Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC 2017 comments

WWDC 2017 comments (Page 3)
P
Jun 11, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I think they also plan to make this modular MP a proper Xserve replacement of sorts as well. Some people still want Mac servers and Mac Minis aren't always up to the task in terms of storage and throughput. iMacs are capable but its a waste having a quality 27" display attached to a server no one sits at.
My hope was always that - make something that CAN fit in a 19" rack if it has to, even if that is not the main usecase.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2017, 06:15 PM

There does still seem to be some demand for them. Apple calls MacMiniColo whenever someone is taking down a big Xserve install and they buy them all up happily.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ham Sandwich
Jun 12, 2017, 08:13 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:40 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2017, 08:31 AM

No worse than Steve's "owe-tomatic" and "Jag-wire"…of all the things to get annoyed at…

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2017, 10:08 AM

I've only ever heard it pronounced like "baby lake".

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mindwaves
Jun 12, 2017, 10:22 AM

I've never heard anyone from Intel say the name, but internally in my own mind, I always said it as it rhymes with baby. During the keynote, I was happy to hear that I was "correct."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2017, 01:09 PM

Since it's short for "Kabinakagami Lake", I'd assume that "Kuh-bee" is probably correcterer. But really, who cares?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2017, 06:34 AM

I'm looking through reqs for the last month and most people at the office in the upgrade cycle are asking for 12.9" iPad Pros, in lieu of laptops, and I'm noticing the prices. $1200-1400 for a tablet? WTF? Sure, that's not too bad compared to a new Surface Book, which was one of their other options, but that's still a little nuts, IMO.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Ham Sandwich
Jun 24, 2017, 07:11 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:42 AM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I'm looking through reqs for the last month and most people at the office in the upgrade cycle are asking for 12.9" iPad Pros, in lieu of laptops, and I'm noticing the prices. $1200-1400 for a tablet? WTF? Sure, that's not too bad compared to a new Surface Book, which was one of their other options, but that's still a little nuts, IMO.
People I know with the 10.5in model are absolutely smitten like with no other iPad.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jun 25, 2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Did you get your question answered? I'm curious about this as well.
I answered twice. It has not changed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2017, 04:27 PM

I ask "Billy" into the office and hand him a 12.9" iPad Pro, then say, "This is a new iPad Pro, what do you think?"

He fiddles with it and beams, "Wow, this is amazing, it's so quick. Look, you can really see the difference with the 120Hz refresh rate!"

"Thanks Billy, you can go now." He leaves.

See, the thing is, it was a "new" 12.9" iPad Pro, it simply wasn't of the 2017 variety.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I answered twice. It has not changed.
Ah yes - and I see now that I'd forgotten to thank you for that.

Thank you, P.

OreoCookie
Jun 25, 2017, 06:59 PM

I played with a 10.5" iPad Pro in Osaka's Apple Store last week, and the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz is tremendous. And as an avid Pencil user, cutting the lag in half from ~40 ms to ~20 ms is immediately noticeable. Almost a pity that I bought a 9.7" Pro last year — almost.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mindwaves
Jun 25, 2017, 08:57 PM

I played with a 10.5" yesterday and didn't notice anything special about the new display.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2017, 05:42 AM

I will admit, I can tell the difference when messing with them side-by-side, but it can be difficult to see if you just pick a new one up and do general tasks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I played with a 10.5" iPad Pro in Osaka's Apple Store last week, and the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz is tremendous. And as an avid Pencil user, cutting the lag in half from ~40 ms to ~20 ms is immediately noticeable. Almost a pity that I bought a 9.7" Pro last year — almost.
Well, frick...

I'm in the same boat, and I'm trying to do everything I can to not talk myself into selling the 9.7" for the 10.5". I use the Apple Pencil over an hour per day, easily — meeting notes, drawing, browsing...all day. That extra 0.8" is nearly as much of a selling point for me.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That extra 0.8" is nearly as much of a selling point for me.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 26, 2018, 11:26 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:39 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2018, 09:50 AM

You want the woofer at the bottom, firing right into the whole tweeter array above it?

Or would you prefer it right below the microphones?

Ham Sandwich
Jan 27, 2018, 10:49 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:39 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2018, 04:19 PM

No, that doesn’t mean "have the tweeters as high up as possible", it means "have the tweeters at ear level".

That’s a pretty fundamental difference.

Also, no serious hi-fi enthusiast is going to be buying these things for sitting down in an ideal listening triangle for serious listening. Like Sonos and other similar wireless multi-room systems, these are aimed at discerning-but-casual listeners.

My car stereo doesn’t hold a candle to my Linn System in the living room. But it's good enough to be fun and not annoy me; likewise with the kitchen system (though that one is going to be replaced at some point).

HomePod looks like a perfect system for the bedroom, where its purpose would be to fill the room with decent sound, not to provide a hi-fi listening experience.

I’ll reserve final judgement until after I’ve heard one, though. I’m curious how well the room acoustics compensation will work.

OreoCookie
Jan 28, 2018, 04:25 AM

A reasonable goal for Apple here is to do the same the iPhone did to the camera market: make the sound quality sound good as to eat into the compact stereo market. The iPhone does not compete with dslrs and mirrorless cameras, but they have squeezed compact cameras out of the market.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mindwaves
Jan 28, 2018, 09:53 AM

I hope Apple didn’t make the HomePod small just for the sake of it being small like the Mac pro trashcan model. If that Mac was a bit larger, it would be cheaper to make, use less custom parts, and maybe fit a full graphics card inside, and be easier to cool.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2018, 11:51 AM

Apple sure doesn't seem very excited about the Homepod and also isn't doing a good job of getting us excited either.

This is the lowest key launch I can remember for an entire new product line at Apple.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of these tubes you talk to. I know the tech press seems to be all excited for them, but have they really penetrated the market? Do people really care? I know a few people who have them, but the vast majority of people I know could give two craps. Me included.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Personally, I don't understand the appeal of these tubes you talk to. I know the tech press seems to be all excited for them, but have they really penetrated the market? Do people really care? I know a few people who have them, but the vast majority of people I know could give two craps. Me included.
Agreed - what are they for? When we get old and mutter around, are they so someone something, anything will answer back? Why pay money for this when you can leave a TV running?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2018, 01:38 PM

Maybe these things are more popular on the coasts, but whenever I hear people talking about how popular Amazon Alexas are, I really have to wonder what they are talking about. I hang with a bunch of tech-savvy gadget geeks (shocker I know) and literally none of them own one. As far as I know, none of the middle/upper middle class parents I know have one either.

Like, almost no one I know in real life owns these things or ever talks about them. Who are they popular with?
( Last edited by ort888; Jan 29, 2018 at 02:50 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2018, 03:35 PM

You shut up about my girlfriend!

Ham Sandwich
Jul 19, 2018, 09:16 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:55 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2018, 12:18 PM

Good news!

That makes sense, given that the limitation in PCIe lanes was tied to core count.

Forum Links
Forum Rules