Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tornado on its way

Tornado on its way
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 08:25 PM

Well, a nice rain-wrapped twister is about 4 miles out and heading this way, so why not post. If you don't hear from me again, 'twas nice knowing ya!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 08:38 PM

Save your Mac!!

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 08:41 PM

I hope it misses you.

If not--and if you end up in Oz--tell the Wizard he's a fake.

Seriously--hope things are OK

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 08:41 PM

i saw something on tornados lask night on the weather channel, where are you located? has it even touched down? nevermind you are probably in your basement...i hate severe weather...i think i would rather have snow.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i hate severe weather...i think i would rather have snow.
Blizzards aren't severe?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Blizzards aren't severe?

severe would be getting stuck at home all day, not getting your house sucked up by a tornado. seriously though i am such a little bitch when it comes to thunderstorms and tornado watches. at least i don't live in that tornado alley or whatever it is called.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Well, a nice rain-wrapped twister is about 4 miles out and heading this way, so why not post. If you don't hear from me again, 'twas nice knowing ya!
I don't suppose your tornada is the same tornado as my tornado here in Tulsa is it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 08:52 PM

Can I have your stuff?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 09:07 PM

Follow the yellow brick road
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I don't suppose your tornada is the same tornado as my tornado here in Tulsa is it?
Why, yes it is. What are you doing posting?

First one missed us... it went back into the cloud. It wasn't quite dark yet and got some good video of the swirling clouds before I joined my family in the central room.

Back to the hidey hole... apparently there's another one forming west of town and taking the same exact path as the first.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 20, 2004, 09:31 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:37 AM. )

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 10:13 PM

The second one was a dud too. PowerMacMan, I didn't know you lived in Tulsa. Where in town do you live? I'm in the Broken Arrow area.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 10:42 PM

Whee! They're coming for me later too. (St. Louis, edge of Tornado alley)

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 11:05 PM

Post pics!
I, ASIMO.

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 11:11 PM

Yea, there was a tornado here in northern Illinois too. Apparently, a daycare house got hit, but luckily it was closed.

I was at work at the mall, which I guess would be a safe place to be during it, but it didn't hit.

Tornadoes suck.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 11:36 PM

Hey, my girlfriend is from Broken Arrow.

No, seriously.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 11:37 PM

The second one was a dud too. PowerMacMan, I didn't know you lived in Tulsa. Where in town do you live? I'm in the Broken Arrow area.
I'm in the 71st & Yale/Sheridan area.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 03:47 AM

Where I live, we've had like 1 thundersorm in 3 years I like watching thunderstorms. Ok, I'm talking about the pussy English style thunderstorms, not the 'end-of-the-world-hailstones-the-size-of-bowling-balls' thunderstorms you get in the US, but even so, 1 in three years !

I don't know what it is - it must be a geographic anomaly or something, but even when the rest of the country is getting them, they seem to just miss us.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
at least i don't live in that tornado alley or whatever it is called.
We get enough Tornado threats up here that it sure seems it.

My brother was stationed at Tinker AFB and he lived in Moore, OK (suburb of Oklahoma City), a few years back when a big tornado wiped out a good portion of the city, his home included. He and his family were safe, even the dog found a safe place to hide, although no one knows where. But after that, his wife and the kids went to New Jersey to live with her parents, and when he was able to get the transfer, he followed. They've been living there ever since.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Not if you've lived in Minnesota.

Out there, blizzard = baseball weather.

You wouldn't think it driving on the road. On first snowfall there are cars everywhere in the ditch. You'd think the people around here would know how to drive in the snow. Sheesh!

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 09:06 AM

I second the motion to take pictures!

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I'm in the 71st & Yale/Sheridan area.
You probably had a pretty decent view of the funnel cloud then. I couldn't see it well from where I was, but the turbulence going on in the clouds was pretty impressive. I haven't checked my video footage yet... if it's halfway decent, I'll post some stills tonight.

Someone's black cat was huddled on our front porch and howling during the height of the storm. I guess he was freaked out and didn't know where to go, so I let him in our garage. Once the storm passed, I let him out and he went on his merry way as if nothing had happened.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 03:14 PM

This is the only shot I got with the digital still camera. The greenishness of the clouds was much more impressive than it seems in the image. This is looking westward, and the wall cloud is somewhere north about a mile away. I never could see it from where I was.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 04:12 PM

Thats a nice house you have there xi_hyperon.

So, I can only assume that seeing a tornado in person so close must be terrifying, but are you also drawn to watching it to see what sort of damage it does.

How long does tornado season last for?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 04:26 PM

i love the contrast between the light on the house and the color of the clouds

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 04:31 PM

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by kiwibabe:
Thats a nice house you have there xi_hyperon.

So, I can only assume that seeing a tornado in person so close must be terrifying, but are you also drawn to watching it to see what sort of damage it does.

How long does tornado season last for?
That's my neighbor's house. Mine is just over half as big.

Tornado season here runs from about March until June. I've always been interested in the weather, and this time of year I'm on the National Weather Service site more than I'm in the lounge. I guess it's the same kind of curiosity that drives people who chase storms for a living. I'm not so drawn to watching for any damage it can cause, but more so to the storms themselves. It is amazing to see in person what nature is capable of given a little heat, humidity and the right airflow - it's awesome and awful at the same time. The downside of course is that twisters do cause damage, and I would never wish that on anyone.

There is even greater instability in the area today, and so there's a good chance we'll see more rotations tonight. Whatever happens, I hope that no one loses property or is injured. I saw that Illinois was hit bad last night.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Can I have your stuff?
would you be able to find it?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 10:49 PM

I enjoyed today's tornado siren(s) as well. I was at work this time and they made an announcement over the intercom asking everybody to leave the building and meet in the parking lot 'for our safety'.

Amusing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 11:02 PM

Ha, OKIE's !!!!!!!
I'm in the Tulsa area, too, well Stillwater now. I didn't have to deal with the storms last night or tonight, but I go home on the weekends and it is that time of the year, so I'm sure I'll have to deal with them sooner or later.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 11:43 PM

Golfball sized hail hit north OKC and Edmond today. There was a funnel cloud, but it never developed into a tornado.

We don't have white Christmases, we have white springs.

More severe storms are predicted for tomorrow. It's kinda fun, actually.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2004, 05:02 AM

I saw the damage from the tornados In Illinois on the news tonight. Its never good to hear that people are hurt/dead.

I personally couldn't handle the stress of living in tornado alley, I would be a mental wreck. Saying that I am addicted to watching extreme weather documentaries especially tornados. The power from them is just awesome.

I hope that you all are safe and sound tonight.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by kiwibabe:
I am addicted to watching extreme weather documentaries especially tornados.
Me too. I'm in awe of the weather some people in other parts of the world live with. It's cool to be able to read people's first hand experiences here. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're all safe n' sound...

The weather here in the UK is never very extreme. The winters aren't too cold and the summers aren't too hot. As Gee4orce said, I can't remeber the last time we had a real thunder storm.
tin pot, garden shed

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 09:31 AM

Looks like there are more Okies here than I thought. We should all go and have a beer sometime.

Last night was kinda exciting but the rotation fell apart before it moved into town. We had kind of a strange occurence. A good sized supercell t-storm with rotation came in from the west and collided with another cell coming in from the south, and they kind of melded together and spun clockwise over the city. It was cool watching the clouds going in all different directions.

I don't know if the other guys from here have noticed, but historically the majority of tornadoes moving into the Tulsa area fall apart west of town. My neighbor and I were discussing this phenomenon, and wondering if it is the geography of the outlying areas, specifically the river. The F5 twister that came up I-44 back in 1999 is a prime example, and there have been numerous smaller ones that have fallen apart in the same general area. Any ideas what causes that? Not that I'm complaining - just think it's interesting.

kiwibabe - it's not so bad here. The chances of actually ending up in the path of a twister is pretty small. Having said that, my house will probably get blown away tonight.

PowerMacMan, why did they make you go outside during a tornado siren? Is this a new way to reduce the number of employees?

Forum Links
Forum Rules