Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > BatChmod settings? I don't have proper permissions to copy drive.

BatChmod settings? I don't have proper permissions to copy drive.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2012, 09:45 AM

Because I want a secondary backup before the 10.7.3 update and because I have this login icon problem, I'm backing up everything now.

However, for some reason if I try to use Restore in Disk Utility to copy the data drive to the backup it says I can't block copy it. Can't remember the reason. So I tried just drag copying the directories over. It says several of the directories couldn't be copied because I didn't have the right permissions.

How best should I set the permissions? I want to use BatChmod to do this.

Should I just set everything (except Dropbox) to:

Owner: eug RWX
Group: admin R X
Everyone: R X

Dropbox is currently set as below, and I'd leave it the same:

Everyone: No access

Or for my pictures subdirectory, should I just set everything to:

Group: admin RWX
Everyone: RWX

I figure setting the pictures subdirectory as RWX for everybody is fine, but I'm not too sure about my Aperture and iTunes directories. Does mucking about with those potentially cause problems?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2012, 10:03 AM

BTW, I'm using SuperDuper! in the meantime to copy the drive over. How's that these days, in the era of Lion, vs. Carbon Copy Cloner?

I didn't use Disk Utility for the reason mentioned above.

P
Feb 6, 2012, 11:29 AM

If you're talking about your system drive,

DON'T BATCH MODIFY THE PERMISSIONS.

For one thing, there are other permissions than read/write/execute, namely the setuid and setgid bits, which may or may not be modified by an action like this. For another, there are files & folders that must not have their permissions changed or the computer won't boot.

Use a cloning app or make a tarball. I think CCC 3.4 works with Lion.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2012, 11:41 AM

This is not my boot disk. I have my iMac's internal hard disk partitioned into a boot partition and a data partition.

I want to modify the permissions only on the data partition. (My Aperture, Dropbox, and iTunes directories are all on the data partition.)

I wonder if the permissions issue is related to document files I created/used on other machines. Some of those machines don't have "eug" as my user name, so ownership may be under a different username. Plus, the data has been migrated several times over the years from older machines to newer machines, if that makes any difference. It's annoying that when I try to move over certain photo or document subdirectories for example, it fails because of permissions issues. I would then modify permissions on that single subdirectory (or single file in that subdirectory) and it'd work fine, but if I try to copy over an entire disk, I run into the same problem. I presume it's same permissions issue, but I don't want to go through the subdirectories one by one to see which are the offending ones, because that would take me just about forever.

P
Feb 6, 2012, 11:49 AM

In that case, just tell the Finder to ignore permissions on that drive. Get Info for the drive and check the box - I'm assuming Lion didn't remove that feature? You can then reenable it when the copy operation is over.

I'm very wary of big recursive chmod operations. I would much rather try to find the offending files and correct them selectively.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2012, 12:15 PM

The find cli command will search by permissions
Linux Commands - A practical reference examples.

P
Feb 6, 2012, 01:06 PM

So will Spotlight from the Finder. Add a few extra lines of options, select "Owner" as the thing to search for (it's in the list under "Other") and search for anything not your own userid or root.

Forum Links
Forum Rules