouble, but it isn't because of the HHR.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103332

Chevy HHR is hot, so GM raises target again, looks at boosting production
JAMIE LAREAU | Automotive News
Posted Date: 10/10/05
DETROIT -- General Motors believes it has a hit with the new Chevrolet HHR wagon but must figure out how to build more of them.

"What we're trying to do is ramp up the capacity of the components and the plant so that we can build without having to go build another plant for it," says Lori Queen, GM's vehicle line executive for small cars.

Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman for product development, says GM plans to produce 120,000 HHRs annually. Production will "probably go up from there," Lutz adds.

Initially, Chevrolet expected to sell 80,000 to 100,000 units annually. In June, GM revised that goal to about 60,000 a year, said Jim Campbell, director of Chevrolet car marketing. Last month, Queen insisted the plan always was to build 100,000 HHRs annually.

Queen says GM is running maximum overtime to build the vehicles at its Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, plant.

She shies away from Lutz's 120,000 annual production target. "I'm hoping we can, but I don't know," Queen says. "I'm trying to understand if I can get to that level." Queen says she must determine whether components and plant capacity are available.

Last month, Chevrolet sold 8,602 HHRs. Sales of the wagon outpaced those of the Scion xB (4,459) and Honda Element (4,988). Chrysler sold 11,742 PT Cruisers last month.

The HHR starts at $15,990, including shipping.

According to the J.D. Power Information Network, the largest bloc of buyers -- 42.7 percent -- were Chevrolet owners. But Lutz says nearly half of the HHR sales comes from owners of competitors' vehicles.

"Any time we get that, we know a vehicle is working for us," Lutz says. "The top markets for it are Southern California, Houston and Dallas, which are areas where it's always hard to achieve breakthrough with a domestic passenger vehicle."

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 01:05 PM

interesting. I stand corrected. people are actually buying that thing. But since I'm from NY (and not CA or TX) I have not seen any on the road. seriously. The car buying public continues to elude my understanding.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 01:42 PM

I like that HHR. Good storage, good MPG, good price, not an SUV, but not a boring wagon or an everybody-has-one Outback either. I kinda like the retro look too. They're definitely overplaying the iPod integration, but I wish my car had a simple jack like that to plug in my iPod.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I like that HHR. Good storage, good MPG, good price, not an SUV, but not a boring wagon or an everybody-has-one Outback either. I kinda like the retro look too. They're definitely overplaying the iPod integration, but I wish my car had a simple jack like that to plug in my iPod.
But it's already been done before. And better.
I want one of them PTs with the turbos.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 02:49 PM

I like the retro look as well, but maybe because I'm an old fart, who's dad's uncle used to have a 1949 Suburban that I used to go on grocery deliveries with, when I was a young lad.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
But it's already been done before. And better.
I want one of them PTs with the turbos.
I like that PT Cruiser too, but it's not really a wagon. It seems much smaller than this HHR, more like a hatchback.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 04:12 PM

I hope this is the next GM product I buy:

Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2005, 04:15 PM

GM Makes Vipers?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 18, 2005, 04:23 PM

GM Makes Vipers?
That's about as much a Viper as you are Chinese.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2005, 04:31 PM

You are right, it just looks like one.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Nov 18, 2005, 04:34 PM

You are right, it just looks like one.
Somehow I'm always reminded of the illegitimate child of a Viper (mom) and a Ferrari (dad) when I see that thing. But hey - to each his/her own.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Nov 18, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
Buy one. Lots of aftermarket stereos have line ins. If you want to keep your current system, spend $20 or so on an FM adaptor. Poof.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2005, 04:58 PM

Then you've gone from digital quality to analog quality to FM quality...
Burn mp3 cd's

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 07:01 PM

GM Makes Vipers?
No, they make Viper-killers. The Z06 is soundly faster in a straight line and around a race track than the Viper. Motor trend has the the Z06 beating a Ford GT around a race track, by 4.2 seconds on a 75-second track. I'm not sure how it would do against an F430 - but either way it would be close. Really, the only two sports cars currently in production (save for super-exotics) that would lap the Z06 are the Carrera GT and the Enzo. That's impressive.

Yes, I like the Corvette. Why? Most of all, because I appreciate the quality of engineering. Some of GM's other products make me want to cry - but the Corvette designers definitely did their homework.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 18, 2005, 07:51 PM

I cant get over the fact that drum brakes are still offered on new vehicles.
people ruin everything....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
No, they make Viper-killers. The Z06 is soundly faster in a straight line and around a race track than the Viper. Motor trend has the the Z06 beating a Ford GT around a race track, by 4.2 seconds on a 75-second track. I'm not sure how it would do against an F430 - but either way it would be close. Really, the only two sports cars currently in production (save for super-exotics) that would lap the Z06 are the Carrera GT and the Enzo. That's impressive.

Yes, I like the Corvette. Why? Most of all, because I appreciate the quality of engineering. Some of GM's other products make me want to cry - but the Corvette designers definitely did their homework.
The Corvette, even in standard form, is a bargain for what it does, when you have to pay much, much more for a comparable vehicle.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2005, 08:37 PM

Wait till this next Viper comes out.

BTW, I wasn't saying it was slower than the Viper.

I said it looked like one.

It's obvious GM tried to do this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules