Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting a Mac LC 2 to a CDROM

Connecting a Mac LC 2 to a CDROM
roders
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 02:06 PM

I think this computer has a scuzzi port is this correct, and which most current version of the Mac OS can I run on it ( I think its running 7.1 at the moment but it is a little slow).
Any other info/links about this computer (software hardware would be greatly appreiciated.

MacMonster
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 02:34 PM

LCII has a SCSI port so that you can connect to an external SCSI device including CD-ROM drive.

If you want to use CD-ROM, you must have at least System 7. System 6.0.8 also work on your machine if you think System 7 is too slow.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2001, 04:04 PM

I ran a 2x SCSI cdrom off an lcIII with no problems. I started out at os 7.1, but it also worked fine at 7.6, even chained to a zip drive! (sad that the zip drive had a bigger disk space... )

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 07:10 PM

The most recent version of the Mac OS you can run on an LCII is 7.6.1, but if 7.1 is slow on your computer, you might not want to install 7.6.1, which usually runs slower on most computers than 7.1.

When you get a CD-ROM drive, if it wasn't made by Apple, make sure that you have the driver for it. Apple's driver only works with Apple drives, so make sure you have the driver for your drive. If you already have a drive, but no driver, you can usually find them on the internet, but it sometimes takes quite a bit of searching.

Hope this helps.
-etphonehome
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 08:45 PM

I saw my first every quicktime movie on an LCII with an external 2x caddy loading cdrom drive.

It was the "one small step for man, giant leap for mankind" movie off groliers.

capone
Forum Regular
May 29, 2001, 05:31 PM

get system 7.5.5 and CDRom toolkit from FWB. I used this with my LCIII and it works great.

------------------
-capone

G4/400 448 30,10 Rage128, Radeon
Performa 6116CD/60/700
Quadra AV
LC 575
LCIII
Apple IIgs

And thats not all

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Master G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 05:39 PM

Dear Roders,

I have a: LC,LC II,LC III, LC 475, Performa 450 etc. etc. all those machines are a like your machine. And I prefer to run Mac OS 7.6.1 on it because it is stable and has many features, like good working Network (internet). The only thing that's a must is more memory

greetings,

Kasper Schoonman
AppleMuseum.com

binky_says_hi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 03:24 AM

I would have to agree with 'capone' on FWB software that stuff worked
great on my LC III's Toshiba XM-4101, 2X CD.

LC III with
&gt; 20Mb RAM
&gt; 768K Video, 1 Gb HD
&gt; CD & 10 base-T Ethernet card
could U jam anymore in a pizza box?

WillyB
Jun 5, 2001, 09:49 AM

I prefer to run Mac OS 7.6.1 on it because it is stable and has many features, like good working Network (internet). The only thing that's a must is more memory.
I wouldn't even bother... LC II's RAM max's out at 10MB... try finding a browser that wouldn't choke on that.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

<oar>
Jun 5, 2001, 10:49 AM

iCab browser:
http://www.iCab.de/

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2001, 11:58 AM

Hi Roders,
The other thing you want to be careful about is the hard drive size of the LCII... OS 7.6 could take up a huge chunk of the hard drive (if not all, depending onthe size)...
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules