Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pop-Up's in Safari 3 Beta!!!

Pop-Up's in Safari 3 Beta!!!
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2007, 09:55 AM

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that there are a ton more Pop-Ups in Safari 3 Beta than there were in Safari 2. Maybe its because its beta, but maybe the pop-up blocker is easier to bypass on the new Safari. I hope its because its beta.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 01:06 PM

I haven't seen too many. You sure you didn't accidentally turn popup blocking off (command-K)? I found I've done this a fair bit when I try to connect to a server from Finder and I have Safari in the foreground. Then I get a bunch of popups and get angry and notice later that it was me who turned it off because the wrong app had focus when I used that key combo.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 01:08 PM

No, no pop-ups that I notice in Safari 3. It rarely happened in Safari 2, and I haven't been using Safari 3 for as long, but I notice no difference. Less pop-ups if anything.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I haven't seen too many. You sure you didn't accidentally turn popup blocking off (command-K)? I found I've done this a fair bit when I try to connect to a server from Finder and I have Safari in the foreground. Then I get a bunch of popups and get angry and notice later that it was me who turned it off because the wrong app had focus when I used that key combo.
Same here. I also hit Command-K a lot if I'm going for Command-L (Open Location) and miss.

What I did to fix that was to go to the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane and change the shortcut for Block Pop-Up Windows to Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-Shift-* so I'd never hit it my mistake again. It has made things much less frustrating.

Frankly, I don't see why Block Pop-Up Windows needs a shortcut at all. It should be on by default with no shortcut as most users very rarely ever need to turn it off.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 01:27 PM

Allowing or disabling the popups is actually Shift-Command-K, not just Command-K.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 02:20 PM

Huh, that must have changed in Safari 3 or something. I distinctly remember it being Command-K in older versions.

I wouldn't have noticed a change, of course, since I've had the shortcut overridden for some time now.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 02:35 PM

I get one or two a day in Safari 3. I got none in 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules